IGNORED

Lost Ark - Even the queues have queues

Flub

This is on my radar. It appears to be Black Desert style combat and art design rammed into a rather nice isometric engine. Out in the East for a while now it's been heralded by a lot of people disolusioned with Black Desert as a better game. It certainly does look like it might be one to watch

Bonus points for lots of damage numbers.

• 3 months later...

There is currently a closed beta taking place, and buying any of the Founder's packs on Steam will get you into it. Cheapest one is £13.20, and as I am STILL looking for my new MMO fix I decided to jump in. There's a ton of freebie stuff in my account, some chests that I have yet to open, that I don't know if they were part of the Founder's pack or just a login reward. (I have 100 of some currency that I haven't seen a use for in the game itself yet, presumably that's what my outlay gave me.)

Initial impressions are that it is VERY fun! Fears of long waits to play were unfounded, I was able to create a character and start out on either of the Central European servers. I wasn't able to pick a different region without restarting, and so didn't try that out. Obviously, early doors like this, I didn't need to. So far I've done everything solo, but have also seen people wandering around who are clearly grouped together. And, you sometimes get into a "Sudden event", which is usually "Kill X [mob]", that has all players in the area get given it at the same time. I don't know if these scale, I have been alone and with 1 other person nearby when they popped up.

It's the combat that I'm enjoying the most. Gameplay is like Diablo, but with a much friendlier inventory system. Mobs tend to the swarmy side, but every class seems to be able to deal with crowds equally. An interesting idea is that there are male and female versions of 2 of the classes, but Warrior is male only whereas Mage and Assassin are female only. I'm not sure if I like this, but I made my decision of class based on the one that had fewest on the server anyway, so went with the male Martial Artist. And so far, I've kicked every ass I've seen!

You have an account level as well as a combat level, and each has different requirements to increase them. After about 3 hours, I've gained 2 levels, I think. Definitely not flying through in that annoying way that can happen, when you just have too much to focus on. There are hundreds of things all over the world to find, such as 888 Mokoko seeds. No idea what finding them all does, because I'll be honest ... I just wanted to hit stuff. The story is Korean MMO staple - bad stuff happens, go fix it by fighting things.

Will this be the MMO that I finally stick with beyond a couple of days? Probably not. But, I'll definitely play some more of it, I have enjoyed what I've done so far much more than I did New World.

FYI, if you're also looking to play in the Closed Beta, Twitch Drops exist. Just watch any approved schmuck that has the drops enabled tag for half an hour and you'll get a key.

I'm downloading it now - I've been keen to give it a go since it first was announced as it had a lot of comparisons to Diablo 3 / Path of Exile at the time, and hopefully the Partial Controller Support is slick enough to make it fun on the Steam Deck because Grinding Gear Games can't be arsed adding the controller support from their own console ports into the PC version of PoE.

Stupid question, but do I have to be signed-in to Twitch to get the key? Because I don't use it so have no idea what my login details are - and I tried the 'lost password' option 3 times after the data breach and still never a link sent to me.

33 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Stupid question, but do I have to be signed-in to Twitch to get the key? Because I don't use it so have no idea what my login details are - and I tried the 'lost password' option 3 times after the data breach and still never a link sent to me.

Yeah, you claim it through the account via the Prime rewards page on Twitch, as well as accruing the half hour as Strafe says.

I had a go of it Friday night, and I wasn't a massive fan. Mostly because the controller mapping is absolutely god awful (left stick click to cycle through dialogue? really?) and it seriously just wants to stay on one monitor to the point where just moving it via Borderless Window just stops any input from being accepted, including KBM.

So not a great first impression, and I don't think I'll be going ahead with any early access. It is very pretty, however, and I'd still imagine it will play halfway well on one of those PC handhelds and you have the touchscreen for any inventory/dialogue related agency. Steam Deck would have to resolve EAC first, mind.

I tried this quickly the other night but didn't have the paitence to play a partly leveled character with no real tutorials. Seems interesting enough from watching Twitch streams. Like a less chaotic Diablo.

If they do a later beta that lets you start from level 1 I'll be all over it.

• 2 months later...

I'm not pinning my hopes on it working well this week. Headstarts are increasingly used to "final beta" and break more often than not and launch day on Friday is going to see the servers melt with the heat of a thousand suns. There's no way they're prepared for the amount of players they're going to get (If that's even possible. There's always some bottleneck)

Got onto Zinnervale made a few characters then for some reason hit back, now 16,397 in the queue.

At least I managed to get my main name and a few others so happy with that.