Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

1 minute ago, Johnson Geoffrey Johnson said:

They keep coming out with these big ol' Switch ripoffs when all I want is an updated Xperia Play.

image.thumb.png.19405c1cf0db69745da0ca63bdd33d9f.png

I miss mine terribly.

290121-10150346481056642-1632563820-o.jp

13 minutes ago, Sane said:

I don't understand why? They literally say it's just a pc and you can do whatever you want with it. 

Difference between it being a pc and running windows for gaming.

If I was still travelling for work a lot I'd be all over this.

The idea of having my entire Steam library on business trips and flights plus emulation would be incredible.

I was looking at getting a "gaming" laptop recently.  Something to go alongside the PC I already have, something to play MMOs on with the missus, but also be able to take on holiday as a media player for nights in.

This is BEYOND perfect for my needs, and a good grand cheaper as well. I'm so in for day one!

I’ve been planning even at this early stage to play Dragon Quest 11 over Christmas and new year when I go visit my folks, and have been torn over getting the shinier PS4/5 version over the portable but compromised Switch version. This mad Steam deck is going to give me the best of both worlds.

As an aside, can anyone tell me if it’s possible to play the same FFXIV character and account between a PlayStation and via Steam? I need this information to utterly ruin my life.

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

Why wouldn’t you just buy a compact PC in that case?

Because whenever I've virtually put together a compact PC that comes anywhere near the specs of my desktop, it ends up costing as much as a desktop that would be twice as good.

I logged in, set the reminders but not of the reservation buttons are lit.

Is it because you can't reserve it yet or that it isn't available for reservation in the UK yet?

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

Nintendo didn't start those rumours though.

Well yes, it‘s not Nintendo’s fault, the gaming community built a massive ironic whoopsie around them when they turned their backs for five minutes.

Sorry, just read the FAQ.

Am I right in saying that reservations open tomorrow where you pay a small deposit. Then when the reservation can be fulfilled (In December) you will be invited to purchase it.

Is that correct?

3 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

I logged in, set the reminders but not of the reservation buttons are lit.

Is it because you can't reserve it yet or that it isn't available for reservation in the UK yet?

Can't reserve until 6pm tomorrow UK time.  

Reservations will open Friday July 16th, 10am PDT

4 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

This thing looks immense. The hardware is particularly impressive given the size. It's like 17 switches taped together or something.

But can it run Crysis? 😉

4 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Sorry, just read the FAQ.

Am I right in saying that reservations open tomorrow where you pay a small deposit. Then when the reservation can be fulfilled (In December) you will be invited to purchase it.

Is that correct?

Yep!

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

I’ve been planning even at this early stage to play Dragon Quest 11 over Christmas and new year when I go visit my folks, and have been torn over getting the shinier PS4/5 version over the portable but compromised Switch version. This mad Steam deck is going to give me the best of both worlds.

As an aside, can anyone tell me if it’s possible to play the same FFXIV character and account between a PlayStation and via Steam? I need this information to utterly ruin my life.

Pretty sure it's all oje account aye and you've just given me that same idea. I never even played mmo before ff14.

2 hours ago, AlexM said:

Don't get too excited about that.

https://github.com/kozec/proton-compatibility-list/blob/master/compatibility-list.md#

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a great handheld gaming device to play all of my PC games, but this doesn't look to be it (without far more tinkering than I'd be prepared to do).

Seeing the posts above about playing Game Pass games, Epic Store, etc., don't expect that to work out of the box, that's all.

There’s a new IGN 31 questions about it and they say (Valve) you can pretty much run anything you can on a PC. 
They also said you can log into your MS and / or Epic store. 

Three things.

1) So Valve and the PC master race, release a switch that goes up to 600 quid, and is “only” 720p, to do that it’s massive, and will have a battery of a game gear. Whilst  people were expecting a 4K switch. 
2) this ticks all the boxes that geeks want, and I think that’s exactly why it’ll massively (& unfairly) fail. 

3) I’ve a oled switch pro preordered (recklessly). This is afar more interesting preposition. I’ll be getting one instead. 

I only use steam on my Mac, this might open a few more doors. Especially for indies. It’s weird. I wanna give it a try. 

I don't think I'm going to be able to resist the 512gb with anti glare screen.

Good news is I will hopefully have time to save up but this has the potential to be an absolute dream machine (especially when the dock is available)