Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

7 hours ago, Strafe said:

What does the FSR do, exactly? I haven’t seen it so much on a couple of games I tried. 

I added a bit to something I wrote before, but still should explain it:

On 28/05/2022 at 05:05, Siri said:

In layman's terms, it's AMD's version of upscaling software. It has the unique property that, while it's shit compared to Nvidia's DLSS, the first version of it can be applied to anything.

You don't really need it outside of games that are too graphically intensive for the deck and you need to eek out FPS instead of setting a cap. And honestly, any game that does need upscaling probably has the option in the settings, which in turn does a better job (as it knows where to apply it).

The general idea for the SteamOS FSR is that you bump the resolution of a game down to get more FPS, set the game to windowed mode (if it isn't already), and then flick FSR on. it then upscales the image back to native.

If it's an option in a game, you just set the option instead of a resolution, and the game should just handle what's going on.

(The updated 2.0 version of FSR is good, so pick that if you ever get a choice, but it actually requires to be built into the game and it only came out a week or so ago)

21 hours ago, Zio said:

On this subject, my dream of no longer letting toilet breaks stop me grinding internet spaceships can finally be a reality!

IMG_5664.thumb.jpg.cd9a4e8c70f71a3252d5fded283b3d79.jpg

omfg.... ED in bed....

7 hours ago, Siri said:

I added a bit to something I wrote before, but still should explain it:

Does the game need to be in windowed mode to do it (and how do you set that?)

presumable having FSR bumped up to max is the way forward when it does work?

3 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Does the game need to be in windowed mode to do it (and how do you set that?)

presumable having FSR bumped up to max is the way forward when it does work?

If it's not in windowed mode already, it'll be somewhere in the game's settings. The performance thingy in Steam detects when global FSR is on, so it should be clear.

As for the FSR setting - well, it depends on your definition of what looks good. Ultimately, FSR's performance-orientated settings degrade the image quality by a lot (and when it comes to global FSR, that includes text/UI, too).

But again, global FSR is free to just switch on and see how it is. There's no harm trying it, going 'yuck' and just capping a framerate instead.

If I get the mods to edit your posts to say ‘next day delivery’ then that becomes the truth right?!?

(thanks everyone. Fingers crossed I sneak in before the weekend) 

just found the above in my browser cache. Clearly forgot to submit. 

buuuuuut it’s here!! Fuck yes!

For the first time in my life I own a gaming pc. Kinda. 

Installed Heroic Launcher which turned out to be very straightforward. But, the 2 games I wanted to play aren't showing up in my library! Anno 1800 & Disco Elysium. Anyone got a clue as to why? They both show in my PC version 😕 

Managed to finally sort out getting ftp to work between Steam Deck and Windows. Rather than relying on Warpinator, as that has no dark mode on either Linux or Windows and is stupidly hard to use. 

Now I can drag and drop into the actual folders I want things. Espeiclaly when it comes to ROMS. 

Makes it also super easy for transferring my saves between the Ambernic and Steam Deck using the PC as a go between. What I am hoping I can do most of all is get my save files from my Switch and add those to my Steam Deck and PC easily. 

Had a teeny tiny bit of a bother last night with Tekken 7.

Bought the Definitive Edition last night because it's cheap to get all the DLC, even if I already had the game (IndieGala, 20-ish quid btw).

Problem is, I had my install on another SD card on the deck, so when I started up the game I had to wait about 5 minutes for the game to initialise because it's figuring out what to do with the updated permissions to play the unlocked stuff.

Also, I had it crash at the end of a game. Not during - literally when I clicked the 'next battle' button at the end of a treasure battle stint.

Horrific. Unplayable. I can't believe I'm having such conditions playing Tekken 7, an Valve certified Unsupported Steam Deck game.

Might as well run it over with my car. Fuck, dude.

Anyway, I'm going to learn how Armour King has changed during my lunch. Bye

Quick question about PrimeHacks

Last time I tried to use it I think I messed up. I used the Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii, but couldn't get it configured to work properly at all. Has anyone else had a try at doing it yet? My issue was with controls in the end. 

This is a lovely little (big) thing isn't it? Sometimes needs a bit of fiddling to get everything working (particularly emulation) but nothing excessive, and if you are a PC Gamer that's always been the price of entry. I have been holding off starting Yakuza: Like a Dragon for the arrival of my Deck and it was worth the wait - looks stunning and plays perfectly.

image.png.c6ec917b9d5ddab7a465af007f72aefe.png

Deck Verified at launch, like Elden Ring. Let's hope it's not 70 fucking quid this time around, eh?

(It'll be 50 quid and will be punted into the wishlist realm until it's a tenner)

In other news (as per its own thread), Neon White got verified a couple hours after launch yesterday. Which makes sense, as it works a treat.

So, uh, I bought FF7R. turns out GMG were offering another tenner off for Gold XP members on top of the dumb discount on the overly inflated RRP, and I got paid this week. I figured that was a fair price for the game and the bundled DLC.

Even worse, my stupid ass tried to be smart by downloading the game on my desktop computer and transferring it over as it's wired in by Ethernet - ended up taking an extra hour to plonk it on the SD card, and then it turned out I had to free up 100gb on the same SD card to force Steam to recognise I already had the game on the SD card. It figured itself out and gave me back the space straight away, which was nice, but still a faff.

Despite all that, and even with this still being the basic-ass port that was on EGS, it.. actually runs quite well at the default 30fps cap, and looks incredible. Even more shocking is that over the first two chapters, I heard the fan maybe a couple of times - current settings pegs the GPU at about 90%, and hits around 70c so the newer fan profile is still mostly passive.

Which is, to be honest, surprising considering it's the remake of final fantasy 7 located in the entire vicinity of my hands. It's bonkers.

EDIT: I went and raised the cap to 60, and dropped the shadow quality. It works, but it looks as though the dynamic resolution becomes very overzealous and the image quality is very hazy at that point - the fan also gets a bit more aggressive (not to the extent of Gen Zero's 60fps).

40fps/40hz works quite well - still a soft image, but not as aggressive - in addition, the smoothness of the 60fps target is maintained, it's a lot more stable and the fan is still tamed. I noticed a bit of audio desync in cutscenes, but maybe it's JPN > ENG lipsyncing issues.

Also, unrelated to deck stuff, I absolutely adore how FF7R plays. It's a genuinely good blend of hack and slash while keeping the JRPG command stuff alive.

I decided to move away from SteamGrid for my ROM artwork. Instead now I have an ftp connecttion between PC and Deck I am using skraper to get artwork, then pointing SRM to that instead of scraping SteamGridDB.

Good video here for anyone that wants to try it.

and here is how it is finding all my stuff so far.

image.thumb.png.cc7f30a40902c194aa76ef051d6697b3.png

8 hours ago, Siri said:

So, uh, I bought FF7R. turns out GMG were offering another tenner off for Gold XP members on top of the dumb discount on the overly inflated RRP, and I got paid this week. I figured that was a fair price for the game and the bundled DLC.

Even worse, my stupid ass tried to be smart by downloading the game on my desktop computer and transferring it over as it's wired in by Ethernet - ended up taking an extra hour to plonk it on the SD card, and then it turned out I had to free up 100gb on the same SD card to force Steam to recognise I already had the game on the SD card. It figured itself out and gave me back the space straight away, which was nice, but still a faff.

Despite all that, and even with this still being the basic-ass port that was on EGS, it.. actually runs quite well at the default 30fps cap, and looks incredible. Even more shocking is that over the first two chapters, I heard the fan maybe a couple of times - current settings pegs the GPU at about 90%, and hits around 70c so the newer fan profile is still mostly passive.

Which is, to be honest, surprising considering it's the remake of final fantasy 7 located in the entire vicinity of my hands. It's bonkers.

EDIT: I went and raised the cap to 60, and dropped the shadow quality. It works, but it looks as though the dynamic resolution becomes very overzealous and the image quality is very hazy at that point - the fan also gets a bit more aggressive (not to the extent of Gen Zero's 60fps).

40fps/40hz works quite well - still a soft image, but not as aggressive - in addition, the smoothness of the 60fps target is maintained, it's a lot more stable and the fan is still tamed. I noticed a bit of audio desync in cutscenes, but maybe it's JPN > ENG lipsyncing issues.

