Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

26 minutes ago, bradigor said:

It all depends on what you want. 

Check your steam library against https://checkmydeck.herokuapp.com/ and see how many games you have that are green and yellow. If there is plenty then it is as simple as a modern console. 

If you want to add emulation, games from unsupported systems, etc. Then it is more involved. 

Game Pass streaming is a bit of a half way house. It requires some extra steps, but there is a simple guide from Microsoft to get in installed. 

Think I’d like a decent handheld, that offers versatility. I’ve built a raspberry pi for emulation previously (so maybe not a complete n00b) but that was very much following a video with straightforward steps.

A bit of emulation would be cool, but otherwise a broad selection of games on the go.

No doubt I’ll just end up playing SWOS on it.

25 minutes ago, glb said:

Think I’d like a decent handheld, that offers versatility. I’ve built a raspberry pi for emulation previously (so maybe not a complete n00b) but that was very much following a video with straightforward steps.

A bit of emulation would be cool, but otherwise a broad selection of games on the go.

I've got a

1tb card that is used for Steam games*

512gb card for emulation
Game Pass app on main SSD

*plus recently installed Heroic launcher for Epic and GOG. 

The seperate cards mean I can fuck around with one, without the issue of losing my main library on the 1tb. 

However you can get LOADS without even scratching beyond the main interface. 

Hell, if you're still local, I'd happily help you with bits when you get one. Or try mine out and see what you think. 

Cheers Brad, in South Woodham so not far away! I’ll have a look at some videos on the YouTube to get an idea in the meantime but will tap you up. Got a three month probation on my new job so will put aside a little bit until I pass that and see*.

Call this preliminary research.

*order.

2 hours ago, Siri said:

The fuzzy cleaning thing is a drop-in file.

You can follow this guide. Remember to restart a couple of times as the guide suggests. The most complicated thing was logging into my old Nexus Mods account to get the mod in the fucking first place :lol:

Cheers! And thank you also for answering my many questions as of late.

2 hours ago, glb said:

For pure emulation you're better with something like a retroid pocket 2 plus, it's so dinky and neat. But in terms of power it's like comparing a ps2 to a series X or something.

Wish someone would make a site that would show you best settings for games based on what FPS you want to target. 

Lowest you can set TCP, can you get more from FSR and lower Res, etc 

10 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Wish someone would make a site that would show you best settings for games based on what FPS you want to target. 

The amount of effort involved in something like this would be very non-trivial.

You need to find stress points to test the settings against if you are after stable performance 99% of the time and the more configs you have to test, the more time it would take. Multiply that between the Gazillion PC games available...

What is surprising is that nobody has bothered setting up some sort of community hivemind effort, there must be enough early adopting enthusiasts with both the skillset and can be arsed attitude to put in some legwork on it.

If I owned one, I'd definitely be rolling my own custom configs on any games with the available customisability to hit that sweet 60Hz, though it's probably easier to go for that middle ground 40Hz option that it supports so you don't have to compromise the fuck out of the settings.

17 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Like ShareDeck?

It's not the most populated site, but it exists.

These days, I just stick to 12w and adjust as necessary if the game's more/less stressful, hardware-wise.

1 hour ago, Siri said:

Like ShareDeck?

It's not the most populated site, but it exists.

These days, I just stick to 12w and adjust as necessary if the game's more/less stressful, hardware-wise.

That's perfect. 

Yakuza: LaD was making my deck get super hot (around 89-91 deg) But was able to lower the internal res, use FSR, set limiter to 30 fps* and lower the TCP to 8w and that got me to 80 deg max, whilsr retaining a solid 30fps which is all I was getting at default anyway. 

Grindstone I managed to turn down to 3w and still got 60fps :lol: 

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

The amount of effort involved in something like this would be very non-trivial.

You need to find stress points to test the settings against if you are after stable performance 99% of the time and the more configs you have to test, the more time it would take. Multiply that between the Gazillion PC games available...

What is surprising is that nobody has bothered setting up some sort of community hivemind effort, there must be enough early adopting enthusiasts with both the skillset and can be arsed attitude to put in some legwork on it.

If I owned one, I'd definitely be rolling my own custom configs on any games with the available customisability to hit that sweet 60Hz, though it's probably easier to go for that middle ground 40Hz option that it supports so you don't have to compromise the fuck out of the settings.

Certainly not trivial I agree, but as you say a community based thing could work really well like ProtonDB for example. 

On 14/06/2022 at 17:09, Strafe said:

On the subject of resident evil 3 - which runs just fine if you select a different version of Proton, I’ve read - what does this bump to minimum specs mean for the steam deck now? Will it still run?

https://www.eurogamer.net/resident-evil-2-3-and-7-minimum-requirements-raised-on-pc-following-new-patch

Just following up on this: Capcom actually did the correct thing, and kept the old version available as a separate branch (as modders were also kicking off).

https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/news/resident-evil-2-3-7-steam-upgrades-reverted/

You can just use the 'Betas' drop-down in the game's properties to go back to the old version.

