IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

I'd say if I was to draw a Venn diagram between PC exclusive games, Games that beat the snot out of my computer, and Games that are horrendously good/addictive, Satisfactory is pretty much the main standout for me personally.

A lot of the PC-only games I adore requires very modest hardware, however (Inscryption, Phantom Abyss, Verlet Swing, Gunfire Reborn, The Coin Game, etc etc).

Mine just arrived (256). Surprised by the size and weight of it in the flesh! It definitely feels premium and has a good heft to it without feeling heavy. Makes the switch feel like a cheap toy in the hands in comparison. 

Just downloading the initial update and then gonna load up Elden Ring and a few other games inc Hollow Knight etc to try it out.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

What’re the best PC exclusives that I can play on my steam deck when it eventually arrives (hopefully April)? 

VAMPIRE SURVIVORS... :)

Satisfactory is brilliant, not sure how well the SteamDeck will work with it though. FTL is one I've wanted on handheld for ever (not buying an iPad just for that). I would have said CKIII, but it looks like that is on PS5 and XBSX too now (or coming too it).  A friend of mine has been raving about Corekeeper, sounds like it could be good. Most of my games are multiplayer or already on consoles.

Oh Raft is worth a go as well.

Installed a couple of games (says I have over 200 verified ready to play) to play later tonight. Excited! Not a penny paid beyond the machine (which was already subsidised by almost £200 due to steam trading cards lol) and have hundreds of games to play

deckgames.thumb.jpg.a22761caafd2498d116df3929e13d80b.jpg

21 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Looks great. Can’t wait to get my big box library on it. 

Nice. Never seen that big box before. Is it a frontend for pcs? I have only done emulation on handhelds.

6 minutes ago, Giddas said:

But unlike the steamdeck & yourself it can leave the house 

I don't play games when I'm out in public lol. I'm not a nerd!!!

@Uzi I appreciate you’re likely playing it, but when you come up for a breather can I have some more of your impressions of Elden Ring on Deck? Settings, FPS, ease to control vs console controller etc.

Also, how is the fan noise when idling and when playing a demanding game like ER?

7 hours ago, Siri said:

A lot of the PC-only games I adore requires very modest hardware, however (Inscryption, Phantom Abyss, Verlet Swing, Gunfire Reborn, The Coin Game, etc etc).

Verlet Swing is on just about every platform.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

@Uzi I appreciate you’re likely playing it, but when you come up for a breather can I have some more of your impressions of Elden Ring on Deck? Settings, FPS, ease to control vs console controller etc.

Also, how is the fan noise when idling and when playing a demanding game like ER?

The game defaults to native rest high settings I locked it to 30fps. Feels smooth and responsive for 30fps and zero stuttering unlike pc version. The controls feel a bit weird since the deck is so big so while it's comfortable I've put 60 hours in the pc version with a elite controller using the paddles to emulate L1 and R1. So I think I'll need to set the back bumpers on the deck for optimal controls. Overall it's literally full fat elden ring at nice fidelity at 30fps. But a smooth 30fps.

Fan noise hasn't been an issue. It was loud when I first turned it on for for initial updates but not been an irritant. I mean you can definitely hear it when pushing the system but it's not whiney or high pitched to me.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Verlet Swing is on just about every platform.

Fair enough! We can replace it for Unbeatable: White Label now I've had a bit of time to mull it over.

Lisa: The Painful is also highly regarded, but I've only played a couple of hours, so I didn't want to recommend an RPG without giving it a fair go.

Edit: oh bloody hell, I forgot Noita. I'm still expecting that to be on consoles at some point, mind.

16 minutes ago, Radish said:

Sort of related to the topic… does anyone know of anywhere to buy discounted Steam wallet credit from? Doesn’t seem to be as easy to find as PSN etc. 

CDKeys

Have we had got any idea of how many have been sold/pre-ordered at all? 

I have awful premonitions of the thing not doing as good as Gabe would like it to do, and him just losing interest and buggering off to do something else. Which would be a huge pity in many ways because whilst I'm not entirely convinced by this first version, I do think an eventual successor will be pretty much fantastic. As it stands I think it's a great first attempt, but there's plenty that needs to be done.

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

The game defaults to native rest high settings I locked it to 30fps. Feels smooth and responsive for 30fps and zero stuttering unlike pc version. The controls feel a bit weird since the deck is so big so while it's comfortable I've put 60 hours in the pc version with a elite controller using the paddles to emulate L1 and R1. So I think I'll need to set the back bumpers on the deck for optimal controls. Overall it's literally full fat elden ring at nice fidelity at 30fps. But a smooth 30fps.

Fan noise hasn't been an issue. It was loud when I first turned it on for for initial updates but not been an irritant. I mean you can definitely hear it when pushing the system but it's not whiney or high pitched to me.

That all sounds great. Many thanks and much jelly.

7 minutes ago, jonamok said:

That all sounds great. Many thanks and much jelly.

