Kids programs that adults should watch

MarkN

A thread for kids shows that are actually worth watching even if you don't have kids.

Hey Duggee is a given, and probably well known. It's charming and wonderful. I'm nearly 50 - it is still ace, and makes me happier when I watch it.

"Bluey" is the latest. Oh by gosh! this is good. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, but thought it should have a thread. The "Horsey Ride" episode had me creased up. It's so lovely. (I'm *this* close to buying a Bingo plushie).

IPlayer link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000vkvb/bluey-series-1-8-horsey-ride

Other recommendations appreciated. This is often joyful inclusive stuff and the more of that I can get the better, right now.

Peppa Pig. Watching the signs that Daddy Pig and Miss Rabbit are clearly having an affair while Mummy Pig is constantly one step from full breakdown is excellent TV.

And the fairground episode where Mummy Pig wants a go on a stall and the stallholder says "Women are useless at this sort of thing. It's a game of skill!"

Other than that, Class Dismissed is hilarious.

It’s too loud and manic to watch too much of, but I’ve quite enjoyed watching Teen Titans Go with my son. It’s like South Park for primary school children, and is obviously made with a fair degree of care.

I watched a couple of episodes with him the other day, and the first one revolved around pyramid schemes, and the second one was focused on buy-to-let mortgages. 

11 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Peppa Pig is awful for kids never mind adults. 

There are a few genuinely funny bits in Peppa Pig - the whistling episode has a proper laugh out loud moment. But yes, Peppa is generally horrible, and I rejoiced when my kids decided they didn’t want to watch it anymore.

Ben and Holly’s Little Kingdom is really good though, by the same bunch I think.

1 hour ago, Gringo said:

The Amazing World of Gumball is great. Have seen others mention it before.

YES.

Some of it written by a rllmuker too!

Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom is great and genuinly funny at times. I also love how everytime the elves says "we're Elves" they toot a horn.

@Jammyare you talking about the bit where Peppa just hangs up on Suzie? That cracks me up. But in general, Peppa is a horrible spoilt brat.

10 minutes ago, Jammy said:

the whistling episode has a proper laugh out loud moment

Peppa proper ghosts that bitch.

11 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom is great and genuinly funny at times. I also love how everytime the elves says "we're Elves" they toot a horn.

@Jammyare you talking about the bit where Peppa just hangs up on Suzie? That cracks me up. But in general, Peppa is a horrible spoilt brat.

Yep, that’s the bit :)

A disadvantage of having two kids 11 years apart - we thought we’d left Peppa long behind and then had to do it all again years later. Fortunately the older one got into Adventure Time. The younger one just wants to watch youtube now, and never really got into any TV shows after giving up on Peppa and Ben & Holly.

Bluey is really good, and I've laughed a few times at Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom.

I tell you what is very funny (and surprisingly so) is Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse. Some really good jokes, very knowing and they even reference a fair few movies. The robotic closet was quoting 2001, the young girl was playing at being The Godfather and there was even a staff of ra/well of the souls scene while Barbie tried to get into a hidden wardrobe. 

I've seen a few episodes of the sketch show, I'm Sorry I Haven't Got a Head, which has some great characters. The Slammer was pretty good too, from a few years back.

1 hour ago, Gringo said:

Who is it or are they too modest to brag about their excellent work?

James Hamilton. I don't think he posts here any more though.

Other things my daughter has watched that I've enjoyed:

Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts

Guardians of the Galaxy (animated series)

Marvel Rising

Ninjago

Trollhunters (and 3Below - not seen Wizards or the new one yet)

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Teen Titans Go!

Teen Titans Go is legitimately laugh out loud funny. The episode where they try to out do each other with April Fool pranks has me laughing like an idiot, the look on Robin's Face when

Spoiler

His parents weren't alive and in the room next door 

4 hours ago, Goose said:

Bluey is really good, and I've laughed a few times at Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom.

I tell you what is very funny (and surprisingly so) is Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse. Some really good jokes, very knowing and they even reference a fair few movies. The robotic closet was quoting 2001, the young girl was playing at being The Godfather and there was even a staff of ra/well of the souls scene while Barbie tried to get into a hidden wardrobe. 

I've seen a few episodes of the sketch show, I'm Sorry I Haven't Got a Head, which has some great characters. The Slammer was pretty good too, from a few years back.

Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse (not to be confused with Barbie: Dreamhouse Adventures) has no right to be as good as it is.

Whenever I’m on playground duty there’s a kid who comes along and tells me facts. Today he told me that Daddy Pig is 14 feet tall and Peppa is about half that. 

Unfortunately he was unable to provide me with Miss Piggy’s height. 

8 hours ago, Gringo said:

The Amazing World of Gumball is great. Have seen others mention it before.

Love this, watching through them all with the youngest. 

Star Wars - the clone wars and the bad batch are well worth a watch. Clone was has eleventy ten episodes so some are a bit duff bit when it’s good it’s some of the best Star Wars out there. Dave filoni is a brilliant man. 

Amazing World of Gumball. The imaginary car chase in one of the early series is possibly the funniest thing I have ever seen.

No, the chase was real. It's the cars that were imaginary. And the episode where the dad gets a job delivering pizza, thereby threatening the balance of the universe has one of the darkest, yet still hilarious scenes I've seen in a kid's animation.

gumball_pizza.jpg.7fccc769cce1ad8667e745eec0b074e9.jpg

Yes, immediately after that. The look of horror on their faces haunts me...

Teen Titans Go is also a favourite. Too many epic giggles to recall. Maybe the Shia La Boofs scene from the movie is still my favourite.

If you can find it, Strange Hill High was a good CBBC show - part puppet/model, part stop motion, part animated