Jump to content
IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK


QuackQuack
 Share

Recommended Posts

This may have been answered and I may have already asked the question myself... but here we go. 

 

My replacement 1TB card is coming today, I have installed a bunch of stuff on my 512. Now if for example I have Grid Autosport on my 512, can I just install it again on my 1TB and have it on both? Or do I need to delete it from my 512, before it allows me to install to the 1TB? If that makes sense.

 

The reason I ask, is that if I get the 1TB to work this time around, I will then format the 512 so it is empty and use it for emulation or Windows. But I don't want to wipe it until I know my new card works. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, bradigor said:

This may have been answered and I may have already asked the question myself... but here we go. 

 

My replacement 1TB card is coming today, I have installed a bunch of stuff on my 512. Now if for example I have Grid Autosport on my 512, can I just install it again on my 1TB and have it on both? Or do I need to delete it from my 512, before it allows me to install to the 1TB? If that makes sense.

 

The reason I ask, is that if I get the 1TB to work this time around, I will then format the 512 so it is empty and use it for emulation or Windows. But I don't want to wipe it until I know my new card works. 

 

Don't have a steamdeck yet, but couldn't you duplicate the 512 card using something like usbimager onto the 1tb, then extend the partition on the 1tb so it fills the disk (not sure what partition type SD uses) using eg gparted on linux.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It should let you install it again, it comes up as such when I switch between my SD card with Emulation Stuff and Tekken 7 and my normal SD card.

There's nothing stopping you from just copying the SD card wholesale to the new card once it's formatted, either. It'll just verify the files are correct and re-validate the license to play when you start them up, IIRC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Siri said:

It should let you install it again, it comes up as such when I switch between my SD card with Emulation Stuff and Tekken 7 and my normal SD card.

There's nothing stopping you from just copying the SD card wholesale to the new card once it's formatted, either. It'll just verify the files are correct and re-validate the license to play when you start them up, IIRC.

 

Cool. To be honest, it is probably quicker to redownload anyway for the games I have on there. Just wanted to be sure I could do it whilst a game installation was still 'registered' to another card. It just means I can now also leave things like Mixolumia, Isaac, etc on both cards and have those ready no matter which card is in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my limited experience, the only times I've had games have a fit is when:

 

- game saves haven't been synced before switching media, and/or

- you've moved your compatdata to your SD card, and the compatdata is on a different card to the game you're playing.

 

I basically had a bit of a mare getting Tekken 7 working again after I moved the game to another SD card, and then all of the excess data to another SD card and made a symlink. Of course, switching the SD cards again meant that Tekken 7 had no saves or compatibility data to reference.

 

Basically, the solution was to make a blank compatdata folder in the Tekken 7 SD card, which then prompted Steam to download saves from Steam Cloud and set up the WINE file structure again. a couple of long-ass start up screens with restarts later, it was working again.

 

Of course, this is exceptionally abnormal circumstances of my own doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's all working. So will look at just using my other card for Emulation and maybe even as just switch games if I can do a portable install of yuzu 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, I'm having very little joy with Emudeck so far outside of RPCS3 - PPSSPP performs abysmally with the preset Retroarch core and settings, and PS1/Saturn just does not want to know on Retroarch either. Thankfully Standalone PPSSPP and Duckstation work miles better when clicking over to them on Emulation Station.

 

With the standalones working better, I'm thinking it's a problem with the BIOS files I have, so I'll sort them out when I have time later in the week - but I'm still considering binning off Retroarch altogether for other standalones like Ares and Mednafen, if only to feel better about not supporting the RA team's shenanigans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Siri said:

Man, I'm having very little joy with Emudeck so far outside of RPCS3 - PPSSPP performs abysmally with the preset Retroarch core and settings, and PS1/Saturn just does not want to know on Retroarch either. Thankfully Standalone PPSSPP and Duckstation work miles better when clicking over to them on Emulation Station.

 

With the standalones working better, I'm thinking it's a problem with the BIOS files I have, so I'll sort them out when I have time later in the week - but I'm still considering binning off Retroarch altogether for other standalones like Ares and Mednafen, if only to feel better about not supporting the RA team's shenanigans.


in the little emulation experience I have and what I’ve read it’s almost always better to use standalone emulators rather than use retroarch.  More setting up but you generally get better results I’ve found. Still waiting for my email from Valve, I’m in the June to September batch :( 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry if this has been asked before: but what's a good, cheap USB-C dock for the SD? I have two(!) docks at work, both DisplayLink and hence not working :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Are screen protectors recommend even for the 512GB version? It has a different screen, right?

 

If they are still recommended, is there a particular favourite? Thanks.


They're not really recommended for the 512, because it'll affect the etched screen's ability to reduce reflections (which is, uh, the 512gb screen's intended purpose).

Especially with spares coming into the market thanks to ifixit, I'd probably risk going without on the screen. Personally, of course.

In other news: I fixed my Emudeck problems by getting another BIOS pack and dumping it into the folder twice because I'm an idiot who can't remember how it was set up in the first place - so there's a set of BIOS files in /bios/, and a set of BIOSes in /bios/system/. Everything works great on the default settings now, and it's a night and day difference on PPSSPP (although Gran Turismo PSP is still being a shit to run outside of Standalone).

