IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

19 hours ago, Strafe said:

HARDSPACE: SHIPBREAKER

Despite it saying ‘unsupported’ I was able to get this running on my steamdeck just fine. You’ll have to bring the keyboard up manually to put your name in and then alter the resolution and graphics* in the settings and I was able to play the tutorial with no issues.

Remains to be seen if if chokes later on in the game or has a memory leak** issue.

*Set it all on max and put anti aliasing on, was getting 50+ fps

** I don’t really know what this means but someone suggested that on Reddit 

yes, I put this in the game thread too but probably worth mentioning here, it’s one of the highest rated games of the year thus far.

2.5 hours of play and only one crash, which happened when I put it in 40hz mode and then subsequently not being able to load in using 40hz mode so I put it back to 60 (where it will maintain a 50-60fps rate). Remains to be seen if it starts choking with bigger ships and more things floating around.

Just watched a YT video where someone connected his Xbox controller via BT with the SD. Are all Xbox controllers capable of doing that? I usually connect mine to my PC via the Wireless Adapter (non-BT technology).

Yeah, the earliest Xbox One pads (with the shiny plastic bit at the top) didn't have Bluetooth. Any of them released after that should work though.

The adapter is still required for some functionality on Windows, like the headphone jack, but otherwise Bluetooth works perfectly.

So...they want me to send my steamdeck back and send me a replacement because they cannot fix that the trackpads and buttons just refuse to work on desktop mode unless I hold the steamdeck button in or use an external keyboard instead.

Surely they would have been better advising that I wipe the deck first and try again...I mean, I am going to need to wipe it to send it back anyway.

30 minutes ago, Bonzai1888 said:

So...they want me to send my steamdeck back and send me a replacement because they cannot fix that the trackpads and buttons just refuse to work on desktop mode unless I hold the steamdeck button in or use an external keyboard instead.

Surely they would have been better advising that I wipe the deck first and try again...I mean, I am going to need to wipe it to send it back anyway.

I mean maybe. But then how much does everyone hate being taken through a whole sequence of steps that "might" work? Have you turned it off and on again? Have you factory reset? Have you turned it off and on again? Have you held it upside down? What about that off and on again thing?

Straight up replacement can make life much simpler in terms of consumer hassle (and how smart or knowledgeable their support staff or experts system has to be).

And if you know a bit more then yes, maybe you can try the simple things like factory reset or clearing any custom installations. It's stuff like this that I think will make the deck (or any PC platform) a little tricky over time. The hardware is standard but user's setup will not be after a while. And as time goes on it becomes less attractive to reset depending on how saves and settings backup works across the range of services and apps users are using.

@bradigor (I think). Titanfall 2 multiplayer seems reasonably active, you can get into a match within 2-3 minutes (which will usually be attrition as part of the mixtape playlist). The downside is that you're likely to get rinsed by PC KB&M players whilst using a controller. It's like £3 though and you obviously have the great campaign mode, too. 

I'm often amused when the campaign for Titanfall 2 is tossed in as an afterthought.

It's so good I think it should be law that even responses to questions about the multiplayer should be prefaced by statements about how good the campaign is.

4 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

I'm often amused when the campaign for Titanfall 2 is tossed in as an afterthought.

It was tossed in as an afterthought because it was in direct response to a query a few pages back that specifically asked how active the multiplayer is.

7 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

It's so good I think it should be law that even responses to questions about the multiplayer should be prefaced by statements about how good the campaign is.

Just like splatoon 2

Picked up my Deck from my neighbour earlier and eventually got time to sit and play around with it and I'm impressed so far. I knew it was fairly large but I didn't expect that lol

Had to do a bit of fannying around but I now have XCloud working :D 

I'm too tired to do do anything more with it due to travelling all day so you can expect some n00b questions tomorrow 😛

PXL_20220604_203550733.thumb.jpg.ea4d7858f1a5c39415ff23820093c1cc.jpg

4 hours ago, Strafe said:

It was tossed in as an afterthought because it was in direct response to a query a few pages back that specifically asked how active the multiplayer is.

Oh I know - the part you didn't quote directly referred to that. I wasn't having a go, I was using it as another opportunity to say how great the campaign is.

So great, in fact, that even people who ask directly about the multiplayer should be first reminded of the teachings of our lord and saviour BT-7274.

PCSX2 has various problems with Gamepad configurations on the SD. Acc. to their official forums and Reddit on PC there is a plugin called "LilyPad" which fixes a lot of these issues. Not on SD though :(

Wasn't Lilypad the default pad plugin for PCSX2 for the longest time?

Of course, PCSX2 has moved on from the plugin system, so it's strange lilypad would not have been rolled into the program. Standard Xinput doesn't handle pressure sensitive buttons like the PS2 controller had, only triggers and sticks IIRC.

I haven't touched PS2 emulation for a hot minute - I'd be tempted to grab an older version of PCSX2, but that in itself would lead to more grief than it would solve (particularly, graphics plugins, which was absolute balls in comparison to just slumming it with a digital controller).

On 05/06/2022 at 10:53, the_debaser said:

Titanfall 2’s campaign is stellar when you are running and gunning, but takes a nosedive when you’re forced to use a Titan. I’d love it if they made a campaign without all that. 

Those sections are short enough and empowering enough to work, IMO.

Nope, Xenia doesn't work yet - any Xenia video you're seeing is through Windows on the Steam Deck. Tried running the windows version through Proton like what's currently being done with Cemu, you can get to loading a game and then the entire thing closes - and that's with forcing Vulkan to be the only renderer, too.

A proper Linux version is being worked on, though, expected some time nearer winter. I don't know if it will be much cop, though - Xenia mostly relied on DX12 during development, so unless the Canary version has changed things very recently, it'll run far worse by default.

Doesn't Lollipop Chainsaw have a PS3 version? I thought it was Shadows of the Damned that only had a 360 version for some reason, but it turns out that was on PS3 too.

2 minutes ago, Siri said:

Doesn't Lollipop Chainsaw have a PS3 version? I thought it was Shadows of the Damned that only had a 360 version for some reason, but it turns out that was on PS3 too.

Yeah. PS3 version runs fine too

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK