Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

it goes into my library on game mode for sure.

Any idea why the controller isn’t working?

Also, when I put the first text string into the Kommand console it gets an error rather than the zero response in that video. I’ve checked the text very carefully 

3 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Then you have made an error. Can you C&P the Konsole text from the link? Because that is 100% why controls don't work.

I’ll give that a go next, should be able to in desktop mode.

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Yeah keyboard shortcuts work fine. You can then be 100% sure you have all the right spaces etc 

Got it working! Many thanks. The screen is slightly letterboxed, which I’m assuming is deliberate?

14 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Got it working! Many thanks. The screen is slightly letterboxed, which I’m assuming is deliberate?

The steam deck screen is 16:10 so yes 

20 minutes ago, Strafe said:

No worries, glad it worked.

14 minutes ago, bradigor said:

No worries, glad it worked.

For anyone doing this there needs to be a single space before the second bit of copy and paste otherwise it won’t work (or didn’t for me)

Gamepass via xcloud. The video quality is a bit washed out and blurry - and I’m on a good connection - but I managed a win royale on fortnite so it’s doing something right. 

Fahrenheit Remastered is considered a "native" game. Wasn't working for me. Well, turns out you need to tinker a bit to actually get it running (edit: even then it won't run after showing the launcher) O_o

From a user at ProtonDB: "The game works fine with both native linux and with Proton, with the proton version it faild to start i had to go to the game files (not wine), there was a folder called "Fahrenheit.exe.local" i coppied all .dll to the main folder where Fahrenheit.exe is and the game run no problems, the only problem i had was when loading the menu and the game the window "

Gave a couple of the new indies that were announced during the start of GeoffFest a whirl on the deck, as there's demos on Steam. Both were set to Proton Experimental before running them.

Anger Foot - A bit graphically aggressive in terms of FPS drops, but literally everything was set to high by default and max framerate was set to something like 300fps so it might have been a frame pacing thing. Still, kicked some doors in to hardbass and it was pretty good.

Midnight Fight Express - The intro video where it shows the developer name and the preview videos on the skill tree are glitched out, so I'm guessing a codec problem that will be solved with GE. thankfully, the actual plot is driven entirely in-game, which runs and plays beautifully.

Got a selection to play (Cult of the Lamb, Metal Hellsinger, Dome Keeper and Grappin), but it doesn't look like the Neon White demo is back up on Steam yet, though. I'll have to double check on the desktop client (mainly because I also can't get the Ganryu 2 demo, so I'm thinking it's just missing a link somewhere), but I really want another crack on it before the full game next week.

4 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I couldn’t get metal hellsinger to boot, unfortunately.

Yep, same - apparently requires some .DLL file that's in one of the Microsoft redistributable resources. You can do it with Protontricks, apparently.

But, uh, I'm not bothered enough. I wasn't really a fan of a similar rhythm FPS game (BPM: Bullets Per Minute), so anything that's a faff as in addition is just getting dropped.

Tried Grappin - worked okay with a few settings tweaks even without setting anything (including Proton - running native?), but like Supraland which is also Unreal Engine it's an absolute battery hog as it hammers the GPU, and it didn't look like it wanted to keep within the TDP settings I usually set.

Still no Neon White demo :( I really want to give it a blast on the deck. You know, to check for optimisations, and nothing to do with it being really fun even on a worse Linux box I have.

The main annoying thing is not being able to run my emulation MicroSD card from a card reader at the same time as having my 1TB card in the main slot. I don't want to ideally keep swapping cards. Especially when you need to turjn it off and on to do.

7 hours ago, MattKB said:

Anyone using their deck docked at all and can you recommend any docking gear?

I have this one and it's great

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BLXG7C1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finished Elden ring on PS5. Wondering what to do with my life now. Existential angst etc. 

Then boom my preorder has finally arrived yesterday (Thursday). 

Now the waiting game. 

The Steam Deck is love and hate for me. Love that you can do this with PC/Steam games now:

PXL_20220610_072946209.thumb.jpg.dbc3bcb0f531b08224e30b731d43d26b.jpg

Still absolutely hate the processes concerning non-Steam games and discovering that "native" doesn't necessarily mean it will work on SD. Also, how the hell do I uninstall non-Steam games? Deleting the folder in steamapps?

Overall impression is positive though, especially with Steam games and 80% of emulated ones. Battery is quite bad for me on newer PC games, way better when emulating. Fan is okay IMO.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK