IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

3 hours ago, Siri said:

Oh, Konami.

What am I not seeing there? Aside from him being a fucking spanner and using the analogue stick, I mean.

Konami state officially that it doesn't work on SteamOS. So he runs it on SteamOS and it works. It's pretty obvious what the video is about unless you had your sound off at the start.

1 hour ago, yashiro said:

Konami state officially that it doesn't work on SteamOS. So he runs it on SteamOS and it works. It's pretty obvious what the video is about unless you had your sound off at the start.

There didn't appear to be any sound but I'm on a different device now and it does. Although he says "ko-no-me" so I'm pretty sure I was better off without it.

It was more the "Oh, Konami" comment - that seemed to suggest something was their fault?

Of course Konami gonna Konamj and the sooner someone buys their ip the better etcetera, but I still wonder about their reasoning behind this. What's their logic? It's a portable pc so uhm someone could carry it to a place where it's more susceptible to piracy? But why not block laptops also in that case? The Yakuza clan that controls Konami behind the scenes are big Nintendo fans and want to cockblock a potential competitor to the Switch? That seems the most likely explanation tbh. Either that or @deKay is secretly the CEO of Konami.

Their logic is they don’t want to field support questions on it. If you have no internal workflow for your support based around Linux/Proton or time/manpower to test games end to end then it’s simpler, and cheaper, to just say something doesn’t work.

On 02/03/2022 at 10:44, Dukesy said:

It arrived. Beautiful bit of kit. Only had a chance to test Hotline Miami and Jet Set Radio as they were quick to download but everything worked as expected. 

Can't wait to have some time later to get stuck in

Do you have Outrun 2 on your steam account? If you do, can you try it on the Deck please. 

This is really important. 

2 minutes ago, T Pot said:

Do you have Outrun 2 on your steam account? If you do, can you try it on the Deck please. 

As this is really important, I thought I best respond quickly. 

Unfortunately I don't :(

5 minutes ago, Dukesy said:

As this is really important, I thought I best respond quickly. 

Unfortunately I don't :(

In that case then you're going to have to send your Deck to me. For testing. 

5 hours ago, T Pot said:

Outrun 2 isn't on Steam, is it?!  I just searched for this and Outrun Arcade...hang on, do you mean Coast 2 Coast?

1 hour ago, Mitchell said:

Outrun 2 isn't on Steam, is it?!  I just searched for this and Outrun Arcade...hang on, do you mean Coast 2 Coast?

C2C was on Steam, but it got revoked from the store when Sega lost the Ferrari license.

If you've got a physical copy (for example, the GSP White Label budget version that languishes in charity shops and the like), you can actually rip the disk as an ISO and install on Linux via Lutris. There's a script that asks you to point out to the ISO and it will do all the configuration necessary.

Or you can play OR2 Online Arcade via RPCS3. Of course, that's digital only and you'd have to extract it from your console somehow, and I'm not sure how emulation will perform (but I've seen it run pretty much at 60fps on an old-ass 2600k and 1650, so I'd expect it to be okay)

36 minutes ago, Siri said:

C2C was on Steam, but it got revoked from the store when Sega lost the Ferrari license.

If you've got a physical copy (for example, the GSP White Label budget version that languishes in charity shops and the like), you can actually rip the disk as an ISO and install on Linux via Lutris. There's a script that asks you to point out to the ISO and it will do all the configuration necessary.

Or you can play OR2 Online Arcade via RPCS3. Of course, that's digital only and you'd have to extract it from your console somehow, and I'm not sure how emulation will perform (but I've seen it run pretty much at 60fps on an old-ass 2600k and 1650, so I'd expect it to be okay)

I've been battling with this for the last hour or so but have given up (it's freeware/abandonware now). 

https://lutris.net/games/outrun-2006-coast-2-coast/

You can install Lutris/Wine on the Discovery Store on the Decks Desktop, which seems like the game is going to work.  Goes through an install process, all looks very exiting....but then nothing.  Then Lutris doesn't even work.  :(

I'll give the PS3 version a bash!

