IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

5 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

The SD card slot is truly annoying. I mean it's great it's there, but Steam only accepts the SD when you format it for SteamOS, which renders it unreadable by external desktops and, crucially, the Steam Deck's own Linux desktop. Meaning that if you plan to use the SD card for transferring files, you need a separate card for that. Stupid really, considering Steam didn't bunker their files on Windows for example

Pretty sure that's not the case. People have been using the SD on the desktop and even using different filesystems on it. (btrfs)

9 minutes ago, yashiro said:

Pretty sure that's not the case. People have been using the SD on the desktop and even using different filesystems on it. (btrfs)

You can use an SD card on the desktop, but not if you’ve formatted it for use with SteamOS within Settings. Or at least the desktop environment won’t be able to access it. Both Windows and macOS can’t access it in that state either. 

If you format it to say, exFAT, the desktop environment can read it, but SteamOS won’t be able to move games onto it and it requires a SteamOS format first. 

6 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I've given Dark Souls PTD a spin but that seems stuck in 30 FPS despite the game and Deck all saying it should be 60.

It's been a while, but I think PTD is indeed locked to 30fps unless you use the DSFix mod.

The Remastered version should run at 60 though.

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

You can use an SD card on the desktop, but not if you’ve formatted it for use with SteamOS within Settings. Or at least the desktop environment won’t be able to access it. Both Windows and macOS can’t access it in that state either. 

If you format it to say, exFAT, the desktop environment can read it, but SteamOS won’t be able to move games onto it and it requires a SteamOS format first. 

That still doesn't seem right to me. I've not seen any complaints about Steam Deck making your SD card unreadable elsewhere. Maybe format the card with the official tool? https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

I'll keep an eye on the deck reddit but I haven't noticed this complaint before.

6 hours ago, yashiro said:

That still doesn't seem right to me. I've not seen any complaints about Steam Deck making your SD card unreadable elsewhere. Maybe format the card with the official tool? https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

I'll keep an eye on the deck reddit but I haven't noticed this complaint before.

Heh, I had to use that tool to get Windows to access the card once more in exFAT. :)

7 hours ago, Mogster said:

It's been a while, but I think PTD is indeed locked to 30fps unless you use the DSFix mod.

The Remastered version should run at 60 though.

Aaah, that suddenly makes sense…

Emulation Station has a Steam Deck version on their website now, it looks really smooth. The community around this device will be amazing. There will be so much tweaking and customising done, I am really looking forward to seeing where it all leads.

Also of note: almost everyday there's a random assortment of minuscule updates coming in. It seems that tweak Valve made for Elden Ring? They're doing that for a lot of games! Hell, killer7 got an update which judging by size must've been a config file or something of the sort.

Portal 2 looks splendid on the device, but I keep being distracted by Vampire Saviours and ... Secret Agent HD....

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Also of note: almost everyday there's a random assortment of minuscule updates coming in. It seems that tweak Valve made for Elden Ring? They're doing that for a lot of games! Hell, killer7 got an update which judging by size must've been a config file or something of the sort.

You might be getting confused with shader cache updates, that Steam does continually pipe through.

They are essential though - they basically mean that when you do play it, you should get a stutter-free experience, especially when it comes to compatibility layers like Proton that wouldn't have a set of shaders for Vulkan when playing Direct X games.

There is apparently a fairly substantial update coming on the beta branch of SteamOS/BIOS updates, though - including the TPM support to enable Windows 11 support, enhanced support for USB-C hubs including a fail-safe function if it does break the Deck, and dual-trackpad input for the on-screen keyboard. Discussions with Valve's technical support indicate Valve are working on fan curves in an update in the future, which will be nice.

Yep. Just check your e-mail account every Monday evening at around 6pm to be on the safe side, and you're golden (and Steam client, in case you're paranoid that your e-mail provider will dumpster it with all the scam e-mails)

On 31/03/2022 at 18:15, Siri said:

You might be getting confused with shader cache updates, that Steam does continually pipe through.

They are essential though - they basically mean that when you do play it, you should get a stutter-free experience, especially when it comes to compatibility layers like Proton that wouldn't have a set of shaders for Vulkan when playing Direct X games.

There is apparently a fairly substantial update coming on the beta branch of SteamOS/BIOS updates, though - including the TPM support to enable Windows 11 support, enhanced support for USB-C hubs including a fail-safe function if it does break the Deck, and dual-trackpad input for the on-screen keyboard. Discussions with Valve's technical support indicate Valve are working on fan curves in an update in the future, which will be nice.

Ah thanks! That does explain some stuff getting better (Dead Cells especially seems to have gained an improved framerate).

Considering the USB-C dock experience wasn’t as great, that update is good news as well. 

I'm still getting this. Looks great. But 100% don't fucking need it. When I travel I rarely game, took my Vita to Cyprus a couple of years ago, played Ridge Racer for ten minutes and lost it on the flight home. No, it wasn't turned in, bought a new one, mind.

Got a beast of a phone with a Razer Kishi and play a few Emulators in bed, but despite getting decent GamePass cloud via 5G I've played less than 30 mins of the big games. I like them at 77", even when trying in bed. Ooer.

So, It's an awesome piece of tech but I'm living in la la land if I think I'll do more than fiddle, I have myriad potent portable things that tell me otherwise.

Consumerism.

Anyone know how multiple profiles work on this? Like, can another person log into my Steam Deck and play my games?

Steam supports game library sharing with other accounts which I assume just works on the Deck.

Of course each game can have it's own built in anti-cheat/piracy stuff so mileage may vary I suspect. Without the same level of platform control it's going to be a case by case basis to some extent.

And once you get outside of Steam, or even to Windows, then it's a whole different kettle of fish.

4 hours ago, bear said:

So Uzi ordered his on day one at 1806 and he has his deck now. 

My order went through at 1807 so todays the day right? 

Right?:quote:

60 seconds could be thousands of orders.