Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

I don't disagree with any of that, and use the Pro controller 90% of the time as well. I just don't think you can entirely discount the ergonomic's of the Switch when it has to target a much wider demographic (compared to the narrow demographic on here, and what I expect is going to be a narrow demographic of Deck users.).

On 16/08/2021 at 19:34, Mallet said:

What do you make of Phil Spencer being given a Deck and then tweeting about how he likes it, do you think Valve is trying to get game pass on it?

He speaks with GabeN on a fairly regular basis. It's on the same level as the Nintendo Switch Phil Spencer has on his shelf, a simple gift from another company operating in the same industry.

XGP for PC is tied to DirectX and the Microsoft Store so unless Microsoft are planning to do a major policy change and support a rival OS natively (odds on that seem about the same as they've always been), anybody wanting XGP on the Deck are going to have to stop calling up Valve support and go it alone, or put up with the joys of Cloud gaming via a webbrowser.

It's the same as the dream of XGP coming to STEAM on Microsoft Windows. That would require Microsoft to jettison the way they do XGP and start using the bog standard ancient but widely used Win32, instead of the clusterfuck solution they tried to enforce upon developers when they came up with the idea years ago. That would have the benefit of making devs lives easier, not having to support another defacto platform within a platform.

But from a business POV, why would they? when the entire point of a subscription service is to get people to come to you in perpetuity and not pay a middle man 30% to attract those people if you can help it. Unless people want to pay $10 a month separately to only access Xbox Game Studios PC content? Like EA did when they did a deal with Valve to bring their subscription service over, which seems more like a paid trial to tempt people to switch over to the way better Origin version for the same price.

44 minutes ago, mushashi said:

XGP for PC is tied to DirectX and the Microsoft Store so unless Microsoft are planning to do a major policy change and support a rival OS natively (odds on that seem about the same as they've always been), anybody wanting XGP on the Deck are going to have to stop calling up Valve support and go it alone, or put up with the joys of Cloud gaming via a webbrowser.

It's the same as the dream of XGP coming to STEAM on Microsoft Windows. That would require Microsoft to jettison the way they do XGP and start using the bog standard ancient but widely used Win32, instead of the clusterfuck solution they tried to enforce upon developers when they came up with the idea years ago. That would have the benefit of making devs lives easier, not having to support another defacto platform within a platform.

I think GP games can now be Win32 (think they added that capability in May 2019 from reading). But they're still stuck in a weird world where they're not installed the same way.

Not 100% sure though.

Not that I think XGP is coming to Steam or SteamOS. No reason to.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Question: does the Steam Deck have a lan in da front or is it wireless only?

The deck only has one usb c port.  You could use a usb to ethernet adapter or hub and it'll work. It's just Linux after all.

2 hours ago, mushashi said:

He speaks with GabeN on a fairly regular basis. It's on the same level as the Nintendo Switch Phil Spencer has on his shelf, a simple gift from another company operating in the same industry.

But from a business POV, why would they? when the entire point of a subscription service is to get people to come to you in perpetuity and not pay a middle man 30% to attract those people if you can help it. Unless people want to pay $10 a month separately to only access Xbox Game Studios PC content? Like EA did when they did a deal with Valve to bring their subscription service over, which seems more like a paid trial to tempt people to switch over to the way better Origin version for the same price.

I think your info is a bit out of date regarding Win32 XGP releases, as @thesnwmn says. Even if it weren't though, just about every XGP game also get's a Win32 Steam release these days, including Xbox Game Studios releases: https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/XboxGameStudios

I still don't think it's likely, but I don't think it's completely outside the realms of possibility these days. I also don't think it's much of a big deal for me personally though. I'd still play most PC games on my desktop with a big screen, and I'd obviously pick the XGP version in that case without a good reason not to. I'd definitely buy more games on Steam rather than play the XGP version if it suited the Deck better though.

2 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I can see me using mine strictly for Gamecube emulation. It may as well be only built for ‘Cube and Linux.

It will be interesting to see how it'll go when a Johnny Cassual discovers the Steam Deck, and finds that unlike Nintendo devices there are no carts to be had and that he needs to become a Bobby Digital.

10 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Unless they use Steam they're not going to find out about it. It's not like they can walk into Game and buy one, so if they're on Steam to buy one they're already digital.

I'm not so sure. I wonder whether it stands a chance among a wider audience or that the Deck will bomb atomically.

That's another thing. All the Decks come with a case saving you a few quid.

I still struggle to believe how good the value is with this, especially in the current technology climate. I keep thinking there has to be a huge down side coming but I can't see what it would be. 

9 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Personally I can't wait to get mine and get a PS3 emulator on there for some Daytona 500.

I wonder how it will handle PS3 emulation. I'm tempted to wait for the launch and check after the smoke is clear

Ps3 is very cpu intensive I think, the Deck might struggle there. Even Switch emulation from what I have seen requires 6 cores 12 threads for 60 fps. 

Everything up to the PS2 will run brilliantly.