IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

23 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

However I think the Deck will be a boon for people who don’t want to deal with a Switch, it’s joycons or pay full price for first-party Nintendo releases. I don’t think it will make a noticeable difference to Nintendo’s bottom line but there will be plenty of people pirating these games who simply wouldn’t buy a Switch anyway.

Don’t want to pay for Nintendo games but will pay £350+ for a device to ponce them on 😄

I think I'd sooner pay someone to 3D print a cradle and get a USB-C dock that people have tested than fork out a ton for that, honestly.

Speaking of things I don't have yet, one of the aspects that the deck really could do with (optionally, for power users) is per-game settings for the overlay's power management settings.

It's alright when you start up a game and dial in something to get a shitload of battery life (like, say, 15fps for a visual novel), but I always get caught out going over to GTA and then wonder why it's a slideshow.

It's something that can be easily managed - even for non-steam games, if they go through Proton, they get allocated an ID that can be linked to.. something that manages the settings. I'd imagine some clever bod will get around to it.

The removable USB C cable is a big positive on that dock. Most of the reasonably priced USB hubs I've seen come with the cable wired in which is fine for laptops but the placement of the USB C port on the Steamdeck makes it a touch awkward. I don't want a setup where the hub is dangling from the back of the deck. 

It isn't worth £100 unless you have a setup where you'd also regularly be using something like an iPad or Galaxy Tab docked but it's got almost everything you'd want on a Deck dock. Ethernet would have been nice I guess. 

4 hours ago, Giddas said:

Don’t want to pay for Nintendo games but will pay £350+ for a device to ponce them on 😄

Well no, the people buying Steam Decks are buying them to play their Steam games.

But then some will also be using them to play Nintendo games. It’s not that hard to follow if you just read it a little bit more slowly next time.

11 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Well no, the people buying Steam Decks are buying them to play their Steam games.

But then some will also be using them to play Nintendo games. It’s not that hard to follow if you just read it a little bit more slowly next time.

I suppose with the small selection available on Steam getting Switch games on the snide is understandable.

How are people finding this to hold on long play sessions? I’ve spent my first few times using it just downloading stuff but I never quite feel like I’m holding it properly, like it’s going to slip out of my hands or I haven’t quite got the reach for a button in a hectic game. Are most people playing with the base of it on a table or something?

16 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

How are people finding this to hold on long play sessions? I’ve spent my first few times using it just downloading stuff but I never quite feel like I’m holding it properly, like it’s going to slip out of my hands or I haven’t quite got the reach for a button in a hectic game. Are most people playing with the base of it on a table or something?

I find it really comfortable and the weight actually feels good to me even after a session of more than a couple of hours 

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Anyone had any luck with PrimeHack on this yet? Game runs, but just cannot get the controller to work. 

Reddit comes up with a few results regarding Primehack on the Deck, and I remember some hubbub about it turning up on Flathub (and as a result, a flatpak on the Discover store). I wouldn't know if that'll help mind, I haven't bothered with anything Nintendo-wise yet. (Eventually I will, for that Shin Megami Tensei IV runback in commemoration of the death of the eShop)

Instead, in the limited time I've had today, I've been dealing with the holy trinity of off-brand PC shenanigans over the years - Space Funeral, Streets of Rage Remake and Dong Dong Never Die.

Space Funeral and SoRR pretty much run flawlessly with recognised pad controls. DDND has a pretty fucky control scheme lending to it being a keyboard-exclusive layout and needed a restart to hook into full screen, but it's responsive to the keysi was able to use before looking it up and it looks superb.

Regarding extended play - the only thing I've really noticed is that I have this constant feeling of my thumb slipping off the left analogue stick, but actually holding it hasn't been an issue unless I'm laying on an elbow (and that's due to habit and poor posture, as I do that with normal controllers and sleeping). I don't normally play it while being sat up, though - it's normally on my stomach or chest while laying down.

1 hour ago, CovisGod said:

How are people finding this to hold on long play sessions?

Took me a little while to get a grip that allowed me to comfortably use L1 and R1. It’s certainly not as easy or intuitive to hold as a dualsense or Xbox controller - perhaps it is if you have bigger hands/ longer fingers. However, I’m fine with it now, and bar the odd missed input am happily R1ing my way across the Lands Between.

My reserved time is 18:15 launch day on the email for a UK 256 and nothing yet but I'm reading people who are 18:18 with the same model receiving their emails on Steamdeck on reddit. Quite disheartening and it's not even for me, it's for my eldest :( 

1 hour ago, Siri said:

Reddit comes up with a few results regarding Primehack on the Deck, and I remember some hubbub about it turning up on Flathub (and as a result, a flatpak on the Discover store). I wouldn't know if that'll help mind, I haven't bothered with anything Nintendo-wise yet. (Eventually I will, for that Shin Megami Tensei IV runback in commemoration of the death of the eShop)

Instead, in the limited time I've had today, I've been dealing with the holy trinity of off-brand PC shenanigans over the years - Space Funeral, Streets of Rage Remake and Dong Dong Never Die.

Space Funeral and SoRR pretty much run flawlessly with recognised pad controls. DDND has a pretty fucky control scheme lending to it being a keyboard-exclusive layout and needed a restart to hook into full screen, but it's responsive to the keysi was able to use before looking it up and it looks superb.

Regarding extended play - the only thing I've really noticed is that I have this constant feeling of my thumb slipping off the left analogue stick, but actually holding it hasn't been an issue unless I'm laying on an elbow (and that's due to habit and poor posture, as I do that with normal controllers and sleeping). I don't normally play it while being sat up, though - it's normally on my stomach or chest while laying down.

I sort of have it woring. I had to change the controller it finds in Dolphin (PrimeHack version) but some buttons do not work, so I need to go and manually update them I think. Got sidetracked playing some Nobody Saves the World though. 

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Took me a little while to get a grip that allowed me to comfortably use L1 and R1. It’s certainly not as easy or intuitive to hold as a dualsense or Xbox controller - perhaps it is if you have bigger hands/ longer fingers. However, I’m fine with it now, and bar the odd missed input am happily R1ing my way across the Lands Between.

I feel I am missing something obvious here... what game is this?

2 hours ago, Mitchell said:

It's an interesting concept, and it's a unique position compared to locked EDID settings from a console manufacturer and consumer display panels, but I still feel like the main Achilles heel of the deck is frame drops from shader caching with anything outside of Steam, as opposed to just plain average framerate. And that's not going away until there's an async shader compilation solution that doesn't make anti-cheat go apeshit. Shaders are not a problem on Windows obv, but SteamOS is shipped with the deck, so eh.

solid frame pacing is a perfectly good motivation outside of that, though - I flutter between 60fps and 30fps on GTA4 based on where I'm at with the battery, and while there's a clear drop in fluidity, it still feels good to play because I can do things on a dime. If this sort of thing means we can get a suite of functions to make the next few years of games a responsive experience, I'm all for it.

My tracking information hasn't updated since last Wednesday. I'm sure the bank holiday held things up a bit but I am starting to get a little nervous. 

23 minutes ago, bear said:

My tracking information hasn't updated since last Wednesday. I'm sure the bank holiday held things up a bit but I am starting to get a little nervous. 

When did you complete the order for it?

IIRC, I didn't get any update from either Parcelforce or GLS for a few days before it finally got through customs and everything updated on both fronts, so I'd imagine it would take longer given the bank holiday. Given it took a week without a bank holiday, I'd give it a ten day turnaround from when the order was completed.

Took the deck into work today, did another mission on GTA4 and now I'm using the company electricity to fund tonight's gaming. How devious!

I do need a travel charger, though. I'm currently using the switch power brick so the more power-dense Chicory brick is at home, but I'd like to get a plug that tucks neatly into the case's alcove.

Just now, bradigor said:

I'm using my Raycon Everyday Buds and they do the job really well. 

I have Arctis 3 on the PC and they are lovely. 

I’ve got pretty terrible tinnitus so earbuds are really uncomfortable after a few minutes, I’ve not had a decent headset before so I don’t want to back the wrong horse!

2 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I'm using my Raycon Everyday Buds and they do the job really well. 

I have Arctis 3 on the PC and they are lovely. 

Nothing personal, but I genuinely can't tell these days if anyone is seriously recommending Raycon or simply doing the promotional spiel. 🙃 Damn you, Raycon target demographic selector!

Nah I got given a pair and they do a job, not the best bit decent enough. Better than other buds I've had, but then I've only ever had cheap ones <£30 before.

44 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Does anyone have either of these headphones? 

DAAF6097-5A07-46BD-BEB5-3EC3ECE45593.jpeg

Neither of those particular ones, but my personal experience with SteelSeries is that they’re good tech marred by an inferior build quality. If you do buy one, you may want to take preemptive action to reinforce the hinges. 

I've been using the Official XBox Wireless Headset with the Bluetooth pairing to get around using a dongle like my standard PC headset - works fine, sounds great, and lets me mix Bluetooth/Xbox audio if I'm watching YouTube or Twitch on the telly.

I've used a pair of KZN Pro X buds as well with the 3.5mm jack - not a big fan, but that's more down to the in-ear fitment. I haven't tried using a wired set of on-ear cans, but I'm sure it will sound fine.

They seem well liked but compared to Sennheiser and Bose products of similar or lower pricing I found SteelSeries stuff to be cheap feeling with a shite mic and bizarrely uncomfortable design.