IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

Any current deck owners @Mitchell @Dukesy I saw this on HUKD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B096LV7W9D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB C hub with HDMI 4K 60HZ out as well as usb charging passthrough, usb 3 type A ports, 3.5mm audio etc for £27ish

Happy to use it as a dock alternative in the meantime to plug in the deck to an external screen. I might need to be living out of a hotel soon for a few weeks so this could be ideal as opposed to brining my noisy shitty old laptop.

From what I've read, it sounds like xcloud streaming isn't working on this yet? But strange considering Phil Spencer was talking about trying it out months ago. Problem with the browser recognising controller inputs or something, which sounds fixable.

18 minutes ago, jonny_rat said:

From what I've read, it sounds like xcloud streaming isn't working on this yet? But strange considering Phil Spencer was talking about trying it out months ago. Problem with the browser recognising controller inputs or something, which sounds fixable.

Indeed, it's likely because the Deck's controls don't follow a standard API until it's hooked into Steam, bit like how the Steam Controller regresses into a grungy mouse without it. there's already a solution out, but it's a bit of a hack job:

Reading on resetera there are already ways people are playing GOG/Epic games natively. I've not faffed about at all, planning to use it purely as a portable steam box for now and of the 12 or so games I've played so far, they've been flawless and weirdly more console like that I've thought. I've not had to tweak any settings in game for the particular games I've loaded. Even Elden Ring which I've been playing on my main PC automatically switches to the correct res on t he deck, switches to the high preset (my desktop one has a custom preset). Every game I've loaded has already loaded on to the correct res and appropriate settings for the device (but I've also just played a load of 2D type games like Hollow Knight and Gris)

I'm really impressed with how console like they've made it UX wise and at the same time, with a single button you can get the cpu clock speed and frametimes on the screen. What a delightful little device (that is still a PC but wearing console clothing).

24 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Reading on resetera there are already ways people are playing GOG/Epic games natively. I've not faffed about at all, planning to use it purely as a portable steam box for now and of the 12 or so games I've played so far, they've been flawless and weirdly more console like that I've thought. 

Using Heroic for Epic/GOG was really one of those 'WTF' moments where the compatibility layer shined - booted it up, grabbed Tony Hawk and Samsho Collection, pointed them towards whatever flavour of Proton was on Linux at the time, and they ran like a charm.

I think the developer behind Heroic was after implementing controller support to navigate games instead of using the touchscreen (like Gamehub does, another library/collection launcher), so you can be patient for that if you want. I'll probably be installing it ASAP so I can play Stranger of Paradise when it's cheaper, mind. That, and my copy of Satisfactory is on EGS, so I need my fix at some point.

18 hours ago, Uzi said:

Any current deck owners @Mitchell @Dukesy I saw this on HUKD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B096LV7W9D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB C hub with HDMI 4K 60HZ out as well as usb charging passthrough, usb 3 type A ports, 3.5mm audio etc for £27ish

Happy to use it as a dock alternative in the meantime to plug in the deck to an external screen. I might need to be living out of a hotel soon for a few weeks so this could be ideal as opposed to brining my noisy shitty old laptop.

£50 now :(

Its Anker, it'll be on offer again in a week or two. 

They make good stuff but I don't think I have ever paid the rrp for any of their products. 

Jesus Christ!

I'm sure this isn't news to most of you but it was to me - I was sure it was going to be necessary to install Windows on the Deck to access 'other' game stores but it looks like an absolute piece of piss to get other stuff working natively.

Here's a 5 minute video which makes it look incredibly easy. I'm looking forward to wherever I fall in Q2 even more now!

Something Rich said in the latest Digital Foundry video really struck a chord with me.

Deck owners, the lucky few so far, are able to play a portable version of what is currently the biggest AAA release there is on launch day. You don't have to wait for a year or more for a watered down version to make to Switch, you can just play the PC version of Elden Ring.

Roll on Q2!

2 minutes ago, Mallet said:

Something Rich said in the latest Digital Foundry video really struck a chord with me.

Deck owners, the lucky few so far, are able to play a portable version of what is currently the biggest AAA release there is on launch day. You don't have to wait for a year or more for a watered down version to make to Switch, you can just play the PC version of Elden Ring.

Roll on Q2!

