IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

The 40Hz support feels, again, like Valve taking something that was previously the preserve of hobbyists and making it much more accessible. Makes me wonder if we will see a similar feature on Nintendo's eventual Switch follow up. Would be wierd having some games potentially running better in portable vs docked mode though, if the TV doesn't support 120Hz. Surely worth it anyway though, for the improvements in responsiveness or battery life.

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

Oh god, I think I am going to need to invest in a 1tb MicroSD at some point. 

This.

I was all like, nah mate, 256Gb is plenty enough.

But nope. It definitely is not. There’s so much I want on this damn sexy thing.

I'm doing okay for storage at the moment, but it's because I've been keeping to smaller installs (like, 25GB max).

More taxing games are starting to call to me, though. Maybe I'll finally get around to Wolfenstein: The New Order on this thing, but I also keep thinking I should push through on Borderlands: TPS after giving it a go and my saved characters have come across with 20 hours on the docket already. I mean, it can't be that far from clocking it, right? :unsure: At least I've gone through Superliminal and The Beginner's Guide is very short, apparently, so I can start purging things from the SD card.

Oh, and there was another update overnight. Mostly inconspicuous stuff like new notifications and the like, but on beta branch they've made the refresh rate switch even faster (again, it's like half a second already, what the fuck), but more importantly they've added a delay to the switch so you don't get the flickering effect I was moaning about.

Found a game that feels bad in 40hz - Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel just feels slow and rubbish compared to the full 60hz/fps experience. Which is weird, because Quake 1 didn't feel 'bad' at all, and that's definitely more of a twitch shooter than BL:TPS.

On the bright (?) side, I remembered why I dropped that game originally, it's just awkward and shit to play in the first place :lol:

I guess I'll go back to Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion, which is cracking little game for something I got in a humble bundle (if you have Game Pass, give it a go. Or, er, pick it up from CDKeys for under £2)

EDIT: Wolfenstein: The New Order is similarly grumpy, although it's because it's constantly spiking frames. I guess it's something to do with pacing in the engine itself.

OTOH, it runs at 60fps on Medium settings, native resolution without skipping a beat, and somehow only sips 10 watts while doing it, so I don't think it's very necessary to lower the refresh rate. I don't think I want to hammer the X button for five straight hours to pick up ammo, though. Hopefully there's a mod for that :lol:

32 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Found a couple of games that have native versions in Linux play better with Proton, such as Shatter

That was going to be the case with The Beginner's Guide as well (because it rendered the flavour text in the chapters), until it shat the bed and kept crashing at the epilogue. Turned out Proton Experimental solved both issues!

Oh, and apparently Borderlands native Linux ports have not aged well at all, with frame stability all over the shop - definitely force Proton for those, and do it as you download so it downloads the right version of the game.

I did read that games ported by Feral Interactive are still regarded as decent (so the Tomb Raider and Total War games), but they've all but ceased porting for Linux due to Proton eating their lunch :unsure: Unfortunate, but understandable - although the MacOS scene will likely go the same way with ARM to X86 translation like CrossOver going from strength to strength (which, in turn, is based on WINE like Proton - although Proton is more a compilation of WINE and a bunch of other projects)

1 hour ago, MattKB said:

Has anyone tried/got Tarkov working on it yet?

Technically, yes. But my understanding is that Tarkov is pretty unoptimised on most hardware which means it's going to suffer on something like the Deck, and BSG/Battleye is still working on the Anti-cheat so you'd be stuck with offline raids.

It's simply not worth it until Tarkov is in a better state.

Same question as above but for Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection - seems to get stick in an infinite installing loop. Anyone managed to get that up and running or have a suggestion when games don't work please?

2 hours ago, smithstock said:

Same question as above but for Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection - seems to get stick in an infinite installing loop. Anyone managed to get that up and running or have a suggestion when games don't work please?

If it's on Steam, I suggest looking at ProtonDB to see if anything is up, as it would have a registered entry somewhere:

https://www.protondb.com/app/205350

Alternatively, you can look at PCGW: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_Arcade_Kollection

Both suggests that it's ye olde Games For Windows Live that's actively fucking it up. You'll have to grab a file and stick it in the game's directory. I recommended doing this in desktop mode, because you can use the included web browser to get the file, then open up the game's directory via desktop Steam (right click the game, properties, should be a button to press there to access it directly).

EDIT: if it helps, I can verify that the method involving deleting the GFWL installer and using the replacement DLL works - I downloaded it, did the work and played for about five minutes, in the space of ten minutes!

There's also a 'browse local files' in the right click menu itself, BTW. saves a click.

13 minutes ago, jonamok said:

So, anyone noticed any appreciable differences between playing off the SSD vs an SD card?

Playing... No

Downloading... Yep, faster to SSD

I did read that patches take an age on the SD card, as well.

I'm certain there is a difference between SD card and SSD for games - how much is too much will depend on the game and your own tolerance for loading, however. And, well, if you're actually that bothered to move something between the two storage options to test it out.

I know No Man's Sky has a second of loading when you leave orbit on the SD card compared to SSD, but I don't care about it as much as, say, Path of Exile, because there's going to be times I'm going to be playing that a lot more and going through a lot more load sequences in a single session.

That, and a lot of the games I've been playing need fuck-all loading, anyway - or at least, come from a time when all people just had mechanical hard drives.

16 hours ago, Siri said:

If it's on Steam, I suggest looking at ProtonDB to see if anything is up, as it would have a registered entry somewhere:

https://www.protondb.com/app/205350

Alternatively, you can look at PCGW: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_Arcade_Kollection

Both suggests that it's ye olde Games For Windows Live that's actively fucking it up. You'll have to grab a file and stick it in the game's directory. I recommended doing this in desktop mode, because you can use the included web browser to get the file, then open up the game's directory via desktop Steam (right click the game, properties, should be a button to press there to access it directly).

EDIT: if it helps, I can verify that the method involving deleting the GFWL installer and using the replacement DLL works - I downloaded it, did the work and played for about five minutes, in the space of ten minutes!

There's also a 'browse local files' in the right click menu itself, BTW. saves a click.

Nice cheers for looking - what happens if I have a similar issue with other games? Do all of them need the same file, or is there a global folder where all of them point too?

1 minute ago, smithstock said:

Nice cheers for looking - what happens if I have a similar issue with other games? Do all of them need the same file, or is there a global folder where all of them point too?

I don't quite follow, sorry - It really depends on the game and how they implemented the DRM, which is why it's best to review ProtonDB or PCGamingWiki so you can see if there's any solution for out of date software or if you have to do anything specific.

But generally, if it is down to GFWL, the DLL fix will probably work. You will need to do it per game, that's how the file overrides the game looking for a universally installed solution (which doesn't work/exist, even on Windows).

Mortal Kombat Kollection was actually removed from purchase in 2015 because functionality for the game stopped working in the previous year.

Games For Windows Live bollocksed up a whole generation of PC games, and some publishers would rather pull the games from the store instead of making them work right, unfortunately. (Or worse, still selling them without fixing it, although the biggest offenders like Fallout 3/New Vegas was sorted a while back)

Really loving the deck right now. I'll admit the first few weeks were just downloading and trying out a tonne of games for the novelty of it but I've played about six hours or yakuza kiwami on it and it's been running like a dream. No different to playing the game like it would on say the PS4 except at 60fps and smooth as butter. No had a single crash, glitch, UI issue nuffin. Obviously not every game will be that smooth or problem free but i can't believe how console like this is. No laptop or pc I own has a single button to turn sleep on and hitting that same button again puts you instantly back in the game. It makes pc gaming as pick up and play as a switch for some games which is nuts. 

Yeah, I've just made a start on Daemon X Machina, which is only listed as 'playable'.

Quite literally, the only thing I've had to do is use the button combo to use the keyboard a single time for my character's name.

In return, I get a version of DXM that defaulted to maximum settings, native 16:10 that's pin-sharp on a portable screen and runs at double the framerate of the other handheld version for a good four hours or so. And, uh, it doesn't require the branded split pad it had to be comfy to play, either.

I don't use the sleep/resume function out of habit, but even without that, it's still a device where I can just... Turn it on, and start a game.

There's been so many times I've wanted a PC that just does that and lets me use a controller to navigate straight away, and you never got that opportunity with Windows out of the box - it always featured extra setup bullshit, extra startup instructions and scripts to get controllers or user interfaces going, having to jump hoop after hoop to get an acceptable level of comfort from all the games launchers and UAC dialogues under the sun. And half of the time, something gets in the way that pisses me off enough to just not bother.

Even with all the bullshit I post, It really is an experience that only gets as complicated as I care to delve into it. And I care to get into it, because it has already shown me the holy grail of what I wanted from my comfort PC game sessions for a long, long time.

@Sirihas it been worked out if it is best to shut down? Or just let it sleep?

Here have been my use cases from ost to least used

1. Native verified Steam Deck Game (Click and play)

2. 'Playable' Styeam Deck Game (Click and play, with the odd bit of configutation)

3. Xbox Cloud Gaming (Now click and go, but initial setup following official MS guide)

3. Unknown Steam Deck games (Usually click and go, but has a more configuration to sort)

4. Emulated games (Install a package, which is super simple, add games, run the auto config thing... click and play)

5. Remote Play from PC (the odd game that is slow enough to not worry about lag, but a bit big to have on the deck at all times such as Life is Strange)

6. Unsupported Steam Deck games (some work in the end, others not, but options are out there)

Nothing has been overly complicated and any messing I do genral;ly is out of curiosity. 

Dunno, really - I know sleep tends to drain a bit of battery to keep the memory going in low power state, but it's something incredibly negligible like 10% over 24 hours. I guess if you care about battery life to that extent or you're turning in for the evening on a low battery, you might as well shut down.

I’ve just bought Final Fantasy XV complete edition without realising it’s 105gb, my download speeds are pretty terrible so it’s currently looking at a 12 hour download,

if I leave it on the kitchen table overnight and set it so that it doesn’t switch off whilst downloading whilst plugged in so the battery doesn’t die, what are the chances of coming down tomorrow morning to find it on fire? 

Not very - when the battery hits around 80% while plugged in, it will start trickle charging as a measure to preserve battery health. At around 95-100%, it should start running straight off the mains.

What I would do, mind, is switch over to desktop mode - I don't know about the latest update, but I found that desktop mode has more shit you can do about the power mode in the settings, including keeping the deck on while plugged in while turning off the screen in like 2 minutes of inactivity. I get enough image retention problems on my smartphone's IPS display that makes me not trust any screen being on a static image for a long time.

You might not have to do it if the game mode has the option to turn off the screen as well, mind. Can't remember if it does!

45 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Wait, you can't just set something downloading and then put it to sleep, and come back to it all sorted and ready to go? 

No. Valve's working on it, but it's not ready yet.