Also, unrelated to deck stuff, I absolutely adore how FF7R plays. It's a genuinely good blend of hack and slash while keeping the JRPG command stuff alive.

I’m tempted, even though I have it on PS5/ps plus.

I'd only really recommend it if you're not willing to wait until Christmas for decent promo codes, and you have access to a GMG discount that will put it under £40.

It really is quite a bare bones port - you can disable the dynamic resolution scaling and force the game to run on DX11 to get rid of the most egregious issues with the game (and that's for any PC, not just the deck), but the reality is that this sort of thing should be in the bloody settings - especially when it's UE5 and all that stuff is readily manageable with third party software hooks.

I haven't forced DX11 yet, but I've already done the resolution fix, which is basically dropping some files into the game folder - after that, you can force the game to run at 610p via SteamOS, turn on FSR and it looks infinitely sharper and runs better for 5 minutes of fucking around, lol.

Admittedly, those five minutes could be five minutes on Neon White, and that's an infinitely better idea for the money.

1 hour ago, Siri said:

I'd only really recommend it if you're not willing to wait until Christmas for decent promo codes, and you have access to a GMG discount that will put it under £40.

It really is quite a bare bones port - you can disable the dynamic resolution scaling and force the game to run on DX11 to get rid of the most egregious issues with the game (and that's for any PC, not just the deck), but the reality is that this sort of thing should be in the bloody settings - especially when it's UE5 and all that stuff is readily manageable with third party software hooks.

I haven't forced DX11 yet, but I've already done the resolution fix, which is basically dropping some files into the game folder - after that, you can force the game to run at 610p via SteamOS, turn on FSR and it looks infinitely sharper and runs better for 5 minutes of fucking around, lol.

Admittedly, those five minutes could be five minutes on Neon White, and that's an infinitely better idea for the money.

How do you get one of these GMG discounts like you did?

58 minutes ago, MattKB said:

I’m getting serious fomo now - mine still says due between April and June, does that predictive tracking still work / still running? 

I'm not sure but at least you'll get the email in the next 2 weeks.

Just now, Strafe said:

How do you get one of these GMG discounts like you did?

It just showed up at the checkout, iirc. Tells you that you have an offer for you when you log in and buy the game.

I think there's also codes floating around, but I don't know how to get them outside of hawking codes from Reddit, sorry.

21 hours ago, Siri said:

How do you force DX11 on the deck? It looks nice but a little fuzzy so if I can clean it up then great.

Or this dropping some files thing?

5 minutes ago, Strafe said:

How do you force DX11 on the deck? It looks nice but a little fuzzy so if I can clean it up then great.

Or this dropping some files thing?

The fuzzy cleaning thing is a drop-in file.

You can follow this guide. Remember to restart a couple of times as the guide suggests. The most complicated thing was logging into my old Nexus Mods account to get the mod in the fucking first place :lol:

How would one of these be for a complete PC n00b? If it’s a case of just needing to update periodically I guess I’d be fine (plus I’m sure there’s plenty of guides for doing anything more than that)

I’m assuming could play some Game Pass titles, and quite fancy a new toy for my two or three days commuting. Did like the look of the Odin thing, but this would do more?

In no hurry to get it, a good thing with the backlog, plus need to save some pocket money first. But tempted.

26 minutes ago, glb said:

How would one of these be for a complete PC n00b? If it’s a case of just needing to update periodically I guess I’d be fine (plus I’m sure there’s plenty of guides for doing anything more than that)

I’m assuming could play some Game Pass titles, and quite fancy a new toy for my two or three days commuting. Did like the look of the Odin thing, but this would do more?

In no hurry to get it, a good thing with the backlog, plus need to save some pocket money first. But tempted.

It all depends on what you want. 

Check your steam library against https://checkmydeck.herokuapp.com/ and see how many games you have that are green and yellow. If there is plenty then it is as simple as a modern console. 

If you want to add emulation, games from unsupported systems, etc. Then it is more involved. 

Game Pass streaming is a bit of a half way house. It requires some extra steps, but there is a simple guide from Microsoft to get in installed. 

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK