Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

The controls are the one thing I am not worried about.

IGN said it was comfortable, there is a guy on YouTube who 3d printed a mock up using the specs and said it's very comfortable. There is also a drawing I saw which shows how the dpad, stick and pad line up with the natural path of you thumb. 

Plus it reminds me if the wiiu game pad which I love. 

10 hours ago, Mallet said:

The controls are the one thing I am not worried about.

IGN said it was comfortable, there is a guy on YouTube who 3d printed a mock up using the specs and said it's very comfortable. There is also a drawing I saw which shows how the dpad, stick and pad line up with the natural path of you thumb. 

Plus it reminds me if the wiiu game pad which I love. 

Did he 3D print it out of cement? ;)

29 minutes ago, Mallet said:

Almost 30 minute interview with Gabe, I  haven't watched it yet so I have no idea what is said

Half Life 3 is a launch title.

I haven't played Alyx, no VR, but it does seem that they have more Half Life in mind

'[The ending of Alyx] feels like the right progression to where we're going... with Half Life.'

On 26/07/2021 at 19:44, Mallet said:

Short video with not a lot in it tbh but the way you can use the capacitive touch joysticks in combo with gyro seems neat.

I'm a massive fan of gyro aiming along with using the track pad on my Steam controller. Nintendo gets it with their Splatoon series.  I love that they a championing gyro aiming 

I started looking into Linux compatibility for emulators / storefronts to see how practical SteamOS is for me - it seems much more plausible than I expected. 

There’s an unofficial version of the Epic Games Store which looks really promising - https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/18336. I have a large library of ‘Free’ games that would be ideal for this platform.

Most emulators I’m interested in have a native Linux version (ReDream, Dolphin, PPSSPP, RPCS3, Beetle PSX, PCSX2).

CEMU doesn’t have a native Linux version but appears to run with WINE. 

There doesn’t appear to be a Linux solution for GOG Galaxy, I only have a couple of games on that store so not really an issue. 

Game Pass is obviously a complete no, I don’t see the community finding a way to make that happen on Linux (perhaps the EA launcher part though?).

PS4/PS5 remote play is possible with Chiaki  https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2020/12/chiaki-a-free-and-open-source-playstation-remote-play-client-adds-playstation-5-support

There’s a project looking at Xbox / xCloud streaming http://openxbox.org

Moonlight / Steam streaming are native for those with gaming PCs. 

I’m excited to try this out now, it looks like I can do 90% of what I want to on Linux, one way or another, and if I really want the other 10% I could go to Windows (mainly for Game Pass). 

On 28/07/2021 at 19:21, Mallet said:

Almost 30 minute interview with Gabe, I  haven't watched it yet so I have no idea what is said

He explains the rationale for the device, which is what was previously stated. To extend the PC gaming ecosystem and it being open was a given, it's in Valve's DNA. GabeN seems like he might go off and do a Miyamoto at some point and spend his time and energy working on non-gaming related projects in the future (BCIs)

Though the interviewer (Ryan McCaffrey) seemed more interested in phishing for information about unrelated projects for portions of the interview.

54 minutes ago, AlexM said:

There doesn’t appear to be a Linux solution for GOG Galaxy, I only have a couple of games on that store so not really an issue. 

https://github.com/sharkwouter/minigalaxy

57 minutes ago, AlexM said:

Game Pass is obviously a complete no, I don’t see the community finding a way to make that happen on Linux (perhaps the EA launcher part though?).

That would in part be by design I would think, XGP is a Microsoft exclusive service relying on software technologies deeply integrated into the latest version of their OS, allowing easy support for competing and older Microsoft OSes would seem counterproductive. The only reason Valve can even hope to attempt their 2nd try at a Steam Machine is because of the years of work done since 2013 to get around the OS lock-in of DirectX being Microsoft Windows only.

SteamOS will probably be preferable for the Deck, if only because it was purpose built for mobile use, like the ability of suspending games.

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

Though the interviewer (Ryan McCaffrey) seemed more interested in phishing for information about unrelated projects for portions of the interview

Disappointed now that it wasn't just him asking about Gabe's first pet and mother's maiden name.

13 hours ago, AlexM said:

I started looking into Linux compatibility for emulators / storefronts to see how practical SteamOS is for me - it seems much more plausible than I expected. 

It's going to be the same handheld platform for everyone and loads of people will be keen to get some sort of Linux setup running for it. Won't be long before the community come up with something. The smaller editions are out later this year so if you go for the bigger ones, due next then there's a very good chance the solution you want will be up and running.

How will it work when you want to run some non steam Linux program anyway? Do you just use the browser, go to a website, download a file and install it? Or does SteamOS require something else? 

It running Steam OS is a big no for me.   Got too many games that have no linux equivalent.   I'm happy accepting graphical compromises  but not having to check which games in my library will work and what won't.  That Proton compatibility layer needs to be seriously ramped up for me to jump in.

3 hours ago, rafaqat said:

It running Steam OS is a big no for me.   Got too many games that have no linux equivalent.   I'm happy accepting graphical compromises  but not having to check which games in my library will work and what won't.  That Proton compatibility layer needs to be seriously ramped up for me to jump in.

Or you could install Windows on it.

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Or you could install Windows on it.

wouldn't that lose all the suspend functionality mentioned above?  I suppose there's enough touch pad stuff to simulate the mouse and you could have an onscreen keyboard to log into windows.  

Those of us who’ve lovingly looked through these 24 pages have the sense that the hardware will work as intended on Win simply because Valve will release all necessary drivers simply because they want to. 

6 hours ago, rafaqat said:

According to protondb, only about 30 of the 464 recognised games in my account are below "Gold" ("runs perfectly with minor tweaks"), and of those most are "awaiting further reports". Only five are "borked".

And this is months before Steam release it and have time to improve proton.

20 minutes ago, deKay said:

According to protondb, only about 30 of the 464 recognised games in my account are below "Gold" ("runs perfectly with minor tweaks"), and of those most are "awaiting further reports". Only five are "borked".

And this is months before Steam release it and have time to improve proton.

Having a look at my library I don't have many that are borked which looks like good news, but then you see what gold means.  "Runs with tweaks"  So I clicked on Assassins Creed Black Flag and this is one of the experiences and tweaks mentioned.

DXSETUP during initial installation seemed to hang. Game installed, but Ubisoft launcher reported "A ubisoft service is currently unavailable."

This was solved by installing lib32-gnutls followed by pasting two commands into terminal as outlined here https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/1757#issuecomment-431571624

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.30.14.11 ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/pinned_libs_64/libgnutls.so.26

and

sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/libgnutls.so.30.14.11 ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/pinned_libs_32/libgnutls.so.26

After logging into uPlay and redeeming my key, the game launched, sound was working but screen stayed black. Tried multiple Proton versions including 6.1-GE2, 6.10-GE1 and 6.12-GE1 to no avail.

Ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the game with 6.12-GE since the release notes seemed to address a related issue: "-fixed issue where directx and/or other prefix preinstall steps would hang/fail"

After the reinstall the game is working correctly. Not much playtime yet but so far no issues.

Just Cause 3 also a Gold

Runs extremely bad

6 days ago

Audio:Missing

Input:Lag

Performance:Significant Performance Problems

Performance was.. Not amazing compared to Windows

The performance was all over the place, the audio sometimes worked, and sometimes straight up was missing.

Metal Gear Solid V (Gold compatibility)

Graphics:Other

Models looked more blocky in some cases, especially hair meshes. There were no graphical errors but the model quality was lower than in Windows.

Input:Inaccuracy

Mouse input was extremely sensitive in first person, despite performing well in third person. Even with the sensitivity turned all the way down, first person aiming was wildly sensitive, and I did not find this issue in the Windows version. The scroll wheel input doesn't seem to work properly when selecting weapons, I had to scroll up or down several times to make it read the input.

Significant Bugs:

A certain video fails to play at the end of the main mission, causing the game to crash.

Hopefully with the Steam Deck being fixed hardware spec stuff works better but the above just doesn't look great.

10 minutes ago, deKay said:

No reason why the installer can’t have these steps added though.

For every game that's at Gold status?  Valve will NOT do the work and neither will the games companies that have had dev teams move on long ago.

Anyhoo. Hopefully it'll work out. I'm sure Valve have a plan and games going forward will work well on it.   I'll probably be fiending after one once people on here report in on how much fun it is.

10 hours ago, Sane said:

How will it work when you want to run some non steam Linux program anyway? Do you just use the browser, go to a website, download a file and install it? Or does SteamOS require something else? 

SteamOS runs ontop of a customised variant of Arch Linux, you can switch to a bog standard Linux desktop if you want to do normal PC things. This was shown in their promo material:

fYqdn3E.jpg

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Those of us who’ve lovingly looked through these 24 pages have the sense that the hardware will work as intended on Win simply because Valve will release all necessary drivers simply because they want to. 

None-SteamOS support for the bespoke hardware elements of the Deck is going to be interesting. Valve will support the OS they provide with it, but you'd imagine anything off-piste is firmly in DIY/reliant on charity territory. Anybody wanting the most console-like experience will probably be best off sticking with SteamOS.

25 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

For every game that's at Gold status?  Valve will NOT do the work and neither will the games companies that have had dev teams move on long ago.

Anyhoo. Hopefully it'll work out. I'm sure Valve have a plan and games going forward will work well on it.   I'll probably be fiending after one once people on here report in on how much fun it is.

Valve have said they want to make every game work with it.

Also for the reports of games not working you posted, there are plenty where it did work.

EDIT: and some of what you posted were from older versions of proton. And the version on the Steam Deck is newer than even the newest available.

5 minutes ago, deKay said:

Also, even if only 10% of games work, that’s still 5000 times more games than any other console platform…

True. And a shit load cheaper to buy

10 hours ago, deKay said:

EDIT: and some of what you posted were from older versions of proton. And the version on the Steam Deck is newer than even the newest available

And it's Valve's own version of Proton isn't it? Made for Steam Deck for maximum compatibility

16 hours ago, rafaqat said:

wouldn't that lose all the suspend functionality mentioned above?  I suppose there's enough touch pad stuff to simulate the mouse and you could have an onscreen keyboard to log into windows.  

No reason it should lose that but I've not really looked into it because the biggest problem with this device entirely personally to me is the 2 kind of games I use a PC for are probably the only two this is bad at :D