IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

Odd thing with my SD card today. It's there in desktop mode, and I can run non steam games from it (stuff from epic games launcher and GOG, some emulation etc), but steam doesn't see it, doesn' see any of the dozen or so games that I'd installed on it (actually moved to it from the internal ssd). Doesn't show up under storage in teh steam menu. But it's definitely there, dammit...

Might be something up with the card I suppose, but seemed to have fixed it create a new steam folder on the SD card (in desktop mode) and moving the old stuff into it. Will keep an eye on it.

51 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Where’s the micro SD card deals at?

HotUKDeals, if anything crops up.

I hesitate to post a lot of the cheap SanDisk Amazon jobbies even if they show up on HUKD, as I heard one too many bad news stories on Reddit where someone ends up with a fake that shits the bed after going over a certain amount of space.

Personally, I just bit the bullet and bought an Evo Select card because Samsung recently changed the look of them, so it's easier to pick up a genuine card.

Decided to have a quick go of Path of Exile while at lunch, in preparation for the new league in May. It works. Just sat there and did a few runs of Blood Aqueducts on an alt character, couple of levels and picking up some gear for him.

I mean, I've already said as such a week or so ago. But this time, I'm running it off of my phone's 4G hotspot, because it's an online-only game.

It's about 100ms off of any server, as opposed to 30ms off the London server via landline - but I honestly couldn't tell you the difference, as client side usually calculates all the hit detection while playing.

It's.. actually a better experience playing it on the Deck, away from home, than it is playing on my Xbox when the WiFi has to contend with multiple walls. It's genuinely amazing - I'm very certain it will be a very pleasant mapping experience, but the fact that I'm 20 miles away from my place while doing it is fantastic.

Is there a way to manually force a game update on Deck? Or even to see what version number it’s up to?

I ask, as I’m playing No Man’s Sky and the thumbnail for it on the Deck homepage has the NMS Frontiers graphic, from back in Feb, and I assume it should be Outlaws now?

14 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Is there a way to manually force a game update on Deck? Or even to see what version number it’s up to?

I ask, as I’m playing No Man’s Sky and the thumbnail for it on the Deck homepage has the NMS Frontiers graphic, from back in Feb, and I assume it should be Outlaws now?

The graphic is Frontiers but the game is Outlaws. I'm playing it at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, jonamok said:

You can find out when a game was last updated on SteamDB and go from there. Otherwise, it's just safe to assume you've got the latest version, it'll hassle you to download something if you didn't on start-up (I remember forcing Like A Dragon to not update in case it closes a loophole to play VF5 independently from the game itself).

The tile art doesn't necessarily correspond to the update, and that's up for the developer to decide - I know Path of Exile and Satisfactory does it for every Major Update, I imagine it's the game for NMS (otherwise, it would have Sentinel as the cover art by now)

5 hours ago, Mallet said:

I think if you make sure that the card is sold by amazon themselves and not some 3rd party seller you should be OK? 

Nope. 

On 22/04/2022 at 10:41, Siri said:

FYI: Lutris is now on Flathub and/or in Flatpak format, so it can be now installed on Steam Decks without disabling the read-only file system for SteamOS.

Great news, as that hooks into a fair few storefronts and had some recent revamps to make random Windows application installs a fair bit easier via a step-by-step wizard process.

I am all new to this linux stuff, see this flathub, flatpack stuff, is it likely at some point this aill all come out prepackaged instead of grabbing x, y and z to put it all together? (Or am I misunderstanding things).

It has all been vewwy, vewwy confusing to a newbie like me.

I managed to get driver san franciso running, even Goldeneyed 64...but the whole lutris thing is a bit overwhelming.

28 minutes ago, Bonzai1888 said:

I am all new to this linux stuff, see this flathub, flatpack stuff, is it likely at some point this aill all come out prepackaged instead of grabbing x, y and z to put it all together? (Or am I misunderstanding things).

Probably, but not until a lot more people get a hold of a Steam Deck and have time to ensure everything works right like SteamOS.

Contained below is long-winded explanations and rambling:

Spoiler

Thing is, the reason it's all piecemeal at the moment is because SteamOS isn't completely open to be fucked around with, if only to ensure a base level of performance while Valve are actively supporting it.

Currently, if you install any Linux software (not games) on SteamOS outside of the recognised channels, there's a good chance it gets nuked when the deck updates.

As a result, programs that usually work fine on other Linux operating systems like Lutris and Heroic are being introduced into SteamOS as recognised installers (aka. Flatpaks) by their developers, but there's teething issues with that as they originally rely on pulling other software to get them running properly (known as dependencies).

As people get hold of the handheld (and, in turn, SteamOS 3.0 and the hardware to test), there's a good chance someone will take the bits that make the SteamOS functionality tick and slap it into another popular distribution of Linux, along with all the popular applications pre-installed.

But again, that takes time - SteamOS 3.0 technically isn't out yet, as it's only available as something you flash to the Deck's storage, as opposed to something you can install to any PC.

According to early reports in regards to the new software update pushed out overnight (hence Bradigor's comment on compatibility updates), it's possible they have added a new quieter fan profile for things consuming a moderate amount of TDP, and a toggle to enable a less intensive variable shader process (which apparently looks like arse, but might save some battery power if you're inclined?). There has been warnings that the new update can induce a boot loop, so keep that in mind before updating.

I've updated this morning with no problems, but I haven't played anything on it yet. Will have to wait until lunchtime!

Played a couple of things this morning also added ProtonUp to test it I can get rid of the yellow screen during cut scenes (no luck) and all seems fine so far 

Just installed the new SteamOS update. Let's see if things are better (and if that annoying framedrop hiccup in Metal Slug X is fixed).

[edit] Nope, MSX is still stuttering.

Without sounding like a total luddite, are you able to fire up the steam deck and just play your steam games without tinkering and adjusting TDP and and other settings? Part of the appeal of the switch (and traditional consoles) is that games are optimised (supposedly) and just "work". 

5 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

Without sounding like a total luddite, are you able to fire up the steam deck and just play your steam games without tinkering and adjusting TDP and and other settings? Part of the appeal of the switch (and traditional consoles) is that games are optimised (supposedly) and just "work". 

That's all I've been doing and it's been great. 

Played through Katamari Reroll and I didn't adjust any setting. 

1 minute ago, bear said:

That's all I've been doing and it's been great. 

Played through Katamari Reroll and I didn't adjust any setting. 

Thanks :) So much of the thread had been about tinkering, which is great but i was getting a bit worried that i'll be constantly starting and stopping games to manually optimise them or even get them to run. It's good that the option is there though to open the system up for whatever you want to do to it.

11 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

I think the only valid answer to this is that every individual's mileage will vary.

If you're happy to stick to verified games (a growing list) then yes, probably. Most of the time. This is PC gaming and things will randomly break because an OS/driver/game update does so. For reference I think @bradigorposted a pie chart of his library's verified level and it was something like 30% I think.

I also suspect the level of verified that you're comfortable with and think of as "just working" will vary from person to person.

And how true will that be in a year? Over time the most interesting thing will be whether new releases generally ready to go day one. Or are deck users waiting a little longer. And at what point does that support fall away? Hopefully never but it'll be a question of grunt and interest from Valve (looking great so far).

For the most part I have just woken the deck up and played a game. I like to tinker when a new update hits. 

I've been mostly playing No Man's Sky and Mixolumia both of which need no extra steps. NMS is verified and whilst Mixolumia is (?) Unknown it runs perfectly.

Honestly it is worth just trying out any game in your library just to see.

11 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I think the only valid answer to this is that every individual's mileage will vary.

If you're happy to stick to verified games (a growing list) then yes, probably. Most of the time. This is PC gaming and things will randomly break because an OS/driver/game update does so. For reference I think @bradigorposted a pie chart of his library's verified level and it was something like 30% I think.

I also suspect the level of verified that you're comfortable with and think of as "just working" will vary from person to person.

And how true will that be in a year? Over time the most interesting thing will be whether new releases generally ready to go day one. Or are deck users waiting a little longer. And at what point does that support fall away? Hopefully never but it'll be a question of grunt and interest from Valve (looking great so far).

On your last point. I got a review code for Loot River over the weekend and the PR rep was telling those with a Deck to try it on there so I think we'll see a decent amount of games, especially indie work day one, if not be officially verified.

24 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

So much of the thread had been about tinkering, which is great but i was getting a bit worried that i'll be constantly starting and stopping games to manually optimise them or even get them to run.

There's a bit of selection bias going on - by its very nature, tinkering lends itself to extended discussion whereas just playing the games limits a person to the odd post to that effect. You'll see a lot more posts from people talking about getting different games running as a result.

Indeed. I don’t post much in here, despite being one of the few of us with the Deck, as I have done virtually zero tinkering*. I’ve never even gone into desktop mode, just been playing Elden Ring, NMS and Disco Elysium.

* Only thing I did was change the controller options for ER and DE to add the screen magnifier option to one of the unused back paddles. Makes reading the text easier.

Glad to hear this - I was starting to get really put off by the chat that this sounded like a box you needed to tinker with all the time.  All I want to do is play some PC games handheld with the option of shoving it on the telly every now and again without fannying about.

28 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

There's a bit of selection bias going on - by its very nature, tinkering lends itself to extended discussion whereas just playing the games limits a person to the odd post to that effect. You'll see a lot more posts from people talking about getting different games running as a result.

Yep. If I sat down and played the next PoE league like I am in three weeks time, you're not going to see much talk about fucking around with settings, because... well, I'm playing that.

Most of the time, when it's a verified game, I'm pressing start game and it.. starts the game. But that shit makes for dull discussion - A lot of the discussion on here is primarily for games that don't have a tick next to it.

(Although, half of the time, you find that you load them up and they work great too)