IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

25 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Do we know how 'Pick up and play' it is, especially compared with the Switch? The Switch's near-instant restart is a huge point in its favour for me.

Nothing is out in the open due to NDAs, but suspend / resume functions are definitely in, and prominent PC-Dark-Souls-unfucker-turned-port-developer Durante said that it's basically a second or two, since around December.

6 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

The important thing for people like Uzi and I to remember is that it's not about convincing other people that they need a Deck. It's about convincing the people in the queue above us that they absolutely do not.

Cancel your pre-orders, people!

Lol my only mission is to convince other Q1 people to cancel

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

What's everyone else planning on using it for? Fortunately, my Steam backlog isn't too horrendous.

For me it's basically going to be a beast level retro handheld. I've really enjoyed getting back into retro this past few years and the idea of having one device which can play pretty much everything up to PS2 on the go or docked on a TV is the appeal. I've never done any PC gaming so I'll doubtless have fun picking through some of the Steam Store highlights too.

It'll also be great to have a portable device with excellent controls to stream PS5 and Xbox games. Indeed, it may well mitigate the need to buy a Series X entirely given MS's duel PC/ Xbox release and Gamepass streaming.

The hilarious thing is I have maybe an hour or two every day to play games, so having this many options to play on one device is pretty crazy. Lord knows when I'll get the thing though, I only pre-ordered last month so I'll consider myself lucky if I'm unwrapping it for Christmas. :lol:

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

Oh look an indie game on switch I already own on steam that I have to pay for again. Oh look a game for £40 for a lot of the library that I got for almost nothing in a humble choice bundle. Oh look awful joycon controllers. Oh look a crappy framerate or significant compromises to get this game to work on this thing in handheld mode. Most of all, oh look this game from thousands of thousands of games that is not on the switch.

They day I receive the steam deck (soon hopefully as Q1) without buying a single extra penny beyond the hardware, I'll likely have 200 plus verified games from my own library to play out of the box. At likely higher than PS4/Xbone settings inc framerates. Control at 60fps for example, which only the next gen consoles can do. In my hands. At zero extra cost. There will be no Steam Deck version I need to double dip for. On launch day I can play Hollow Knight, Yakuza Kiwami, Resident Evil 2 and a zillion other games that would likely never make it to the switch etc. 

I mean look at this list so far. Its fucking STUPID. It's destroyed the Switch library for me (Nintendo exclusives aside) which has had years to develop and it hasn't even launched yet! That's why I'm prob the most excited I've been in years and will prob sell my switch at some point. It fills that same gap (again mario/zelda etc aside but hello emulation) but significantly better in both library and hardware

https://steamdb.info/instantsearch/?refinementList[oslist][0]=Steam Deck Verified

You can of course play all those games on a normal PC and it will be a better experience, little known fact.

Having said that I doubt I'll be cancelling my preorder.

11 minutes ago, Giddas said:

You can of course play all those games on a normal PC and it will be a better experience, little known fact.

Having said that I doubt I'll be cancelling my preorder.

Oh wow. I should install steam on my normal RTX 3080 equipped pc and check those out. Thanks for the tip :P

Playing games at my PC/desk is an invested affair for me. It's for hour+ sessions which I don't always have time for. I rarely pop on a PC game for 30ish min sessions or to play indie games/smaller games on a giant screen set up where the deck will be perfect. The deck you can pick up, resume a game exactly where you left off like the switch and can do it anywhere at home. It's the instant and portable nature of it that is obviously the selling point. If you're intending to use it docked, then the PC market has really fucked you over.

One thing that is nice is that, even if somehow Valve wasn't too big to fail now and had to shutter overnight, it doesn't really stop you from acquiring games for it.

And I don't mean second hand games or modifying it to run unsigned code. Initiatives like Lutris, Legendary, Gamehub and PlayOnLinux just let you keep buying and playing games, both new and old. And that's before getting into any fruity action with installing new operating systems on the bloody thing.

I think at this point, the only things that can kill a Steam Deck ecosystem is if everything went to game streaming services (which the device can still support if it can support the service via a web browser or third party app), or if something took off that obsoletes x86 hardware altogether (which, in turn, obsoletes every modern computer in the process).

Likewise, the breadth of PC Gaming is where the real magic of the platform comes into play - no doubt in the far-flung future, some madman is going to make the next Dwarf Fortress/Undertale/Minecraft styled darling game that'll run on a toaster, and the deck will play it like a champion.

I was considering this after the news regarding the 3DS/WiiU eShop. I know hardware doesn't last forever, but something like the Steam Deck has the best possible chance of being relevant for an exceptionally long time.

(But everybody's dropping support for it immediately, so cancel your pre-order)

I'd just like to stop in and say that, if anyone is thinking of cancelling their pre-order, feel good about yourself and pass your order onto someone here who really wants one. Like me. GIVE IT TO ME.

Valve have also released a post saying that Ifixit will be selling spare parts for both the Deck and the Index. 

Thay also released the Cad files for people and companies to make add ons or replacement shells etc

It's so refreshing to see a company giving the customer the power and choice rather that locking everything down like Sony and Nintendo does. 