It is bonkers. I personally can't see this changing in the next couple of years either, and by then probably a Deck2! 

I really cannot wait. Q3 for me since Steam fell apart. Not to worry! 

6 hours ago, simms said:

Any bullet point summary? You know for those of us who don't want to watch someone spread out fuck all content over 12 minutes (and watch an ad - which or course I've done to even be able to say how long the video was).

33 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Any bullet point summary? You know for those of us who don't want to watch someone spread out fuck all content over 12 minutes (and watch an ad - which or course I've done to even be able to say how long the video was).

Didn't realise that was a requirement, I mean it's a 12 min vid not exactly a time sink.  @Doctor Sharkhas kindly done what you suggested 

1 minute ago, simms said:

Didn't realise that was a requirement, I mean it's a 12 min vid not exactly a time sink.  @Doctor Sharkhas kindly done what you suggested 

I mean of course it's not a requirement. But it's.as bad as the YouTube video titles themselves isn't it half the time. Here's a thing of which I'll only vaguely give you the content because I need ad revenue from you watching it (and to maximise my exposure via the YT algorithm).

But 12 minutes is forever isn't it? Video is so terrible as a format to basically list pros and cons (and for almost everything that appears on the platform).

The checklist is maybe a minute to read. Yes it takes the poster more time to write. But it's more useful. So at least give us the trailer... Why should we watch this particular video over typing "steam deck review" into Google? What drove you to think it was worth posting.

6 minutes ago, Phantoon said:

I mean if you can't be bothered to spend 12 minutes before blowing £400+ quid...

I'm not spending anything (at the moment). And when I decide to (because I will) I'll search in Google for current takes rather than reading this thread to watch every video. Real user experience will be useful from here of course.

But of course some people will just watch it.

36 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Why should we watch this particular video over typing "steam deck review" into Google? What drove you to think it was worth posting.

Are you ok

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

I mean of course it's not a requirement. But it's.as bad as the YouTube video titles themselves isn't it half the time. Here's a thing of which I'll only vaguely give you the content because I need ad revenue from you watching it (and to maximise my exposure via the YT algorithm).

But 12 minutes is forever isn't it? Video is so terrible as a format to basically list pros and cons (and for almost everything that appears on the platform).

The checklist is maybe a minute to read. Yes it takes the poster more time to write. But it's more useful. So at least give us the trailer... Why should we watch this particular video over typing "steam deck review" into Google? What drove you to think it was worth posting.

Jesus, I'm not here to convince you whether you should watch a video I post or not you can choose to or not, while I would sometime write a little something to accompany a video I post I didn't have time to., as I was going to mention the video said how quiet the machine is which I though may have been of some use to someone here.

2 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Yeah obviously the best medium for a review of an audiovisual device is bulletpointed text 😆

19 minutes ago, Giddas said:

Yeah obviously the best medium for a review of an audiovisual device is bulletpointed text 😆

Obviously I should stop digging here. I don't care all that much about this.

But... maybe.

Spoiler

Video can be okay for judging graphics but only if the video capture, encoding and rendering means I'm really seeing what the deck was out putting. Same for frame rate. I mean clearly text is shit for it too but maybe screenshots can at least be analysed for quality. And a simple number plus settings is better for frame rate. In the end we are not judging if the games look good but how the deck runs them. What settings achieves what frame rate and can be played for how long? 

Sound (be it game or fan noise) is unfortunately a bit pointless in video right? A mic can make fan noise sound much better or worse than it really is.

The best is probably ergonomics in terms of scale. How big is it in the hand? Where do the buttons fall for the user? Maybe showing if there's wiggle/play in the buttons or sticks.

I'd argue text plus a few photos/screenshots and data is better than video in many cases. Regardless of games being a primarily visual medium.

But of course different people like to absorb information in different ways.

So, I'm not saying these people shouldn't make video content. It's maybe the only good way to monetize content online at this point. And many people like the format.

I'm just suggesting that if you post a video it is nice (not required) to post a summary of what the video is going to talk about or highlights to look out for. The hook.

And now I'll slink away and get back to watching the TV whilst also reading stuff at the same time.

6 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

You’re welcome, by the way. 

Sorry. I did mean to thank you. So thank you.

I'd pos'd but forgotten to say it in all the other words due to the rage I'd been thrown into.