Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

5 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Three things.

1) So Valve and the PC master race, release a switch that goes up to 600 quid, and is “only” 720p, to do that it’s massive, and will have a battery of a game gear. Whilst  people were expecting a 4K switch. 
2) this ticks all the boxes that geeks want, and I think that’s exactly why it’ll massively (& unfairly) fail. 

3) I’ve a oled switch pro preordered (recklessly). This is afar more interesting preposition. I’ll be getting one instead. 

I only use steam on my Mac, this might open a few more doors. Especially for indies. It’s weird. I wanna give it a try. 

The next switch would do 4k when docked. This while docked would also do the same because it's just a PC and flexible in it's output resolution. In theory the original switch could have outputted in 4k as the Nvidia shield does that with the same chip.

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah, because that became a consideration when things are made for the Switch :seanr:

They’re so confident that games will be properly optimised that they pushed the d-pad and buttons off the side to make room for two mouse touchpads, have some faith.

2 minutes ago, yakumo said:

What kind of games can it play though?. I be interested to know if it can run stuff like Dead by Daylight for example, or are we talking more "indie" games?.

I think they told IGN you can run Portal 2 at 720p for as much as 3 hours, and longer if you limit it to 30 FPS. So the sky’s the limit.

2 hours ago, Siri said:

If it's anywhere near the Aya Neo, absolutely:

Note the Aya Neo is 6c6t @ 4Ghz, so compared to this the Steam Deck (4c8t @ 3.5) will probably struggle a little with Switch and PS3 emulation. Although you can argue that Switch and PS3 emulation is simply nowhere mature enough yet - Yuzu just recently had a private test update that ups frame rate up to a third.

It'll smash PS2/Saturn/Wii U, though. And with Saturn emulation, you get the bonus of imagining you're holding a brand new Sega Nomad:
image.png.e9eb9da53e4c3029aead4727e9e175bc.png
And this time, the handles are equally shaped!

The problem with these devices from China is the warranty, when things go wrong they're a pain in the ass to get sorted. GPD the biggest name who produced these sort of devices from experience have been a nightmare to deal with. With at least Valve I know there be some degree of customer service.

For £350, the Deck is a very interesting proposition. I'm already thinking how much easier it would be to get through my pile of shame if I could play my Steam library on a handheld.

12 minutes ago, revlob said:

For £350, the Deck is a very interesting proposition. I'm already thinking how much easier it would be to get through my pile of shame if I could play my Steam library on a handheld.

Tell that to yourself after the next steam sale.

l£350 is a killer price. This is afterall a proper PC, you could install Windows on it connect it up to a keyboard and mouse and do your work on it. Or you could  install something like batocera on a sd card and you'd have thousands of games available on the move. 

I am actually gonna drop dollars on the 512 for this I reckon. Heard it can run Jedi Fallen Order at High, and even if that’s 30 FPS, on a small screen the lower frame rate is not a problem. Super impressive!

The basic concept is something I really like — a portable, dockable games PC, lovely — and the price is surprisingly good [albeit for the version with slow eMMC storage]. But that form-factor, christ.

The Switch is too big and heavy for sustained handheld use, offset by the ability to plonk it down and disconnect its controllers as long as you've a stable surface to put it on. This is even bigger, more than 50% heavier (it's even heavier than the cumbersome Nvidia Shield Portable!), and its controls are non-detachable; the only way I could see it being comfortable as a portable machine would be to carry around a separate controller for it at all times. Also, like the Switch OLED, expanding the screen to 7 inches when it's only a smidge above 720p feels like it won't look all that great.

It's a big no from me, at least until they release a Steamdeck Lite or whatever, with smaller screen a less heft.

32 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Trying very hard to remind myself of how Valve have historically treated hardware.

With that said, I'm sorely, sorely tempted to preorder.

*Ahem*

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

Why are valve so keen to get into the hardware side of things? Don't they also tend to do a Google, given that steam link, the controller and the steam boxes all died a death? 

I don't think they have a great track record, really.

Anyway, looking at the tech and although I know it'll be custom hardware, the GPU is 8 RDNA 2 CUs an 1.6Tflops - that doesn't sound like much but I guess for just above 720p it'll be good?

I'm very tempted by the 512GB version. Handheld PC games in the garden. :D

I'm going to have to think about how much use I'd actually get out of this though. I have a Razer Kishi, which is obviously a much cheaper proposition and works well with the Steam Link app, and to be honest is probably good enough for use around the house when I'm not sat in front of the big screen. Five months to decide I guess.

34 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

So come on everyone. Which storage option?

512GB. It's a PC. Plenty of things to use it for.

Although I would probably offload all the pre PS3 emulation games onto the SD card, let that fast NVMe handle all the modern games.

6 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

I am actually gonna drop dollars on the 512 for this I reckon. Heard it can run Jedi Fallen Order at High, and even if that’s 30 FPS, on a small screen the lower frame rate is not a problem. Super impressive!

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. 

Looking at the specs it seems like it a touch less than half as powerful as an Xbox Series S, how does the Series S optimised version of Fallen Order run compared to the PC version?

Just now, bear said:

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. 

Looking at the specs it seems like it a touch less than half as powerful as an Xbox Series S, how does the Series S optimised version of Fallen Order run compared to the PC version?

With the resolution dip and probably half FPS I can see this thing running well. Not sure if you have seen the Aya NEO and stuff, but this thing is more powerful by some margin and that thing is already pretty impressive (even at twice the price I was tempted, glad I didn’t pull the trigger!)

This looks brilliant!  I've got over 700 games in my Steam library, another 200 or so in my Epic Games Library, loads in Origin and GoG Galaxy - plus I could load up GamePass and have access to hundreds more.

The library for this thing is instantly MASSIVE.

I'm very very tempted!

40 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I think they told IGN you can run Portal 2 at 720p for as much as 3 hours, and longer if you limit it to 30 FPS. So the sky’s the limit.

This sounds rubbish though. A ten year old, not particularly demanding game, at 720p, for 3 hours?! Is this meant to be in any way impressive?

If anything I hope this gives Nintendo some competition again so that they start upping their hardware specs.

60fps needs to become an industry standard.