IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

Here is my exciting steam deck thread post. 

I downloaded yakuza kiwami today. It downloaded. I clicked play. I played it. 

GG. I dont reccomended this to switch users. Too hard. 

18 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Glad to hear this - I was starting to get really put off by the chat that this sounded like a box you needed to tinker with all the time.  All I want to do is play some PC games handheld with the option of shoving it on the telly every now and again without fannying about.

This is how I treat it and it works fine for that purpose. My tinkering basically boils down to finding a nice controller layout from the community for a game and remembering STEAM+X and STEAM+R-stick to call up the keyboard and mouse for when it's absolutely needed.

Hell, Steam-version Retroarch is fine enough for my purposes and I don't think I'll be falling back to the desktop any time soon.

6 minutes ago, Uzi said:

hahahah

10 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I wouldn't recommend Yakuza Kiwami to Switch owners because it's PEGI 18.

Spoiler

I've got Shin Megami Tensei V in my switch, calm down lads

Gutted FFXIV doesn’t work without tinkering jiggery-pokery. All that shit is beyond me as a PC gaming virgin. I’d only break the fucker. Steam Deck was supposed to be my alt job-levelling station 😞 

My most played game on it has been Space Channel 5: Part 2, in Japanese at that since I have no fucking clue how to change the config.

4 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

I thought I’d seen videos of all of those playing well, are you sure it’s just not small text or something that’s the reason they aren’t verified?

51E18C57-1A40-4967-9F40-090B3C0F666A.jpeg

13 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

51E18C57-1A40-4967-9F40-090B3C0F666A.jpeg

Thats FH5. I want to tear fuck out of Britain :quote:

It says in the steam store that Shen1/2 are incompatible. Does it require jiggery pokery, a la trying to get FFXIV running on it?

There are a ton of reasons a gamed won't have a green check mark. Most orange (!) will work and even some red (x) games. The (?) Unknown are always worth a try. 

ProtonDB is a good source for checking... 

https://www.protondb.com/app/1293830 (FH4 - Silver)

https://www.protondb.com/app/758330 (Shenmue I + II - Gold)

https://www.protondb.com/app/39210 (FFXIV - Gold)

Just check the Deck reports to be double sure

I guess this sums up the issue, however minor it is for most people. How do you know? ProtonDB as a user powered source seems like the best answer. But having to read about the little things is still a thing beyond, have game, will play.

None of this makes the deck anything less than great. I'm just cautious about saying it's good for everyone. And particularly those who aren't computer savvy or really do want a true click and play experience consistently.

I am probably going a bad job here. I've yet to come across an Steam game over installed that isn't just click and play. Outside of unsupported titles.

My only messing had been with emulated games and Blur. Which I don't own in Steam.

26 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I am probably going a bad job here. I've yet to come across an Steam game over installed that isn't just click and play. Outside of unsupported titles.

My only messing had been with emulated games and Blur. Which I don't own in Steam.

Same, I have installed a ton of games that aren’t verified for Steam Deck, and not one so far hasn’t been a matter of just pressing play and it working.

I tell a lie FF7 I had to change the controller layout to get past the opening screen but that took literally 10 seconds 

I realise I sound like I'm trying to say it's bad or not a great experience. I'm sure it's great. If I could just buy one I would immediately. But then I love to fiddle so I'd likely do more of that than play anyway.

I think it's a fair assessment. With unsupported games, if it doesn't work immediately or you're worried about bothering, you have three options:

- Wait an indefinite period of time until it is playable to what the guide suggests,

- Look into the problem for that game and see if it's something you can follow and fix, or

- Install Windows, which in turn also runs the risk of not working as intended.

Out of the three, if it's a game I truely think is worth playing, I'd pick the second option without question. Heck, I did it for PSO already.

Other times, it's not - I decided to have a punt on playing Aviary Attorney on the deck. As it turns out, you legitimately cannot play it - it uses a microsoft-based WebKit somewhere and it doesn't load right in SteamOS. So I'll leave it until it does work.

Well, it's either that or pirate the switch version, obv:coffee:

Edit: further to the conversation, I downloaded three games that are listed as Unsupported - Fighting Layer EX, BPM: Bullets per Minute and Hotshot Racing.

I couldn't tell you what's unsupported, as they all load up and play. Maybe it's the ending cutscenes, maybe it's connecting to an online lobby. Hell, maybe it's changed depending on how Proton is coming along.

I think there needs to be nuance to the Unsupported statement outside of the binary 'We're working on this' and 'Anticheat had fucked it' commentary. But I guess that in itself doesn't help the 'I want to play shit like it's a SNES' crowd, and there's more resources for the technical types.

I've played so much NMS this last week. On the sofa, on a bus, in a traffic jam, in a hospital waiting room and coffee shop. This thing continued astound me. 

Also something i noticed for the first time. I popped Teardown on for the first time and it gave me a warning want small text and a reminder of what the magnifying combo press is. Nice UX design that 

I normally don't have the space for another controller, as I'm usually sat in the driver's seat waiting for hospital/GP appointments for family :P Was a very good way to spend time, though - I was able to fit a whole stage of Vampire Survivors in while sat in a car park.

Does the suspend feature work alright in NMS? I've been playing the Outlaws update/expedition, but I'm always hitting a restore point and quitting the game out of habit. It's still quick enough to get into a game, but it'd be handy if I need to turn it off if dinner's burning.

Don’t want to massively derail the thread with this but is NMS still worth starting in 2022, the idea of it is right up my street but the absolute enormity of it has stopped me from ever giving it a go. Steam Deck would be perfect for me to finally purchase

Loving the Steam Deck, but why is the Steam store such a shambles when it comes to purchasing?

Trying to purchase via Steam Deck is a frustrating experience - having to fumble around on an in accurate keyboard to input my PayPal details only to be given an error about ‘something went wrong’. 

Tried the same thing on iPhone and the Steam app crashes out on purchase. 

Finally, I had to fire up a PC just to complete my purchase. 

It’s like they don’t want my £3.99 for Mashed! 

29 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Don’t want to massively derail the thread with this but is NMS still worth starting in 2022, the idea of it is right up my street but the absolute enormity of it has stopped me from ever giving it a go. Steam Deck would be perfect for me to finally purchase

I'm in two minds over it, honestly. On one hand, it has a shitload of content that means you can be playing for hours at a time with set goals depending on how you want to play it.

OTOH, I actually enjoyed vanilla No Man's Sky when it was just a very shallow space game where I collect rocks and blow up animals that look like they just came out of Spore.

But overall, I can still be an intergalactic repo-man, so top marks from me. Consider the evolution of the game the same as Minecraft (as in, it's all optional and ready when you are), and you'll probably enjoy it.

@bignige - Yeah, I've already aired greviances about picking up demos from the store, they do need to have a pass on getting the mobile store right. Haven't had a problem with buying anything, though -although my last purchase was through the Android app, not the Deck directly.

49 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Yep and perfect on deck

41 minutes ago, bignige said:

Loving the Steam Deck, but why is the Steam store such a shambles when it comes to purchasing?

Trying to purchase via Steam Deck is a frustrating experience - having to fumble around on an in accurate keyboard to input my PayPal details only to be given an error about ‘something went wrong’. 

Tried the same thing on iPhone and the Steam app crashes out on purchase. 

Finally, I had to fire up a PC just to complete my purchase. 

It’s like they don’t want my £3.99 for Mashed! 

I thought it was just me, tried about 20 different ways yesterday to purchase a game, via Phone, the App, PayPal didn’t work, through the console itself, nothing would work. I ended up buying the game for less money from CDKeys 

If it helps, I had no problem just now buying a game through the Android app via PayPal.

And I definitely didn't use it as an excuse to buy Lumines Remastered that's currently on sale for a princely £3.99.