Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

4 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I couldn’t see Outrun 2 on the Steam store when I checked earlier. You talking about emulation?

There's a PC version, but it's not on any store due to licensing. Easy enough to acquire, though. 

9 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

This will do really well simply by dint of selling to people like many in this thread who have wanted a PC ecosystem with a consoles simplicity. To say it's a direct competitor to the Switch is a bit daft. Nintendo don't give a fuck. They won't respond to it in any meaningful way, it won't change the plans for the Pro.

I wonder how long those people stay interested once people accept that this is still a PC at the end of the day? I'm fairly sure that the OS and frontend will be slick but its not going to be console level simplicity. 

29 minutes ago, bear said:

I wonder how long those people stay interested once people accept that this is still a PC at the end of the day? I'm fairly sure that the OS and frontend will be slick but its not going to be console level simplicity. 

I can't think of a Steam game that wasn't install and done? Have you had a different experience?

I think it’s more game settings and tweaks to make them run well that add to the “complexity” of the experience. Obviously more console games have some of that with performance and quality modes but it’s not like picking resolutions, 20 quality settings, anti-aliasing, etc. Maybe Valve will enforce some form of default for Deck settings to ensure it’s well defaulted but I doubt it.

Not familiar with SteamOS myself and assume it’s a pretty well crafted experience but if it’s anything like most PC OSes it’s fine when it works, but a bitch when things get out of whack for some reason.

(not that these things really bother me as a computer literate individual who likes to fiddle but it’s going to be tough for a more casual crowd).

The os it's running on is bound to run into compatibility issues with some games down the line, and a lot of people without experience of the breadth of graphics options could be a little overwhelmed by the tweaking required to get things running optimally. It's not a switch basically. You're gonna need to dial things back if you think it'll be plug and play.

Depends if you stick to the Valve critical path, or you decide to DIY and go unsupported. But at least you have the option to do so, unlike alternatives.

It's a fixed hardware spec so devs can tailor performance profiles for it in theory. People seem to already use presets as-is on PC.

8 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I can't think of a Steam game that wasn't install and done? Have you had a different experience?

When you run them and it asks what resolution to run them at and what level of detail. That's more complicated than consoles. And even before you get into graphics settings proper.

Most games these days are pretty good at suggesting settings. 

I genuinely can't remember the last time I pissed about with settings much as a primarily PC gamer.

Can if you want but mostly it ain't necessary. 

The consoles have similar options these days, bar the Switch.

It will be less dumb than the switch experience of click play and go but it won't be hideously complex. I gather Steam OS 3.0 when it updates will update everything else driver wise/features wise in the background and games and Nvidia Geforce already has a way of just saying "here is one click optimal settings for your specific hardware" in an ecosystem with hundreds if not thousands of different CPU/GPU/memory combinations.

The difference with the Deck in comparison to other PC hardware is that it is ONE SPECIFIC SET OF HARDWARE - so they can work on making deck profiles built for the hardware and screen resolution. The is the one huge element it shares with consoles - that is is one spec variation and that's it so having a click play and go 720p/60fps set if settings isn't a huge ordeal.

40 minutes ago, Uzi said:

The difference with the Deck in comparison to other PC hardware is that it is ONE SPECIFIC SET OF HARDWARE - so they can work on making deck profiles built for the hardware and screen resolution. The is the one huge element it shares with consoles - that is is one spec variation and that's it so having a click play and go 720p/60fps set if settings isn't a huge ordeal.

Bloody good point there.

On 18/07/2021 at 02:03, Wiper said:

A heads up for anyone who's preordered one (or is considering one): if you don't fancy installing Windows instead of Proton, while most non-Steam storefronts will be buggered (Epic, Gamepass etc.), itch.io has confirmed that theirs will work out of the box. Obviously not all games bought on itch will offer Linux-compatible versions by default, though, so if you wanted to play any Windows-only games on Itch then you'd need some version of WINE configured as well (at which point itch will automatically make use of it when launching games). Still, good news for convenience's sake, particularly if you bought any of the massive charity bundles itch hosted in the last year!

This Wiper post from a few pages back had me scratching my head. The notion of getting my brain around some of this stuff is not unappealing, but it's a level of knowledge and giving-a-fuck that's never been a part of gaming for me. PC gaming seems strangely jerry-built and cobbled together at times, like this complex arrangement of barely related parts held together with chewing gum.

In other news, here in the colonies (Aus) we are excluded from the pre-order thing, so it might be 2030 before we see one. I love handheld gaming for the family harmony aspect mentioned above, so this appeals to me.

7 hours ago, Uzi said:

It will be less dumb than the switch experience of click play and go but it won't be hideously complex. I gather Steam OS 3.0 when it updates will update everything else driver wise/features wise in the background and games and Nvidia Geforce already has a way of just saying "here is one click optimal settings for your specific hardware" in an ecosystem with hundreds if not thousands of different CPU/GPU/memory combinations.

Oh I agree it’s a single platform so simplified significantly but what power are Valve willing to use to get games to have profiles or ensure they run well. I fully expect most games to pick good settings or support it well but there are going to be those that just don’t play nice, be they new ones or some of the thousands of older titles.

I don’t really think it matters because I think this is a relatively niche enthusiasts device compare to any console. Most of those jumping in early will already be (or have been at some point) PC gamers, or at least aware of some or PC gaming a slightly rougher edges.

Separate question…

Does everything on Steam run on Steam OS these days? Do they have a compatibility layer to make everything run or will some stuff on the store just not be available/hidden?

4 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Does everything on Steam run on Steam OS these days? Do they have a compatibility layer to make everything run or will some stuff on the store just not be available/hidden?

Not everything runs currently. Titles with DRM in particular can cause issues.

Proton is their Steam OS windows compatablity thing.  They are improving it for the Deck's launch.

This site is a good view of the current state of compatablity.

https://www.protondb.com/

1 hour ago, monkeydog said:

Not everything runs currently. Titles with DRM in particular can cause issues.

Proton is their Steam OS windows compatablity thing.  They are improving it for the Deck's launch.

This site is a good view of the current state of compatablity.

https://www.protondb.com/

That is a great resource and going to be vital for anyone jumping in. Hopefully Valve will add some similar guidance on to the store pages directly, at least when accessed from the Deck.

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

That is a great resource and going to be vital for anyone jumping in. Hopefully Valve will add some similar guidance on to the store pages directly, at least when accessed from the Deck.

Their blurb is all very confident in their ability just run peoples libraries.  They'll be due for some stick if it's not progressed much from what ProtonDB shows.

11 hours ago, Uzi said:

Indeed - one specific set of software, drivers and options to boot if SteamOS sets up a mandatory update schedule for all units. It'll be a lot easier for a subsection of owners to figure out if something got fucked up during an update, similar to NVidia/AMD driver updates and the subsequent communities giving the company a kicking.

IIRC, the current situation on SteamOS/Steam is that in the settings you have an advanced option to pick which version of Proton you want, and if you want to unhide your entire collection so you can fuck around and find out yourself. Even if Valve doesn't curate their entire library themselves in SteamOS 3.0, I can see someone making a website similar to ProtonDB where you'd look up a game and it'll say Yes/No/Set Proton to this version to get a game up and running on the Deck.

I know some potential owners will be horrified at the idea of using a drop-box before pressing play on a game, but playing New Vegas and Vampire TM: Bloodlines on the bog will be worth it, IMO. Valve just needs to really push companies to make the likes of EAC/Battleye/Gameguard supported on Linux to clear up that top 10 of broken games. And, well, whatever the hell Bungie is doing that fucks up the PC version of Destiny 2 - that's just an issue with the game in general over the years.

The Steam Deck being one piece of hardware also means that the current ProtonDB results, which are for all distros of Linux as far as I can tell, can be taken with a certain pinch of salt. There are games where some people have had no luck getting to boot, and others are playing with relatively few issues.

When everyone's on the same hardware and software, those issues disappear - if the game works for Bob Steam Deck, it'll work for Carol and Dave too.

I'm positive it wont take long for just about every game's Steam forum to have a "Deck best settings" thread to help people plus I'm sure there will be a ton of videos comparing settings online.