In other news, Steam Summer Sale is this week. Can't see myself getting much, but it's always worth checking isthereanydeal and gg.deals if there's any historical lows across the catalogue.

If you're new, well..

Spoiler

Yer wallet's done, kiddo

Hmmmm, having my first real major annoyance today. 

I have had a few games update their verified status today (see below) yet they aren't showing on my Steam Deck in Verified yet. Never noticed that before. 

image.png.f32f26a707e940c765f00dae62aef840.png

I had to go to Teardown and start it downloading before it registered as Verified on the Deck. I hoped it would cause the others to update too, bu alas no. 

On 20/06/2022 at 10:38, Siri said:

Just following up on this: Capcom actually did the correct thing, and kept the old version available as a separate branch (as modders were also kicking off).

https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/news/resident-evil-2-3-7-steam-upgrades-reverted/

You can just use the 'Betas' drop-down in the game's properties to go back to the old version.

In other news, Steam Summer Sale is this week. Can't see myself getting much, but it's always worth checking isthereanydeal and gg.deals if there's any historical lows across the catalogue.

If you're new, well..

Reveal hidden contents

Yer wallet's done, kiddo

I managed to play through the updated version I think as I never changed it in settings. It ran mostly at 60 on high settings with some stuttering down to the 40’s in some busy shiny indoor areas. Probably the most visually impressive looking game I’ve played on the deck so far.

As a PSA to anyone ordering one who, like me, never owned a PC until they got a steam deck, I would advise cancelling your order. It’s costing me a fucking fortune as I can’t stop buying games for it!

34 minutes ago, Strafe said:

As a PSA to anyone ordering one who, like me, never owned a PC until they got a steam deck, I would advise cancelling your order. It’s costing me a fucking fortune as I can’t stop buying games for it!

And the Steam Summer Sale starts on Thursday...

42 minutes ago, Strafe said:

image.thumb.png.95f764da5579411155fb63b05da0bbc8.png

Pay 20 bucks for 20 games instead.

(In fact, that's how I got into Steam in the first place. Goddamn iD Super Pack)

47 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Well I made the economically sound decision of already having 1500+ steam games (10-12 plus years of bundles) when I ordered mine.

Funnily enough, trading cards from those same games paid for half of the steam deck!

27 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Well I made the economically sound decision of already having 1500+ steam games (10-12 plus years of bundles) when I ordered mine.

Funnily enough, trading cards from those same games paid for half of the steam deck!

I have quite a few trading cards in my inventory. Are you saying that there are people out there daft enough to pay for them? Are they some sort of NFT thing?

I’m going to Google it but I wanted to make this post just to express my incredulity at it. I think that’s a word.

7 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I have quite a few trading cards in my inventory. Are you saying that there are people out there daft enough to pay for them? Are they some sort of NFT thing?

I’m going to Google it but I wanted to make this post just to express my incredulity at it. I think that’s a word.

Yep. And you get paid in steam credit. I reckon in total I've made around £400 steam credit in steam trading cards overall?

10 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Yep. And you get paid in steam credit. I reckon in total I've made around £400 steam credit in steam trading cards overall?

Let’s say you’re having an odd day and buy a steam trading card. What can you do with it other than sell it on?

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Let’s say you’re having an odd day and buy a steam trading card. What can you do with it other than sell it on?

Make a badge to show on your Steam profile.

(I think crafting the badge can also award some cruft like emotes or something - which I've no idea where you even use on Steam).

I bulk sell mine once a week. Get between 10p - £2 

I used to have something that would 'play' your library and get the cards for you. But I can't remember what it was and if it even works anymore. 

I think I pulled about £75 the one time I did that.

Just a heads up especially for @Ryall Amazon games are DRM free so I tested with Battle Chef Brigade and Baseball Stars 2 and both worked with Proton Experimental. 

image.thumb.png.2b3975dff5c5d9351d21394957415f55.png

and with custom art

image.thumb.png.4d4adeb75f09159ab7b6e6eea256c13a.png

41 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I used to have something that would 'play' your library and get the cards for you. But I can't remember what it was and if it even works anymore. 

I think I pulled about £75 the one time I did that.

For a noted fiddler (tech wise at least) and someone struggling as much as I am financially why don’t you find out and if it’s still working do this all the time? So long as it ain’t a Crypto style drain on humanity I’d be running whatever it is on ‘Da Deck’ whenever I can, put the thing in low power mode and get on it so you can surround yourself with those fabled £75 notes man.

4 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

For a noted fiddler (tech wise at least) and someone struggling as much as I am financially why don’t you find out and if it’s still working do this all the time? So long as it ain’t a Crypto style drain on humanity I’d be running whatever it is on ‘Da Deck’ whenever I can, put the thing in low power mode and get on it so you can surround yourself with those fabled £75 notes man.

I can't remember or find out what it was. :( 

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK