IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

Well, it's a PC, so no account locking that I'm aware of - probably best thing is to wipe it via the recovery image you can download from Valve's website before selling it to make sure all your account details are scrubbed.

18 hours ago, Ry said:

Awesome Jazz singer. Great voice. You will remember this belter....

Hmm, he plays the sax a bit before descending into generic 90's soppiness. That's not really Jazz, is it?

18 hours ago, jonamok said:

Love how this thread has gone from covert Wutan to overt Stigers.

Here's a happy medium.

Also, I should have my order coming through between July-September. Woo.

Just now, jonamok said:

It’s here! 🤩 I take back all the bad things I said about ParcelForce upthread!

Now, to finally... start work. Dammit. 🙁

I'd say it's time for a toilet break.

It's here! It's on! It hasn't exploded yet! :omg:

Made a pig's ear of the screen protector install, but never mind that bollocks.

Immediate impressions:

- it's w i d e a s f u c k, but it's actually quite thin in height and in the middle. It's quite sensible to hold.

- my Deck's fan is.. fine. It's clearly pushing out a fair bit of air through a tiny chassis and it's not silent when it's going for it, but it's no different to a laptop fan, honestly. And it gets drowned out by the surprisingly loud and crisp speakers.

- controls at the moment - d-pad is excellent, buttons are good, analog sticks are fine (could do with being a bit more concave, down to preference), trackpads and back buttons feel serviceable, start/select are better than warned, Steam/QAM buttons are worse than warned. In all, better than expected, but I'll need time with it.

- SteamOS does the job, but it's weird and generally daft when it comes to common sense stuff - I go and install stuff like Fallout, back out, and I'm on games starting with E and I can't scroll down until I l scroll up. But the in-game overlay is great, and the general 'pick game and play' on installed games is fine.

- screen's perfectly legible and vibrant, as someone who only has IPS phones/monitors at best in the house. I'm sure OLED's better, but feel free to call me when a drop-in aftermarket kit comes out like every other handheld and it's cheap as fuck.

Anyway, time to let it download a few big games and soak a little. Then we can get on to the dumb shit like non-steam games.

handheld new vegas

That is something - the UK plug is pretty atrocious. Wiggles loosely when it's plugged in, only about a metre of cord so you have to be near a wall when playing off the mains, and it barely fits the case's little alcove and bows the strap because it's a molded 3-pin plug.

I mean, it's a machine that's capable of running most of my Steam Library at half the price of any other handheld in its class, but come the fuck on dude /s

Sat by a plug setting up. Tetris Effect Connected and Mixolumia ready to install. 

266 of my 1629 games are SD ready. So interesting to see how some of the other 1400 fare.

I was playing Handheld Fallout last night….

HANDHELD FALLOUT,

Absolutely in awe of this bit of kit, I’ve had GPD Wins etc. in the past and sure they do a similar thing, just badly. This is perfect, no pissing about with controller schemes or anything, everything has loaded first time, the fan isn’t even as loud as my tinnitus, I can’t hear it at all. It’s comfortable in my big fat hands, battery seems really decent and you can play whilst charging (couldn’t on the Win)

I am the worlds biggest ambassador for the Switch, it has taken up all of my gaming time for several years now, but the Steam Deck is a real new contender for my affections. It’s now going to be a case of “AAA game comes out, can Steam deck play it? Yes, then why wait 4 years for a Switch port”

9/10 from me. It’s brilliant, really brilliant.

Resize_20220411_162617_7920.thumb.jpg.5467dd9f269d1387ab9bf46dcc8c429b.jpg

The thing that the Steam Deck really nails compared to their previous Steam Machine initiative is, when it comes to PC games, you really need a way to interface with the typical bullshit that comes with it.

No matter how good the Steam Controller was, Windows' UAC overlays, various game launchers and third party overlays did their absolute best to ruin the experience, and you often had to get up from your sofa and fuck around.

With the deck, it's just.. there, right in front of you. Launchers get told to fuck off with the tap of a touch screen, and the dedicated OS means the force quit and performance adjustments are readily available to you, and it's fucking wonderful.

With further play, I've noticed my analogue sticks are a little crunchy, but they're working fine in, so I'm going to see if I can thrash them to cure it. On the bright side, they'll be a doddle to replace if they do cark it.

I have noted that the haptic feedback is different on each side of the deck, but I'm not sure if that's intentional or not. Feels a lot stronger on the right, and then I'm using the on-screen keyboard it pops off even more. Overall, it's a bit crummy.

I've tried some 'unknown' games (New Vegas, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, Phantom Abyss and Robot Derby Disco Dodgeball), and they're all running well with the scant time I've played them, and with a fair bit more graphical grunt than what old gen Ryzen APUs can offer. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I've mainly been fucking around with a 3400g mini-itx setup, and it's a full-on generational leapfrog. Phantom Abyss was strictly a 720p-on-low affair to hit 60fps on the 3400g, while the deck is handily getting that performance with a slightly more intensive native resolution - On High settings, and being nowhere near a wall socket. Frankly, I need to sell it off.

It's a remarkable bit of kit, truely. And the thought that this effectively houses a good couple of decades of video games is mind-boggling. But for the moment? I'm happy with whatever the fuck I got in a humble bundle.

Here I am, beating Margit, on a fucking handheld. Scenes.

Won the fan lottery, barely hear it. Screen (256Gb) is great. Very happy, to say the least.

Question: How do I deactivate certain Deck inputs? I want to turn off the touchscreen and back buttons in ER as I catch them inadvertently, and they seem dual mapped to ABXY inputs even though they aren’t in the game’s controller settings. 

6 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Thought there was no stock until late 2022, when did you guys order?

10 mins after preorder window opened at 6pm on July 16th last year.

Arg, my order is in the process of shipping but since the preorder was made I've since moved and am now perpertually skint. Seeing the 512gb version sell on ebay for £1500 it's mighty tempting to flog this on when it arrives...

So a bit of messing around.

Gamepass xCloud

Works great, felt as good as it does when playing xCloud on the PC. 

Tetris Effect Connected

Wonderful, but not a fan of the d-pad with this one. Just needs some getting used to. 

Mixolumia

Is a (?) game, but plays perfectly

Circuit Superstars

Perfect. Had a blast with this just trying out tracks.

In-Home Streaming (Life is Strange Remastered)

I only have the 64gb model, so in-home streaming is somewhat important. It is simply a case of slecting the down arrow next to games that are installed on Steam on the PC whilst running and choosing the PC instead of the Deck and it streams. So little fuss and games such as LiS are spot onm.

Other things of note:

I don't need to wait for the unlikely Switch port of Enslaved. 

I share a library with a friend (my 1600 games and thier 300) and library sharing also works out of the box.

The Switch feels tiny now. 

The Deck is big and cumbersome, and I love it for that. 

On 09/04/2022 at 19:31, Jamie John said:

Are these relatively easy to sell on if I don't end up thinking it's worth it? There's nothing locking your Deck into your Steam account, or anything like that? I've got a 512GB model ordered, but £550, or whatever it is, ain't cheap.

Yes… I’ll have it, I’ve got fucking fomo , I was put walking when they got announced/ pre orders, so had a patchy signal and wasn’t too fussed, but now I need one, to go with the analogue pocket I never use and the play date that’s not arrived 😂

I've been loving mine playing Hollow Knight on it but I have ONE big complaint. 

Slay the Spire is verified but the controls don't work at all. 

Congratulations on the arrivals of your deck to those above. Mine is still stuck in customs but I definitely seem to be the outlier with it being stopped there. I'm trying a pincer movement of complaining to Valve and Parcel Force to see if they can help it be released, I doubt either can do anything but it makes me feel like I'm doing something.

What are people using for adding a physical mouse and keyboard? Bluetooth or USB hub? 

Seen you can add other libraries but best to use proper input devices as s lot of typing. 

Thinking BT as can then use for future virtual pinball table. 

Hope you get yours soon, @Big Swifty. I know customs is a shitshow from work stuff, but it's usually a few days at most even with pallet consignments. Very annoying.

as for KBM, I'd probably go USB hub so I don't have to buy any new shit.

I've tried a couple more unknown games:

BallisticNG: runs well. I'd probably turn down a few settings for solid 60fps, and I had to put weapon stuff on the paddles because the face buttons are a little small for efficiency, but otherwise it's superb. The soundtrack is ace through the Deck's speakers.

Hatoful Boyfriend: Has a launcher and can't run at native resolution, but otherwise works perfectly fine and looks crisp.

Legacy of Kain - Soul Reaver: Has a launcher, but you can select native res from what I can tell. Videos are a black screen, but you can hear audio from them oddly so it's not the 'bad codec' thing you get like in other proton stuff. Game runs well, actions are all KBM prompts though and the save system requires a keyboard (you can mash out a name using the controller, as the community layout is mapped to a keyboard).

Ultra Street Fighter IV - runs fine in-game, a couple of frame drops when TDP limited but I would imagine that's with everything set to max as well. Weird codec issues for Arcade mode FMVs - video runs fine, but no audio and flashes the video card a couple of times even though the video's running. D-Pad's a little stuff and my thumb exploded after trying to mash out gief SPDs like I was on Vanilla.

Also, going back to the 3400g comparison: while my mini PC setup ran Superhot at around 20fps on the lowest settings, the Deck is pretty much bang on 60fps with everything turned on. It's genuinely fantastic to see, and a real night/day sensation.

I'll have to stop downloading games soon, though, as there's already a sensation of choice paralysis when I'm figuring out what games to get pre-loaded already. Thank god for the favourite games tab, I guess!

Just been watching Retro Game Corps talk about emulation on this thing. 

Oh boy. He has Switch games running on it and it's looks like it has great options with Emulation Station. 

5 hours ago, jonamok said:

Here I am, beating Margit, on a fucking handheld. Scenes.

Won the fan lottery, barely hear it. Screen (256Gb) is great. Very happy, to say the least.

Question: How do I deactivate certain Deck inputs? I want to turn off the touchscreen and back buttons in ER as I catch them inadvertently, and they seem dual mapped to ABXY inputs even though they aren’t in the game’s controller settings. 

2 ways.
Bring up Home in a game and push right to quick edit keys. 

Before launching a game in Steam look to the right for a joypad icon. Click that.