But hey: portable Burning Rangers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've ordered a 256 nvme after getting a bit of back owed PiP so week be able to be in a position to upgrade soon and get emulation sorted again 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Counting down the days so now it's time to ask...

 

Is there a FAQ post for how to get various things running? eg Game Pass Cloud, Epic and GOG stores, PS3 emulation 

 

Also, I know the official dock isn't out yet so what's everyone been using?

 

I presume it's easy enough to pair controllers and wireless headphones? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's no set FAQ while a lot of people wanting to make solutions still haven't got a hold of theirs - it's basically a moving target. You could probably search the thread for answers in the meantime.

 

As for pairing, I've had no problems with Bluetooth headphones. Should be the same with controllers and they recently added controller reassigning, but I have read reports that it won't remember controller/player order after a restart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hawklord said:

Is there a FAQ post for how to get various things running? eg Game Pass Cloud


I followed this. Worked perfectly, even typing with the on-screen keyboard.

 


Game Pass streaming on this thing is bloody amazing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HARDSPACE: SHIPBREAKER
 

Despite it saying ‘unsupported’ I was able to get this running on my steamdeck just fine. You’ll have to bring the keyboard up manually to put your name in and then alter the resolution and graphics* in the settings and I was able to play the tutorial with no issues.

 

Remains to be seen if if chokes later on in the game or has a memory leak** issue.

 

*Set it all on max and put anti aliasing on, was getting 50+ fps

** I don’t really know what this means but someone suggested that on Reddit 

 

yes, I put this in the game thread too but probably worth mentioning here, it’s one of the highest rated games of the year thus far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent. Been on my wishlist for ages. Getting up close and personal with Foss/Harris spaceships is my jam, especially if I can do so on Deck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just on a separate note... how fucking amazing is this bit of kit?

 

A literal gamechanger for my playing habits.

 

Genuinely couldn’t be more impressed by it, or its endless utility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve had mine just over a week and am very impressed and I I haven’t done any real tinkering (like adding epic games store and so on) at all. That’s probably my next step.

 

The only issue I have so far is, as I haven’t had a PC before, this is a whole new avenue of games for me so I keep wanting to buy more and not really playing them. Usually I’d get a console at launch and not have a huge catalogue of options. I mean, it’s not the worst issue in the world, granted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I’ve had mine just over a week and am very impressed and I I haven’t done any real tinkering (like adding epic games store and so on) at all. That’s probably my next step.

 

The only issue I have so far is, as I haven’t had a PC before, this is a whole new avenue of games for me so I keep wanting to buy more and not really playing them. Usually I’d get a console at launch and not have a huge catalogue of options. I mean, it’s not the worst issue in the world, granted.

Just wait for a steam sale.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once you overcome some initial hurdles and accept the hassle surrounding non-Steam games it is indeed absolutely marvelous. Game changer for playing habits is spot on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I’ve had mine just over a week and am very impressed and I I haven’t done any real tinkering (like adding epic games store and so on) at all. That’s probably my next step.

 

The only issue I have so far is, as I haven’t had a PC before, this is a whole new avenue of games for me so I keep wanting to buy more and not really playing them. Usually I’d get a console at launch and not have a huge catalogue of options. I mean, it’s not the worst issue in the world, granted.

Humble Choice is a really good way to build up your library. Many of the monthly games end up being playable/verified and end up costing about £1 ish each and you'll find people hating on it, but they're normally PC gamers who already have an established library. For new PC players, it is such a cheap and reliable way to pick up a few games every month for next to nothing. And they're spaced out every month so you don't end up installed 25 games at once.

 

They also have a deck bundle which isn't super appealing to me (already own half the games vis other bundles/giveaways) but nonetheless cheap to pick up a bunch of games at once

 

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/handheld-pc-power-bundle?hmb_source=&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_1_layout_index_1_layout_type_threes_tile_index_2_c_handheldpcpowerbundle_bundle

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, Humble is how I ended up with an embarrassing amount of games to play.

 

You could argue that neither Steam Sales and Humble Bundles have retained their value prospect over the years, but I personally think it's optics in the face of gamers who have bought into these sales for a decade by now - and it's still a chunk saved over console gaming.

 

Also, check out Fanatical and Indiegala for the occasional 'good game + tat for pennies' bundles that occur - likewise, isthereanydeal.com will provide an overview of what's on offer if it isn't big enough to show up on HotUKDeals.

 

And as always, CDKeys and Greenmangaming for new games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Baws (and sort of yay). After no updates since mine shipped, I checked the tracking this morning to find that not only has it arrived in the UK but has cleared customs in record time and is currently out for delivery by ParcelForce. I'm praying that they leave a card and don't try to deliver to my psycho neighbour:/

 

Screenshot_20220602-111900.thumb.png.b8da7bef25bcabde173fbc34a86e5649.png

 

Edit: Delivered to non psycho neighbour. Should be able to pick up from them when I get home on Saturday, phew.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.