23 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

https://lutris.net/games/outrun-2006-coast-2-coast/

You can install Lutris/Wine on the Discovery Store on the Decks Desktop, which seems like the game is going to work.  Goes through an install process, all looks very exiting....but then nothing.  Then Lutris doesn't even work.  :(

I'll give the PS3 version a bash!

Hm, that's unfortunate. If it's installed anything to that location you pointed to, I'd probably take a punt and point Steam towards the executable, in case it just runs on Proton.

I know I had a bit of a mare actually getting PSO: Blue Burst to actually run via WINE until I just told Steam to do it instead, and it worked straight away, so I know how flippant the scripts can be :lol: I'll have to pull myself to my computer to actually try it myself before I get my Deck, I do want Outrun and the fan patch going without resorting to RPCS3 or Teknoparrot (with the latter needing to be ran through a compatibility layer itself).

24 minutes ago, Siri said:

Hm, that's unfortunate. If it's installed anything to that location you pointed to, I'd probably take a punt and point Steam towards the executable, in case it just runs on Proton.

I know I had a bit of a mare actually getting PSO: Blue Burst to actually run via WINE until I just told Steam to do it instead, and it worked straight away, so I know how flippant the scripts can be :lol: I'll have to pull myself to my computer to actually try it myself before I get my Deck, I do want Outrun and the fan patch going without resorting to RPCS3 or Teknoparrot (with the latter needing to be ran through a compatibility layer itself).

I'm sure it will be fixed at some point, everything else seems to be!  

What is the fan patch?  This RPCS3 version seems great. Not even messed with any settings yet to see if I can get it to look better and it already looks lovely.  My one handed phone photo does not do it justice at all, it's super crisp on this screen.  

32 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

What is the fan patch?  This RPCS3 version seems great. Not even messed with any settings yet to see if I can get it to look better and it already looks lovely.  My one handed phone photo does not do it justice at all, it's super crisp on this screen.  

Glad to hear the PS3 version is running great!

The fan patch is Outrun FXT - fixes a couple of things, gives it xinput and custom resolution support, and some other bits and bobs. PGCW mentions it here.

12 hours ago, Mallet said:

So the Steam Deck gets 3 hours playtime when playing Red Dead Redemption 2 at medium settings. One of the best looking games we have seen so far which will look absolutely amazing on that small screen at medium settings and you can play for 3 hours. People say the battery life is poor, I have to ask once again what the hell people expect from a hand held PC?

I think for what the device is this is about as good as it can be. Impressive grunt to battery life ratio.

But the problem this and the PC in general has is that it's big and complicated to a degree that most gamers don't understand. And they shouldn't need to. But when the stream cross and PC gaming tries to look simpler and more appealing the expectations can get silly due to this lack of understanding.

It's easy to compare this to a switch and say it's bigger so should have more battery and last longer. Of course that's bullshit but the people complaining have no idea what they are talking about. The idea that this is a "hand held PC" doesn't mean anything. It's a handheld games machine.

The same will happen with game compatibly, game performance and the lengths to which players will need to fiddle settings, drivers, etc to get everything working. Things won't just work for all games. And anyone who uses PC for gaming will know that. They'll also have a higher tolerance for it. So they'll say it all just works and forget that every so often it doesn't. For those coming from console world that tolerance won't exist (although maybe more these days with performance and graphics modes and different console versions). They'll be amazed that games on the store don't work. Or that they need to install some random tool to tweak an unexposed setting.

So yes they expect the moon on a stick but the industry keeps doing it to themselves too. And I don't even really mean Valve necessarily but the media and forums like ours. There are many who wouldn't consider a Steam Deck but get caught up in the excitement and then disappointed it's not as plug and play as a technically savvy PC guy told them it would be.

Anyway, I'd have one if I could just buy one. Would love to play the odd thing from my PC library on the couch.

35 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I think for what the device is this is about as good as it can be. Impressive grunt to battery life ratio.

But the problem this and the PC in general has is that it's big and complicated to a degree that most gamers don't understand. And they shouldn't need to. But when the stream cross and PC gaming tries to look simpler and more appealing the expectations can get silly due to this lack of understanding.

It's easy to compare this to a switch and say it's bigger so should have more battery and last longer. Of course that's bullshit but the people complaining have no idea what they are talking about. The idea that this is a "hand held PC" doesn't mean anything. It's a handheld games machine.

The same will happen with game compatibly, game performance and the lengths to which players will need to fiddle settings, drivers, etc to get everything working. Things won't just work for all games. And anyone who uses PC for gaming will know that. They'll also have a higher tolerance for it. So they'll say it all just works and forget that every so often it doesn't. For those coming from console world that tolerance won't exist (although maybe more these days with performance and graphics modes and different console versions). They'll be amazed that games on the store don't work. Or that they need to install some random tool to tweak an unexposed setting.

So yes they expect the moon on a stick but the industry keeps doing it to themselves too. And I don't even really mean Valve necessarily but the media and forums like ours. There are many who wouldn't consider a Steam Deck but get caught up in the excitement and then disappointed it's not as plug and play as a technically savvy PC guy told them it would be.

Anyway, I'd have one if I could just buy one. Would love to play the odd thing from my PC library on the couch.

But how many non-PC gamers are actually buying Steam Decks though? It seems it’s pretty much exclusively people with a decent Steam library already. 

20 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

But how many non-PC gamers are actually buying Steam Decks though? It seems it’s pretty much exclusively people with a decent Steam library already. 

Oh agreed. Almost all. The one that springs to mind in here (no offense or anything) was a few questions from Ry about if it will just work and had about 2 games. The risk there is that rather than s huge library to pick from (and therefore always something to play) the games you want are less plug and play.

56 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

That’s me. I’ve never ever owned a gaming PC. I’ve a Mac, so I’ve a handful of steam games, and loads from bundles I’ve never played.  But the deck is very much my ‘easy’ way into PC gaming. I want those indie pc exclusives I miss, but I wasn’t bothered by bigger games till I heard Elden ring might work. 

I want as little admin as possible. I honestly think choosing performance or quality is a step too far in console. Life’s too short. Which I suspect the deck will fall far short of. 

the fact I’m having to check my mail daily for the order is annoying in it self. Come on Q2! 

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

Me. I don't play PC games. I don't even have a PC.

Hmm I'm not sure if buying a Linux based PC is going to be an easy way into pc gaming. 

Unless you stick to the verified games it is quite possible you will have to do more tweaking than a traditional Windows based PC. 

If you want the best battery life you will certainly have to tweak. I predict it won't be very long until most games will have the best settings available in the game's forum but you will still have to manually input those settings.

I'm the opposite in that I like tweaking settings, for me life is too short to play games with bad framerates or poor visuals if I can spend a little time to tweak and improve things. 

I suppose the assumption some people were making before launch was that developers or somebody else would be providing presets tuned specifically for the Deck available within the game itself, which in theory is a completely doable idea.

It's a fixed spec hardware target so any settings for one machine apply to all Decks.

The problem is the same as for consoles, what if you disagree with the person providing the tuned presets?, which is actually more of a growing problem on consoles now where developer presets don't necessarily provide the experience that some people want out of a game, see Dying Light 2 and Elden Ring for examples of this. Elden Ring can run at a locked 60fps on console as-is if you are happy to reduce the settings to last gen visual quality.

But at least with the Deck, it's ultimately in your power to decide*

*Within the processing power available on the device.

I think anyone assuming this will just work and be smooth now or going forward is in for a bit of a suprise.

It's a PC. And as great as Proton appears it's a compatibly layer that is going to make things trickier in some cases. Patches and updates are randomly going to break things or impact performance.

Who is responsible when your game worked last week but not this because the developer (who may not specifically support Linux at all) released a patch that Proton broke.

I'm excited by the device and think a fixed platform will help over time but it's unlikely to be smooth sailing and likely to get a little more complicated in time as hardware revisions change unless the PC development community buys in (and that seems unlikely given how they've reacted to most other attempts to standardise or simplify.