Having issues with joystick drift? No problem just 12 screws and you can replace them. No need to splash £60 on a new controller or wait weeks for a company to fix it. 

I've said it before but the modding scene for this is going to be brilliant. Plus all the community things like optimised game settings, controller profiles etc

I wonder if Valve and the publishers will get together to have a verified for Deck sale when it launches. 

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I'm considering cancelling my pre-order. I could only get the most expensive one, which is £570 I don't really have, and I would only really use it to play indies or smaller games, and I've got my OLED Switch for that; all newer, fancier games I'd want to play on the big screen, or on the gaming PC I already own. It'll be useful as a handheld Game Pass machine, but I'm not sure that will justify the cost.

What's everyone else planning on using it for? Fortunately, my Steam backlog isn't too horrendous.

4 hours ago, Uzi said:

Oh look an indie game on switch I already own on steam that I have to pay for again. Oh look a game for £40 for a lot of the library that I got for almost nothing in a humble choice bundle. Oh look awful joycon controllers. Oh look a crappy framerate or significant compromises to get this game to work on this thing in handheld mode. Most of all, oh look this game from thousands of thousands of games that is not on the switch.

They day I receive the steam deck (soon hopefully as Q1) without buying a single extra penny beyond the hardware, I'll likely have 200 plus verified games from my own library to play out of the box. At likely higher than PS4/Xbone settings inc framerates. Control at 60fps for example, which only the next gen consoles can do. In my hands. At zero extra cost. There will be no Steam Deck version I need to double dip for. On launch day I can play Hollow Knight, Yakuza Kiwami, Resident Evil 2 and a zillion other games that would likely never make it to the switch etc. 

I mean look at this list so far. Its fucking STUPID. It's destroyed the Switch library for me (Nintendo exclusives aside) which has had years to develop and it hasn't even launched yet! That's why I'm prob the most excited I've been in years and will prob sell my switch at some point. It fills that same gap (again mario/zelda etc aside but hello emulation) but significantly better in both library and hardware

https://steamdb.info/instantsearch/?refinementList[oslist][0]=Steam Deck Verified

You forgot to add that unlike the Switch, you can play properly emulated N64 games on the Deck :P

23 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Dunno if anyone cares but No Man's Sky is going to be natively supported on Steam Deck and has touch controls

1839240741_NMSSD.thumb.JPG.8d69e88c56cb3c0b9138ce4c10fdd457.JPG

I really, really hope they'd improve the interface for NMS on Deck. The last time I tried to play it on PC the maze of submenus was overwhelming.

Is the dolphin emulator on Steamstore? Or Aetherps2?

I play a bunch of old PES on myphone but having it on deck might tempt me not to sell the thing. I'm not arseing around with windows. 

13 hours ago, Ry said:

Is the dolphin emulator on Steamstore? Or Aetherps2?

I play a bunch of old PES on myphone but having it on deck might tempt me not to sell the thing. I'm not arseing around with windows. 

Not really within Steam itself - The only emulator on there is the Retroarch frontend, and that a) requires additional fiddling as the core is not on steam to just download, and b) requires using a piece of software ran by bullying cunts.

If SteamOS is anything like its Arch Linux brethren, it'll have an additional app store of sorts to grab it directly from (known as AUR), or support installer files (known as Flatpaks). Same thing with PCSX2 (which is what Aether is based from).

There's also likely going to be entire operating systems you can just flash onto an SD card, load up with games, and slap it into the deck before booting it up to do the job, although they are all derivatives of Retroarch. There's also other methods which I won't bother explaining as they're a bit more involved (namely Lutris and Gamehub).

In other news: about 20 new verified games have been added, and a bunch of playable and unsupported games. It's quite a mixed bag, so people should cancel their preorders to be on the safe side and avoid disappointment.

We only have to wait until Friday now until the first people get their emails and we get full reviews of the software.

It's like being a kid at Christmas again, I don't normally get hyped for tech releases but the I'm excited about the Steam Deck.

15 minutes ago, jonamok said:

My dream is that this runs Elden Ring well.

I think the thing that's going to be holding Elden Ring back is the new Anti-cheat solution they're implementing in a hurry after the shit that went on with the Dark Souls games. Even with EAC making it as simple as checking a box before you compile the bloody game to offer Linux compatibility, there's a fair few developers not even willing to do that.

Friday's going to be very interesting - I have a bad feeling that the software is still in a vast state of flux to the point it's going to put off anyone just wanting to pick up and play outside of verified games, but the potential of the amount of games you can play by putting the effort in is going to be astounding. Which is pretty much the vibe of what's going on with Linux right now - I've said it before, but even being able to download a Windows game and mostly get it perfectly playable is a big difference from the heady days of tux bowling.

No matter which week/month it is for Q2, I'm very likely booking some holiday for it. E3's pretty much dead, I might as well repurpose the time off to see if 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand is perfect for deck.

Hopefully Valve arranges a courier with tracking for more expensive items so I can just stay in the house when it's due, I can't remember if it was a thing while they was getting rid of Steam Controllers from their own inventory.