No worries. I'll say this after about 30 mins.

Elden Ring is too nice for the steam deck. In fact its too nice for any portable play. I don't like it on the deck. The 30fps isn't that bad. It's that the game has not been designed around small screen. The vistas are too big, the draw distance too large, combat can happen from all sides in an instant, there is so much detail in the world. It's too big a game for the screen.. It's a game you need to play on a big tv. BOTW may have got away with it because it is a much simpler game graphically and there is a lot more bare space/textures to set things apart but nope, I don't like Elden Ring on this. I don't like walking around the capital and looking into the distance and seeing it all so grand but small. It's like trying to make an art book of the game printed on stamps.

On the other hand, everything else I've played has been amazing on there. Responsive, amazing screen, nice controls, all working without a hitch. Perfect. This is essentially my go to machine for games I don't feel need a giant OLED. I just think you can't do Elden Ring justice on it.

10 hours ago, Strafe said:

What’re the best PC exclusives that I can play on my steam deck when it eventually arrives (hopefully April)? 

Currently I’m interested in Valheim and..er…that’s it. Elden Ring, Horizon and God of War all look great but I’m playing or have played them already. I’m keen to play more full fat experiences rather than indie games. I know Valheim is an indie game. I suppose I mean mega graphics games.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'mega graphics' games, but true PC exclusives will pretty much be alternative / indie / low budget, as anything with a significant enough budget to be a 'mega graphics' game will need to release on multiple platforms to recoup costs.

But the short answer is literally every game is on PC except Sony exclusives, so the world is your oyster.

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

Not quite sure what you mean by 'mega graphics' games, but true PC exclusives will pretty much be alternative / indie / low budget, as anything with a significant enough budget to be a 'mega graphics' game will need to release on multiple platforms to recoup costs.

But the short answer is literally every game is on PC except Sony exclusives, so the world is your oyster.

I am keen to play games on it that showcase the power of the machine. (So God of War would be an insta buy but I already have it)

6 hours ago, Strafe said:

I am keen to play games on it that showcase the power of the machine. (So God of War would be an insta buy but I already have it)

Not sure if mods/steam workshop works with the Deck but that might be the way to go.  There are many great mods that enhance existing games.  As has been said the worlds your oyster on pc but may require tinkering.

ARMA 3 and Tarkov probably require the biggest amount of juice for something that's PC exclusive, but I don't have any experience playing them myself because I'm neck deep in a bunch of indie games that are more.. well, fun. For me, anyway.

That, and I would imagine that they'll suffer the same fate as playing Satisfactory, in that they're power-hungry to the extent that they'll run like absolute shit on the Deck. Having RDNA2 in a handheld device is great, but it's no miracle worker.

On 14/03/2022 at 15:31, Uzi said:

Installed a couple of games (says I have over 200 verified ready to play) to play later tonight. Excited! Not a penny paid beyond the machine (which was already subsidised by almost £200 due to steam trading cards lol) and have hundreds of games to play

Top tip!  If you install anything that is not Great On Deck verified, it will probably play better if you do the following:

Game settings>properties>compatibility>check 'force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool' and select Proton Experimental.

GTAIV for example, ran pretty poorly until I did this, now it's a solid 60fps.  

17 hours ago, Isaac said:

...and they are dribbling over as well (GOW, Horizon, Days Gone, Uncharted soon, etc).  Some you can emulate!  Persona 5 runs great on RPCS3.    

9 hours ago, simms said:

Not sure if mods/steam workshop works with the Deck but that might be the way to go.  There are many great mods that enhance existing games.  As has been said the worlds your oyster on pc but may require tinkering.

Steam Workshop mods work, yep.  Only issue at the moment is you have use the touchscreen to browse the area.  

Untitled.thumb.png.1fd2143a7b3746fbf2cd0149226aa5c6.png

8 hours ago, Siri said:

ARMA 3 and Tarkov probably require the biggest amount of juice for something that's PC exclusive, but I don't have any experience playing them myself because I'm neck deep in a bunch of indie games that are more.. well, fun. For me, anyway.

That, and I would imagine that they'll suffer the same fate as playing Satisfactory, in that they're power-hungry to the extent that they'll run like absolute shit on the Deck. Having RDNA2 in a handheld device is great, but it's no miracle worker.

Tarkov isn't on Steam and requires it's on launcher, but I'm presuming someone's worked around that?  Also I don't think it's possible to effectively okay Tarkov with a pad unless you're an absolute masochist.

22 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Tarkov isn't on Steam and requires it's on launcher, but I'm presuming someone's worked around that?  Also I don't think it's possible to effectively okay Tarkov with a pad unless you're an absolute masochist.

Indeed they did:

As mentioned, it do be chuggin' on the deck. I'd like to see someone play Satisfactory, because from the few clips I've seen, that's going to thrash the poor thing too. OTOH, Satisfactory is still very early doors in terms of being optimised, I don't think they've even added Vulkan yet.