Was going to preorder the 64gb version but watched a few vids saying do not buy it due to the slow storage. 

I'm just going to wait until its out in the wild and see people's thoughts. 

Sold my PS5 to fund one of these but I'm happy to wait. 

And in all honesty - apart from the latest and significantly demanding games - the included hardware will be fine to just pretty much fine pump out games at High Settings at native res to hit 60fps. The 720p screen essentially means games are really easy to drive in today's 1440p-4k world. 

I'm talking all PS4/Xbone gen games and before pretty much - medium-high settings will hit 60fps in 90+% of cases. You don't need to tweak anything really - just be sure to not do dumb things like setting SSAA X 4 or something. 

But to be honest - this isn't a device for someone who wants a Switch level of involvement - this is aimed to giving PC gamers a more viable way of portable gaming than laptops and all the headaches that come with that form factor and giving some people who might have been put off by the hardware cost and form factor of a PC to rejoin the fold. It's not to capture the Switch market but to create its own.

5 minutes ago, Ry said:

Was going to preorder the 64gb version but watched a few vids saying do not buy it due to the slow storage. 

I'm just going to wait until its out in the wild and see people's thoughts. 

Sold my PS5 to fund one of these but I'm happy to wait. 

I don't get this "gonna wait to preorder" mentality in general. I saw it last time with the PS5 - I preordered early for a few quid or something and ended up getting a launch day PS5 with no literally headache. No shopping around - no looking out for stock. Easy peasy. The SAME people who said "Nah gonna wait for more info before I do this very very low commitment preorder" and then they ended up scrambling around watching stock trackers and fighting bots on websites for stock. 

This is a £4 preorder - the 256/512 model are already showing as Q3 next year - the hesitation of putting down a preorder on really sought after stuff is just something odd and funny to note over the last year. The 64 is still Q1 I think so there is literally no risk (you get the £4 back in your steam wallet as a refund after 30 days if you cancel - before 30 days you get refunded to whatever you paid with) to see how reviews/hardware news might come out. Not picking on your example in particular - just brought it to mind. By the time you decide to jump on it they might be hard as fuck to get - who knows!

13 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I don't get this "gonna wait to preorder" mentality in general. I saw it last time with the PS5 - I preordered early for a few quid or something and ended up getting a launch day PS5 with no literally headache. No shopping around - no looking out for stock. Easy peasy. The SAME people who said "Nah gonna wait for more info before I do this very very low commitment preorder" and then they ended up scrambling around watching stock trackers and fighting bots on websites for stock. 

This is a £4 preorder - the 256/512 model are already showing as Q3 next year - the hesitation of putting down a preorder on really sought after stuff is just something odd and funny to note over the last year. The 64 is still Q1 I think so there is literally no risk (you get the £4 back in your steam wallet as a refund after 30 days if you cancel - before 30 days you get refunded to whatever you paid with) to see how reviews/hardware news might come out. Not picking on your example in particular - just brought it to mind. By the time you decide to jump on it they might be hard as fuck to get - who knows!

I'm waiting in case there are issues with the machine. 

Like I wish I had done with the PS5. 

1 minute ago, Ry said:

I'm waiting in case there are issues with the machine. 

Like I wish I had done with the PS5. 

IT'S £4! REFUNDABLE £4

:lol:

I agree about not waiting to preorder in this case. For all the gnashing of teeth at 6pm on Friday (or was it Thursday? I can't bloody remember), I'm just happy I can roll up, pay a nominal fee, and just let the digital queuing system do the work.

At this point, any preorder made will hear about any issues before getting the unit, in which case I'm happy to just dip and lose four quid that I would have spent on some other bullshit anyway. EDIT: And it's something that *is* refundable.

Retail is utterly fucked, to the point the whole process of ordering the Steam Deck has been the most trivial hardware purchase I've made since the pandemic. No dealing with scalpers, no panic buying because of a tweet mentioning a stock drop at x retailer, no dealing with Cloudflare DDOS, no dealing with losing my purchase at the checkout stage. I just get a call-up from Valve when they're ready to give me a unit, and I get on with my fucking life. Actual progress.