Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

25 minutes ago, Uzi said:

IT'S £4! REFUNDABLE £4

:lol:

I preordered one on that basis - it’s better to have a preorder and not want it than the opposite.

I watched the gamespot breakdown video which got me way more hyped that the IGN video of that poor guy interviewing the Vulcan, the smug one and the one who didn’t really say anything. That was pretty excruciating.

I am excited and Q1 2022 is far too Lomb to wait as it is!

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/steam-deck-everything-we-know/2300-6455835/

Bugger it, preordered the 256 version. Over a year wait will be a bugger but at least if it turns out to be shit i can cancel :)

13 hours ago, monkeydog said:

I can't think of a Steam game that wasn't install and done? Have you had a different experience?

It's not a native experience but my most recent impressions of PC gaming have came through using Geforce Now. I loaded up Saints Row IV and for whatever reason the game defaulted to low settings. It was only a small thing to go into settings and turn things up to High/Ultra (Saints Row seems like the sort of game where they might have put a funny name on their best mode, I can't remember). 

King of Fighters 12 recognized my  fightpad but instead of A showing up as A it was listed as Button 5 in the menus. 

It's all minor stuff in the grand scheme of things but PC gaming still has that little extra layer of fuckery compared to consoles. 

I might be singing a different tune entirely in six weeks when my "gaming" laptop shows up. 😀

20 minutes ago, Ry said:

Im guessing the ONLY place to buy is the steam store? They wont be in shops?

Pretty sure I haven't seen the Index Headset sold anywhere other than on Steam, and that was their most recent hardware venture.

I think Valve took a very dim view of shipping bulk orders to retail after the Controller and Link ended up in a lot of fire sales. 

10 minutes ago, bear said:

King of Fighters 12 recognized my  fightpad but instead of A showing up as A it was listed as Button 5 in the menus.

A failure to display proper controller buttons is a major bugbear of mine when it happens. The Xbox pad has been the de facto standard for Windows since the Xbox 360 era, so when I see button numbers in recent games (whether AAA or indie) instead of the Xbox labels, it's massively disappointing. Supporting other non-standard but widely used control prompts like PS or Switch is an extra layer of polish I like to see.

Again, with the Steam Deck being a standard piece of hardware - and presumably detactable by the game - it'd be nice to see control settings that recognise it automatically, and perhaps make use of the additional buttons available.

43 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

A failure to display proper controller buttons is a major bugbear of mine when it happens. The Xbox pad has been the de facto standard for Windows since the Xbox 360 era, so when I see button numbers in recent games (whether AAA or indie) instead of the Xbox labels, it's massively disappointing. Supporting other non-standard but widely used control prompts like PS or Switch is an extra layer of polish I like to see.

Press F for those of us who played through the Shenmue I & II QTEs on a Dualshock 4 with 360 button prompts.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

the IGN video of that poor guy interviewing the Vulcan, the smug one and the one who didn’t really say anything.

:lol: I found it reassuring that these were the best front of house, customer facing spokesmen valve could muster, to be honest.

It's the whole skinny chef thing.

"Ian doesn't look tooooo ill, he's been taking his vitamins!"
"Ian? Are you mad, he can't maintain eye contact for more than a second without doing that neck thing!"
"It'll be alright, he can take smug john with him, if he looks sideways at him condescendingly with a cocked eyebrow all through the interview, it'll draw peoples attention away from all the weird shit Ian's up to."

"Alright, last resort, but come on, there must be somebody in the building who looks like they've seen sunshine and another human being in the last decade"

18 hours ago, Uzi said:

It will be less dumb than the switch experience of click play and go but it won't be hideously complex. I gather Steam OS 3.0 when it updates will update everything else driver wise/features wise in the background and games and Nvidia Geforce already has a way of just saying "here is one click optimal settings for your specific hardware" in an ecosystem with hundreds if not thousands of different CPU/GPU/memory combinations.

The difference with the Deck in comparison to other PC hardware is that it is ONE SPECIFIC SET OF HARDWARE - so they can work on making deck profiles built for the hardware and screen resolution. The is the one huge element it shares with consoles - that is is one spec variation and that's it so having a click play and go 720p/60fps set if settings isn't a huge ordeal.

6 hours ago, Mallet said:

I'm positive it wont take long for just about every game's Steam forum to have a "Deck best settings" thread to help people plus I'm sure there will be a ton of videos comparing settings online.

Mind blown.  Didn't think of that but this is a huge point in terms of consolelifying the PC experience.  Either specific deck profiles by the developers or setup Steam to recommend settings if it detects you are using a deck.  As well has official developer graphic settings there can be community settings which get upvotes for how popular they are like they have for the Steam controller configurator.

6 hours ago, Ry said:

Im guessing the ONLY place to buy is the steam store? They wont be in shops?

Yes

Another interesting piece of information.

Lawrence Yang answered a tweet concerning playing games from SD and he stated that all the games IGN played during their visit were loading from an SD card.

Valve have to be losing money on at least the base model don't they? I mean 16gb of DDR5 has to eat up a fair chunk of that $399 all on it's own.

1 hour ago, Mallet said:

Another interesting piece of information.

Lawrence Yang answered a tweet concerning playing games from SD and he stated that all the games IGN played during their visit were loading from an SD card.

Valve have to be losing money on at least the base model don't they? I mean 16gb of DDR5 has to eat up a fair chunk of that $399 all on it's own.

I'll be interesting to see how many 64gb models they end up selling when the thing is about to be shipped. I suspect that their constant software sales will absorb any losses pretty easily (and I absolutely agree with you that they'll be losing money on it). I think it's canny move indeed.

I've bunged an order through, I thought I'd be able to order two and decide which spec I wanted to hang onto later. 

But I just found out you can order but one machine so I'm stuck with the 64GB machine. 

I think that might be the best choice for me, tbh. The middle one doesn't have all the bells and whistles and I'm not sure how much I'd use it anyway, I reckon I'd end up with games on an SD card no matter what storage I went for.

...Should I cancel my order and switch to a 256 machine?

4 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I've bunged an order through, I thought I'd be able to order two and decide which spec I wanted to hang onto later. 

But I just found out you can order but one machine so I'm stuck with the 64GB machine. 

I think that might be the best choice for me, tbh. The middle one doesn't have all the bells and whistles and I'm not sure how much I'd use it anyway, I reckon I'd end up with games on an SD card no matter what storage I went for.

If you have to think about it you don't want it that much.

11 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

If you have to think about it you don't want it that much.

If I have to think about which storage option I want, I want neither? 

I just don't really know that much about it right now, that's why I was going to order 2, so I could find out later on. I figured people here would know how significant the storage speed difference would be.

11 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

It will stick you to the back of the queue so will just end up waiting ages and with there being no sign of the chip shortage sorting itself anytime soon you could be looking at 2023. If you are happy to wait then go for it.

11 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Put my deposit down. Q2 2022 is no good to me. I need to spend money on stuff this tax year!

Invest in a podcast ;)

18 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

It will stick you to the back of the queue so will just end up waiting ages and with there being no sign of the chip shortage sorting itself anytime soon you could be looking at 2023. If you are happy to wait then go for it.

Cheers,I changed the order over last night, and managed to get the same shipping estimate, q2 2022. 

That's OK with me, tbh. I expect by then that everyone will have done the experiments with other os' and performance will have been extensively reported on and I can make a more informed decision. 

Looks good though! 

4 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Cheers,I changed the order over last night, and managed to get the same shipping estimate, q2 2022. 

That's OK with me, tbh. I expect by then that everyone will have done the experiments with other os' and performance will have been extensively reported on and I can make a more informed decision. 

Looks good though! 

I went for the 512gb model but its so expensive I keep changing my mind :lol: Def going all in though! I need a Steam sale to supply a big pile of games to play and I'll get that PC gaming excitement back for sure.

11 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

If I have to think about which storage option I want, I want neither? 

I just don't really know that much about it right now, that's why I was going to order 2, so I could find out later on. I figured people here would know how significant the storage speed difference would be.

After getting a PS5 I'm struggling with the speed the Switch loads games at. And they're *Switch* games, which don't tend to have long loading times. PC games will be a nightmare on an SD card.

I was initially un-hyped over this because it's Valve. I expect their console experience to be super janky. Let's be honest, everything Valve touch eventually 'works' but there's always some weird shit that goes along with it. The more videos I watch though, the more I'm warming to the Steam Deck.

I'm not one for pre-ordering the first run of anything by Valve but I'm interested to see it in action and look forward to peoples posts on the forum. I'm especially curious about performance and input latency of the Proton layer on a low power AMD APU. Historically, and from personal experience, AMD GPU's on Linux have been pretty bad.

As for the SD card thing: you'll probably be able to move games between storage devices. You wont have to stream problematic games from the SDcard.

Given the nature of Steam's DB and filters, it should be possible for users to flag games that are problematic via SD, and label them as such. The OS could then tap into these recommendations and ask you if you want to copy it to internal storage before you play it. At least it's something I'd consider if I was working on it.

I thought the 64gb would be fine for me but hearing horror stories on how the speed will be heavily compromised made me get the 256 version. 

I only play a handful of games at a time so if I can 4 or 5 big titles on the internal and store the indie stuff on an SD card then I'm happy. 

15 hours ago, Myshkin said:

https://www.amazon.com/2230-NVMe-Compatible-Microsoft-Surface/dp/B093GG6X3S/

1TB 2230 nvme for $220 plus shipping. 

I know they said it’s not meant to be changed, but if it can be without too much hassle - then the 64GB is looking like a winner for me. 

A random Chinese firm who is ripping Toshiba SSDs out of old laptops might not have enough stock to keep up with demand for this thing.

Edit - Although its a random Chinese seller, it looks like this is an enterprise product made by Kioxia, so it's probably available somewhere at volume.

Apparently they are retiring the current big-screen Steam interface in favour if the Steam Deck UI on all platforms, so the interface at least is here to stay.

Another Edit - Not to do the work for everyone, but if you google the part number on that SSD you can find European stockists very easily, some of which have them ready to ship.