IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

Windows based? Install using WINE then add the exe as a non Steam game. In properties for the exe in Steam, force compatibility mode and use one of the proton versions, either experimental it GE will be your best bet. 

@Siriis there a good guide anywhere?

I know nowt about wine, so definitely need a good sommelier. That's some Fraser level shit, right there. 

So far I've installed Proton experimental and changed the compatibility of the demo to a few variants, but it's not playing ball. 

I can't check videos at the minute while at work, but I can go over what I did for Space Funeral and Dong Dong Never Die to give a general idea.

I'm making it a spoiler though, as when it's written down it's unnecessarily long-winded, and boils down to 'go into desktop mode, download whatever the fuck it is and add it to Steam, and then force Proton to see if it works'. I'll find a suitable video that explains it better, it's like two minutes of fucking around.

Spoiler

- Switch to desktop mode via the power menu when you press the Steam button.

- when that's loaded, open up Firefox, go to where you want to download and.. well, download it. It'll be in your downloads folder in your main drive when it's done unless you tell it otherwise.

- Open the file browser (should be on the task bar), and use the left hand side of the window to access your downloads.

- As it's likely a zip file, when you click on it Ark will load up, which is similar to WinZip. You can then extract it wherever you like (for the SD card, it's something like run/mnt/ufcjffjddhfu or some shit, if you can't navigate to removable drives directly via Ark. I think you can, though).

- when that's done, close the window and open up Steam while you're in desktop mode (it's in your task bar, needs to be for the controller to work)

- click on the bottom of the window to add a game, and select 'non-steam game'.

- browse your files to where you extracted the exe. Then, select the file type drop-down to 'all'. Basically, the default option doesn't see anything except for specific Linux files, so we're ignoring that. Select the exe, click OK and then apply the already ticked/added program to Steam.

- At this point, you can set up artwork, but let's test it first. Find the game in the steam library, right-click (left trackpad by default), select properties. In properties, go to Compatibility, click the check box to force Proton, and select the version of Proton that you'd like (just try the most recent stable for now, as it's installed on your deck anyway), and then OK/Apply.

- From that point you just.. attempt to run the game. If it works, great! You can change the art now if you want (either manually or via Steam Rom Manager - I haven't done the latter, but I'm working on it!), or you can hop back into SteamOS mode. Your game will be waiting for you in the 'non-steam' section, and can be set as a favourite and can have controls configured.

Sounds like your mostly there though, @Treble. If it's not playing ball, I would suggest downloading ProtonUp that's in the Discover store while in desktop mode. That will let you get a hold of a different version of Proton that has bits bolted on it to support certain licensed codecs and software (known as ProtonGE).

2 minutes ago, Siri said:

I can't check videos at the minute while at work, but I can go over what I did for Space Funeral and Dong Dong Never Die to give a general idea.

I'm making it a spoiler though, as when it's written down it's unnecessarily long-winded, and boils down to 'go into desktop mode, download whatever the fuck it is and add it to Steam, and then force Proton to see if it works'. I'll find a suitable video that explains it better, it's like two minutes of fucking around.

Reveal hidden contents

- Switch to desktop mode via the power menu when you press the Steam button.

- when that's loaded, open up Firefox, go to where you want to download and.. well, download it. It'll be in your downloads folder in your main drive when it's done unless you tell it otherwise.

- Open the file browser (should be on the task bar), and use the left hand side of the window to access your downloads.

- As it's likely a zip file, when you click on it Ark will load up, which is similar to WinZip. You can then extract it wherever you like (for the SD card, it's something like run/mnt/ufcjffjddhfu or some shit, if you can't navigate to removable drives directly via Ark. I think you can, though).

- when that's done, close the window and open up Steam while you're in desktop mode (it's in your task bar, needs to be for the controller to work)

- click on the bottom of the window to add a game, and select 'non-steam game'.

- browse your files to where you extracted the exe. Then, select the file type drop-down to 'all'. Basically, the default option doesn't see anything except for specific Linux files, so we're ignoring that. Select the exe, click OK and then apply the already ticked/added program to Steam.

- At this point, you can set up artwork, but let's test it first. Find the game in the steam library, right-click (left trackpad by default), select properties. In properties, go to Compatibility, click the check box to force Proton, and select the version of Proton that you'd like (just try the most recent stable for now, as it's installed on your deck anyway), and then OK/Apply.

- From that point you just.. attempt to run the game. If it works, great! You can change the art now if you want (either manually or via Steam Rom Manager - I haven't done the latter, but I'm working on it!), or you can hop back into SteamOS mode. Your game will be waiting for you in the 'non-steam' section, and can be set as a favourite and can have controls configured.

Sounds like your mostly there though, @Treble. If it's not playing ball, I would suggest downloading ProtonUp that's in the Discover store while in desktop mode. That will let you get a hold of a different version of Proton that has bits bolted on it to support certain licensed codecs and software (known as ProtonGE).

Thanks Siri, but I have done those things. When saying Proton Experimental I should have said it's ProtonGE I grabbed and installed :)

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

Have you got ProtonUp-qt yet?

Pretty sure I was having problems getting that working, but I'll look again. 

To be blunt, so is the refund policy on new games.

Doesn't work? Just notify the publisher to fuck off by actively getting your purchase revoked and spend it on decent games that do!

Although, honestly, Proton does a stellar job for the most part. I'm still shocked that people on YouTube were playing Ghostwire: Tokyo from Day 1. I'm looking forward to picking it up on a Sale and plodding through it in the near future.

I'm loving the Deck. American Truck Simulator works lovely, though it took me a bit to work out what the controls were set too! It crashes if you try and stream radio stations but I think that's a bug in Windows too right now. Weirdly that works on Euro Truck Sim 2, so likely will get patched.

Desk Job was brilliant fun, definitely worth a play through as a freebie. It's short but sweet and does a little world building in the process.

I'm most amazed so far at Sonic Transformed. The launcher was always slightly wonky even on Windows and yet works fine. You can run it at full detail at 60fps pretty flawlessly and even the Touchscreen support we did for Intel Ultrabooks works. Given this is running on a handheld PC using an operating system it was never designed to run on, it's extra-ordinary. Doesn't even hammer the battery that hard either!

Looking forward to trying a bunch of other stuff I've downloaded, but yeah, I can see this getting some serious use. If it runs Warframe nice, I might retire my Switch for Nintendo only games :)

I love that even if there are games the Deck can't run properly, there is always the Cloud option. It's how I am playing FH5

Jesus, my internal 64gb is being murdered by shadercache and compatdata. Having to do the move and link trick for now. Really do need to think about expanding storage soon 

On 11/04/2022 at 22:40, disperse and recoagulate said:

Email thanking me for the order was Fri, Jul 16, 2021, 6:22 PM and the body of the email says date issued 16 Jul, 2021 @ 6:19pm BST, so I guess I was a bit slow.

Forgot the deposit was only £4. :lol:

Still no email.

Think I’ve decided against getting one now anyway though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Is it safe to delete the content in the shadercache and compatdata folders? It is taking up 45gb and swamping my 64gb internal. I moved to the microsd and linked back, but I want to look at getting a 1tb card but will need to move both folders back to the internal, but they are too big to do so. So only way is to either delete everything inside or do a complete factory reset.

If you have the gear, you could format the new card, plug in a usb hub or card reader into the USB-C, plug in the old card and move the compatdata over that way.

Although TBH, for most Steam games, deleting the folder is fine. The only thing you need to be careful is if you've installed anything via Steam (as in, you ran an installer for a non-steam game through Steam). When you do that, most of the files that it recognises as the install folder is in the compatdata folder as well, so you're effectively nuking the non-steam game.

Otherwise, go nuts. It'll just redownload anyway, bloody shader updates:coffee:

In other news: still playing the heck out of PoE to prepare for Friday, to the surprise of nobody. But we did get someone to clear the patio, so I did some practice for it while in the wonderful weekend sunshine.

Which is, well, weird. I'm used to not getting any sunlight during PoE league start weekends :unsure: But it's welcome for my overall wellbeing!

Good to know. Only one I'd have issues with is Xbox Cloud Gaming and Blur, both of which are easy enough to add again. 

Not got anything yet, waiting for a taker for my Switch first. 

Can you run a HDD via a hub? Thinking for a couple of massive games that I'll only play in the sofa.

I believe you can, yeah. Just need to make sure the hub supports PD passthrough so it pumps juice to the deck and the hub (and subsequently the hard drive) correctly.

Just look for a hub that's been tested to work right with the deck - you'll want to do it anyway because of the bug issues in earlier firmware scaring the shit out of people, but at least because of that there should be a few guides floating around.

1 minute ago, Siri said:

I believe you can, yeah. Just need to make sure the hub supports PD passthrough so it pumps juice to the deck and the hub (and subsequently the hard drive) correctly.

Just look for a hub that's been tested to work right with the deck - you'll want to do it anyway because of the bug issues in earlier firmware scaring the shit out of people, but at least because of that there should be a few guides floating around.

Yeah I've got a working hub already so am good there. :)

Mostly play it. As has been discussed many times. 

Ok deck users please continually update this thread with your play history. 

Brad - Wednesday 

Vampire Survivors - 2 hours 

NDA Game - 4 hours

20 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I hope someone makes a guide or something to best settings for each game. 

At this point, it's just a matter of time before either Valve or a third party makes a function to share community profiles like the controller profiles. Might as well wait for that to come out of the ether.

And, yeah, I'm not posting about the last ten hours of starting new characters on Path of Exile and subsequently deleting them to practice my league starting process for the weekend, cheers. I'll leave that for the Path of Exile thread when someone else actually plays the game, it's already in Dear Diary territory ;)

I have been playing Ghostwire Tokyo on Tuesday and during lunchtimes, though. Runs as rough as a badger's arse compared to all the other games I've played, but the fact it's even running at mostly 30fps is a feat for something that fits in half of my work backpack. And the collectathon style of gameplay works when you just want to dip in and out of it.