IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

I play my Switch using the Hori split pad thing, which probably makes it close to the Steam Deck in size. The Deck is still clearly a bit of a beast though.

My Steam Deck savings pot hit its target today, so I'm all set for mine now. After Q2. :(

The Steam deck is about the width as a Switch with Hori grips as Mogster noted. It's roughly the same weight as a Switch with a satisfye pro grip attached. All in it's equivalent in size and weight to what I consider a playable Switch to be, I find it impossible to play a default Switch for more than 10 minutes before my hands start cramping.

I was very happy when I first saw the Steam Deck and saw that someone had finally taken ergonomics into consideration when designing a hand held gaming device.

I'm starting to waver a bit as well to be honest. What Valve are offering still seems good for the price but I'm not sure if something like the Ayn Odin or similar would serve my needs better. I know that I'd be giving up the ability to play my Steam library natively but I'm not sure how much of that I'd be doing anyway. The Steamdeck will be able to run some version of Cyberpunk natively but will it really matter if the battery life isn't up to much in that scenario? 

This might also just be me attempting to justify buying an Odin now. 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Someone in a Discord shared this, from Twitter of some guy who's comparing it size-wise to other systems.

20220204_130103.thumb.jpg.12607d38bd217e80d6cd820ebbd4fbc4.jpg

Its quite a beast,  for those that have brought, where do you think you will be using this?  Around the house/on the loo etc or when you are out and about, on the train etc?

It looks quite big to just throw in a bag and use out and about. If you are home, why would you not play on a full size PC  (which will likely have its own monitor as opposed to a console which is likely to be hooked up the family TV that may be in use for other reasons)?

Buying it for home when I CBA to sit at my desk and wanna play in bed or in living room. Maybe also for international travel rather than day to day.

Speed and ease is the main thing. I'm discouraged from playing quick indie games on my pc as it's more designed as a heavy serious gaming set up rather than quick pick up and play for 20 mins.

1 minute ago, tobert said:

It looks quite big to just throw in a bag and use out and about. If you are home, why would you not play on a full size PC  (which will likely have its own monitor as opposed to a console which is likely to be hooked up the family TV that may be in use for other reasons)?

I use my Switch a fair bit either in bed or on in the lounge, as well as on the TV, and I see myself using this in the same way. There are some games I'd want for the Switch rather than the PC purely for portability, but this way I can get better (and often cheaper) versions of those games and still enjoy the portability of the Steam Deck. Obviously there are also PC only games that would still suit portable play too.

Eg dangonronpa or however it's spelled. Enjoy playing it but feels dumb doing it on a 55 inch oled with a pad and big headphones etc. (Was made for vita originally so makes sense)

Would be perfect on the deck.

2 hours ago, Qazimod said:

There's a whole tweet thread that begins with the above.

Damn though, even though I've seen people playing it, that really does bring home just how big it is!

50 minutes ago, Festoon said:

I want a Switch that'll break my wrists.

That's a standard switch that does that. Needed to buy hori grips so it didn't feel like training my hands to get arthritis

This looks like it'll be as comfy to hold as the wii u pad which is the most comfy obviously 

I'm glad this thing looks quite chunky. I found the Wii U gamepad very comfortable but the switch with original joycons extremely uncomfortable to use for more than a few minutes. Vita was pretty unpleasant for anything that used the analogue sticks and shoulder buttons too. 

For me the appeal of this device is mainly just the convenience of being able to play at home without isolating myself in a separate room for hours etc. Maybe occasionally bring it somewhere, but I can safely say I wouldn't be carrying it around in my pocket like a DS to play my steam library on the go regardless of size.

Will definitely order one if if they ever open pre-orders here ;)

10 hours ago, Festoon said:

I want a Switch that'll break my wrists.

Everyone who's tried have said that the Deck is remarkably comfortable and ergonomical, way more so than the Switch. Which isn't ergonomical *at all* it's just a slab. As wonderful as it is, Nintendo put no thought whatsoever into ergonomics. There's nothing  on the back or the sides that conforms to human hands.

I've got a preorder in for the 512GB version, ordered it as soon as the pre-orders opened. The thing is, i really dont think i'd use this now that i have a decent gaming laptop. I'd only use this sitting on the couch anyway. 

It's be pointless cancelling my pre-order now so expect to see mine in the trading forum the day after i receive it.

18 minutes ago, jonamok said:

If you’re in Q1, and selling for cost, you’ll likely lose your arm.

My preorder but on steam is saying Q2 still, presumably because it’s the 512gb one?

Definitely will be selling for cost plus postage, can’t stand scalpers. 

On 04/02/2022 at 21:30, yashiro said:

Feb 7th rumoured to be press embargo lifting day.

That's only for the limited preview phase, the few people who Valve selected to preview it can't reveal all until way later.

Valve have chosen Linus Tech Tips for the mainstream reach and Gamers Nexus for their more hardcore hardware credentials (they are going for a full deep dive on the hardware) and The Phawx got sent it as he is an OG UMPC fan from before Valve even thought of the Deck.

10 hours ago, mushashi said:

That's only for the limited preview phase, the few people who Valve selected to preview it can't reveal all until way later.

Valve have chosen Linus Tech Tips for the mainstream reach and Gamers Nexus for their more hardcore hardware credentials (they are going for a full deep dive on the hardware) and The Phawx got sent it as he is an OG UMPC fan from before Valve even thought of the Deck.

If there's an embargo, how come some people have had these for weeks and have done in depth videos of them already?

EDIT: More importantly, why are we waiting for Linus Sellout and whoever those other two guys are?

51 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Because they basically have the retail models and they are the first in depth videos outside of the initial reveal period from valve headquarters last summer?

So what do the people who already have them have instead? How are they different?