Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

As far as I am aware, it should still give you the choice. Had you formateed the SD card first?

Yea, formatted it. The installer just got on with downloading the emulators, then skipped ahead with a message saying words to the effect of - now open Steam ROMS Manager so you can scan your directories and get your artwork - with the implication that those directories had already been created (which was indeed the case).

1 minute ago, Popo said:

Yea, formatted it. The installer just got on with downloading the emulators, then skipped ahead with a message saying words to the effect of - now open Steam ROMS Manager so you can scan your directories and get your artwork - with the implication that those directories had already been created (which was indeed the case).

Yeah that shouldn't happen. Try removing EmuDeck and going through again. Can you take photos of each screen before you start the process installing?

4 hours ago, bradigor said:

Hmmm, if you search their names in Gaming Mode, does it list them in the results? I had a couple of games from SRM that never went where they should do. So had to move them manually. 

"No results found"

12 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Yeah that shouldn't happen. Try removing EmuDeck and going through again. Can you take photos of each screen before you start the process installing?

Thanks for the help - I wonder if it’s because I formatted the SD card through the desktop storage management app*, rather than the system menu. It’s still not listed as available storage in Settings > Storage. 

* The Emudeck install notes specified the formatting required, so I assumed this differed from the default formatting the Deck uses and implied getting one’s hands dirty, but I’ve possibly tried to be too clever by half. 

2 minutes ago, Popo said:

Thanks for the help - I wonder if it’s because I formatted the SD card through the desktop storage management app*, rather than the system menu. It’s still not listed as available storage in Settings > Storage. 

* The Emudeck install notes specified the formatting required, so I assumed this differed from the default formatting the Deck uses and implied getting one’s hands dirty, but I’ve possibly tried to be too clever by half. 

Has to be done in game mode :) 

3 minutes ago, alex3d said:

"No results found"

How odd. If you load up emulationj station, they show in there yes? I am at a loss there. I would suggest using the EmuDeck Discord, they are really helpful in there. 

3 minutes ago, bradigor said:

How odd. If you load up emulationj station, they show in there yes? I am at a loss there. I would suggest using the EmuDeck Discord, they are really helpful in there. 

Yes, they do show up there.

Okay, thank you.

12 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Has to be done in game mode :) 

Thanks, all set up now!

It’s true what they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. :wacko:

Saturn emulation chat ahoy - happy to take this elsewhere if the majority deem it appropriate, but... this thing emulates Sega Rally like a dream!  Very impressive.

I've struggled a bit with playing games that require the 4MB RAM expansion cartridge; when launching a game (e.g. X-Men vs Street Fighter) from Game Mode, it straight up gives an 'expansion card not found' (an error message I'm extremely familiar with, as the cart slot on my Saturn was dodgy, and the cart needed re-seating about 20 times before it finally worked).

Having done a bit of research, I found out that this needs turning on in the Retroarch core options, so I launched Retroarch from the desktop and, with a bit of trial and error, figured out that this is reached through the quick menu, which can be accessed by pressing both sticks down at the same time (L3 & R3); turn it on, relaunch the game, and it works.  I also noticed that there are a number of Saturn cores loaded by default - and with the Beetle Saturn core, I found that actually this option is set to auto-detect.  Very sensible and useful!  Sure enough, launching X-Men Vs Street Fighter with this core selected gives no errors, with the 4MB cart auto-detected.

I conclude that Emudeck is auto-selecting the 'wrong' core when playing the game through Game Mode.  I'm not sure if this is configurable, but I guess I can just unload all the other cores and leave Beetle, so it'll pick the right one by default.

Athlete Kings and Die Hard Arcade (neé Dynamite Deka) don't seem to work well at all - the former doesn't launch and the latter stops playing sound once you get into the game proper.  I'll try them again through Beetle Saturn once my legal acquisition of Panzer Dragoon Saga is complete.

I think it will all be working via a singel hub soon. Lutris, Heroic, or a new player. Lutris can already get you Origin Access, so imagine they will add Game Pass support at some point too. 

I still need to try the Humble Games launcher 

I got my mail.

Tried to pay by credit card.

Nope.

Paypal. 

Nope.

Do I have to go and shove dollars straight up Gabe's ass?

EDIT: After 14 attempts I got a payment to go through with a mixture of a blood sacrifice, a credit card I'd not used since 2018 and lots of swear words. 

Not sure how dizogg's going to take this as he thinks I've been mortally wounded by not buying one in the trading folder last week. I will try to remain suitably chaste when it arrives. 

Been playing Batman Arkham Asylum today (used protontricks to get it working), and it is sublime. 

Runs at 60 easily, but knocked it down to 40 just for battery life. I really cannot feel the difference much at all. Battery life at max brightness is around 4 hours too which is phenomenal based on how it looks. 

As someone that always tinkers, I am having such a blast getting positive results in terms of battery and performance gain out of this little belter. 

So I tried removing all the Saturn cores except Beetle Saturn aaand… no games will launch at all through Game Mode. Looks like it defaults to Yabuse. Is there a way to configure the default core? 

I did manage to enable the 4MB cart option in Yabuse (though I’m not sure how, as restarting the game and/or the emulator seemed to turn it off again) but in any case the core has serious issues with a number of games; including the aforementioned Dynamite Deka, but also Marvel Super Heros vs Street Fighter.

After launching any game you can access the quick menu and change the game and core to Beetle Saturn, but clearly, if it were possible to set it as the default core, that would be miles better; otherwise you’re losing out on a lot of the benefits of Emudeck in the first place. 

It’s all rather moot, as the Deck dpad is awful for 2D fighters. :D

Maybe I’ll try and pair my 8bitdo M30, but without a stand or a dock, using a Bluetooth controller is a bit impractical. 

I’m sure Dreamcast emulation will be better suited to the Deck’s button layout. 

I hope their support is decent.

Got the email today, went straight on to confirm the purchase. It tried to use my now expired card, and in the process seems to mark the reservation as completed but the transaction failed. I subsequently tried 2 other cards, all failed. All cards are obviously fine.

Now if I click on the email link it just takes me to the generic steam deck page with no reservation.

Ive raised a support ticket hopefully they can sort or I'm gonna be mega pissed 😕

Anyone got anything positive to say about their support to try and cheer me up ?? first world problems anyway eh .....

update - every few hours it would reset me I could try again. Added a card into my account and worked fine. Safari pop ups on mac were also a problem for the transaction I think so I also switched them off.

steam deck ++

41 minutes ago, Popo said:

Maybe I’ll try and pair my 8bitdo M30, but without a stand or a dock, using a Bluetooth controller is a bit impractical. 

Simply use the stand that came with your Wii U.

4 hours ago, Popo said:

Saturn emulation chat ahoy - happy to take this elsewhere if the majority deem it appropriate, but... this thing emulates Sega Rally like a dream!  Very impressive.

Why settle for the Saturn version when there's a superior Japan-only PS2 arcade port by M2 out there.

Tomb Raider on PS1 - the dpad really is dreck. Any attempt to steer Lara slightly left or right results in all forward motion halting and left or right turning to begin.

The thing seems not to be able to accept both inputs at once. Baffling. 

27 minutes ago, Popo said:

Tomb Raider on PS1 - the dpad really is dreck. Any attempt to steer Lara slightly left or right results in all forward motion halting and left or right turning to begin.

The thing seems not to be able to accept both inputs at once. Baffling. 

Fixed this by forcing use of analogue stick on digital inputs in the Duckstation settings, by launching Duckstation from Game Mode in the Emulators category. Works much better!

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK