Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

4 minutes ago, Siri said:

As Alex said - might be a standard slot, but it still might require dismantling every single thing on the unit and voiding the warranty to access the slot.

I can do that.

Yeah trying the manual upgrade thing could prove to be a bit of a false economy.

If everything goes well then great, one discounted high capacity Deck!

If something goes wrong with the upgrade though, or even if some kind of unrelated fault develops later on, you'll be stuck without a warranty. One for the brave I think.

I’ve realised the best bit of this for me will be when multiformat games come out and I end up buying the hamstrung switch version because I want to play it in handheld even though it looks shit compared to the others.

Well, no more!

Has anyone who's reserved both this and the Switch OLED still going to get the Switch OLED? I was going to cancel my pre-order, but seeing as I won't be getting my hands on the Steam Deck until 2022, I may reconsider...

30 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Has anyone who's reserved both this and the Switch OLED still going to get the Switch OLED? I was going to cancel my pre-order, but seeing as I won't be getting my hands on the Steam Deck until 2022, I may reconsider...

I’m getting both.

2 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Most people won't and will be willing to pay more not to, addressing your original point.

Probably won’t need it to start with anyway. By the time I will it could be cheaper and the warranty void. Or the Right to Repair act will have come in.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Yep. Steamdeck is never going to have Nintendo games on it. Well, officially.

Also, I’m assuming no rumble on the steam deck either?

49 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Yep. Steamdeck is never going to have Nintendo games on it. Well, officially.

Also, I’m assuming no rumble on the steam deck either?

You’re not limited to using the Steam deck in-built controls.  Any controller will work

5 hours ago, Strafe said:

Go back to the preorder page and if you’re logged in it will say when yours is due.

Not for me weirdly. I think 2021 orders may not have one? 

IMG_20210717_151633_edit_463996138714094.thumb.jpg.48ab9a2e1e2d5abf3c140bdf585fc15e.jpg

so if I've got a Q2 '22 delivery showing when is it acceptable to start building a new pile of shame I won't play til this arrives ?

i think I should start scouring Steam sales now. 

21 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Not for me weirdly. I think 2021 orders may not have one? 

IMG_20210717_151633_edit_463996138714094.thumb.jpg.48ab9a2e1e2d5abf3c140bdf585fc15e.jpg

You need to do it on a pc and not a mobile device to see the estimate. I used Edge and

it worked. 

2 minutes ago, bignige said:

You need to do it on a pc and not a mobile device to see the estimate. I used Edge and

it worked. 

That's on a pc. Are you a 2021 or 22 order? 

6 minutes ago, bignige said:

My order went through at 18.09 and says Q1 22. 

That's why. You won't get an estimate if you're Dec 21 i think. 

My order went through at 1806 for the 256 which seems way less popular than the 512

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

so if I've got a Q2 '22 delivery showing when is it acceptable to start building a new pile of shame I won't play til this arrives ?

To be honest, you probably don't even need to do that these days - just checking out humble monthly, bundles and indiegala once in a while will amass enough games for choice paralysis before you even hit the Steam Fall/Winter sale. The Winter Sale is probably the last 'big' sale before Q2.

If this is your first rodeo when it comes to PC games though, main thing is to pick things that'll work with the compatibility layer right out of the box. Check out protondb so you know what to mess around with in advance.

EDIT: However, it's also worth noting that the Deck is being shipped with a new version of Proton and SteamOS, so anything you read about now might not be applicable in 6-9 months.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

I started mine over a decade ago.

9 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Go back to the store where you ordered. It gives you the option of cancelling and also gives you an estimate of when you’re expected to get yours. My 512gb version says q1 2022. 

Do you have to click on I would like a refund?

Just gone for the 512GB one as Digital Foundry seem to suggest its a must, come to think about it a lot games I have are around 100GB so wouldn't take too long to fill. At the very least it seems that you can cancel the order easily enough later on if its not as good as I thought. Need to start sinking more money into Steam games.

A heads up for anyone who's preordered one (or is considering one): if you don't fancy installing Windows instead of Proton, while most non-Steam storefronts will be buggered (Epic, Gamepass etc.), itch.io has confirmed that theirs will work out of the box. Obviously not all games bought on itch will offer Linux-compatible versions by default, though, so if you wanted to play any Windows-only games on Itch then you'd need some version of WINE configured as well (at which point itch will automatically make use of it when launching games). Still, good news for convenience's sake, particularly if you bought any of the massive charity bundles itch hosted in the last year!

28 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Do you have to click on I would like a refund?

It appears to only show if you your order is a Q 2022 order - anyone early enough and a date won't show underneath @Dukesy is the same I'm guessing

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

That's why. You won't get an estimate if you're Dec 21 i think. 

My order went through at 1806 for the 256 which seems way less popular than the 512

Same here, my order went through at 18:00 and I had email confirmation at 18:01.  My Reservation Expected order availability date is blank too.