Activision-Blizzard riddled with sex creeps

Harsin

1 hour ago, David Kenny said:

I've always worked for large companies and have never seen anything even close to this type of behaviour. In almost all of those companies there were explicit rules about how employees were expected to treat each other, and specifically calling out sexual harassment as a dismissible, possibly criminal offence.

This is entirely about the culture created by the shit heads at the top.

I should have clarified, I didn't mean to imply that large companies are all full of overt sexual harassers. Hopefully that sort of thing is relatively rare. I said they were likely to be more dysfunctional and meant that in its broadest possible sense, be it a general climate of fear, an inability to make decisions, the capacity to waste vast sums of money on nonsensical projects and so forth. 

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

It sounds like it's more the Blizzard side of things in this case.

I've seen alot of people try to sweep this under the carpet as "it's Activision/CoD not Blizzard/Overwatch/Diablo/Wow" but really all I ever hear about the communities around those latter games is horrible toxicity and misogyny, it comes as no surprise to hear that there's a large element of that within those Devs working cultures too.

Is there no other men working alongside in similar roles in these companies that say to their colleagues "Hey fucking stop that shit or else" or is every man just a cunt/coward?

I know if i seen or heard any bullying, racism, sexism or inappropriate comments in the workplace i would call them out for being a prick and immediately say to their face that im contacting HR. 

5 minutes ago, Ry said:

Is there no other men working alongside in similar roles in these companies that say to their colleagues "Hey fucking stop that shit or else" or is every man just a cunt/coward?

I know if i seen or heard any bullying, racism, sexism or inappropriate comments in the workplace i would call them out for being a prick and immediately say to their face that im contacting HR. 

Blizzard is full of socially awkward nerds who have (mostly) spent years dreaming of working at Blizzard and are generally excited to be finally working for their dream company.

Many of these socially awkward nerds will either be closet or open misogynists too.

I don't think it's hard to imagine why they wouldn't stand up for the women affected.

It's fucking inexcusable but all too easy to imagine.

4 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Blizzard is full of socially awkward nerds who have (mostly) spent years dreaming of working at Blizzard and are generally excited to be finally working for their dream company.

Many of these socially awkward nerds will either be closet or open misogynists too.

I don't think it's hard to imagine why they wouldn't stand up for the women affected.

It's fucking inexcusable but all too easy to imagine.

Aye, thats exactly my first thought. 

16 minutes ago, Ry said:

There are other issues, if your job is usually your main income and pays your mortgage or rent, are you really going to question a superior when you can turn a blind eye? Not saying that this is correct or excuses anything , but do you really need to get involved? (here what is harmful to one employee, might be to someone else ‘harmless hazing’ the attitudes on this are slowly shifting of course)

Toxic companies are nightmare, I have seen corrupt HR people who will fabricate evidence, bug employees offices and meeting rooms, and HR at the best of time does not care about any individuals, only the company. So other reasons why they might be a “coward/cunt”

Although I suspect @Isaac is more correct. 

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

d also say that it's entirely likely that there are/were people who have spoken up, but ultimately had no effect as the business itself took no meaningful action (and/or reprimanded the complainant instead).

I don't really want to post the details publicly, but yeah, have been directly involved in a case where the company retaliated against the reporters. Not at Activision, to be clear.

10 hours ago, Alex W. said:

It is particularly grim for Blizzard given their wholesome, inclusive image. Maybe there are some downsides to being swallowed in to a multimedia conglomerate?

Blizzard who employed Mark Kern? I don't think this is a recent development somehow.

I'm curious as to why this is all coming out now. I get the impression that ActiBlizz have lots of skeletons in their closet but are incredibly powerful and litigious. I somehow doubt the very senior people are going to get dragged into it - especially considering all the already public dirt that's known about them that's had zero effect.

It's all going to make a fascinating book in ten years time anyway.

9 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

I should have clarified, I didn't mean to imply that large companies are all full of overt sexual harassers. Hopefully that sort of thing is relatively rare. I said they were likely to be more dysfunctional and meant that in its broadest possible sense, be it a general climate of fear, an inability to make decisions, the capacity to waste vast sums of money on nonsensical projects and so forth. 

I’m not even sure that’s true - you’ve got your small companies with the cult of the founder: particularly in the tech space we’ve seen a number of those which go way beyond dysfunctional.  

Fucking hell if that’s how they behave in a public forum god only knows what a vile atmosphere exists within the company walls. 

Contemptible. 

With the shite that is probably endemic to other companies are there any female led game companies?  Not necessarily female only but with senior leadership team consisting of large numbers of females. 

24 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

With the shite that is probably endemic to other companies are there any female led game companies?  Not necessarily female only but with senior leadership team consisting of large numbers of females. 

Team17 

Debbie Bestwick founded and is CEO

12 hours ago, Harsin said:

Yeesh. Just yeesh.

Well that was depressing, from the cheering when she asked the question being drowned out with booing (we are talking about a rotting undead leader here) to the panel’s complete dismissal of the point. You can see the frustration in the lady who asked the question in the end as her point is totally dismissed by the creators she presumably admired.

13 hours ago, Harsin said:

Yeesh. Just yeesh.

This is such a  poor response to a fan question and you can see how disappointed she is with their sarcastic answer, especially from Asfrabiabi or however you spell it.

The funniest thing about this is they did actually end up doing it - they changed all female characters from being overly sexualised in bikini armour to being fully covered. 

Jaina Proudmoore used to wear a midriff showing mage outfit but now wears something that covers her. 
34B95846-9ACD-43E3-967C-2A3AA76102A1.thumb.jpeg.ffba88861fe1a5eaa8035ff44eecb1aa.jpeg

And Sylvanas, the leader of the undead, used to wear bikini armour and now stomps around in full body armour. 

DC586620-D10F-4671-9D83-88D3F6816235.thumb.jpeg.cb5507e162f9367149634e831ae3ee37.jpeg

They have in the past also responded to feedback on Overwatch character Tracer following fan feedback that it overly sexualised her (original on the left, replacement on the right)

D33DE7C0-9BA5-40BE-9F9B-32C0A1747B04.thumb.png.e5ff84c7b672f13f8800b60771bc7be8.png

So publicly they’ve been shown to be very responsive to things like this whilst internally they’ve been rife with scumbags and pervs. 

Id say such a shame to see a once great company fall, but it sounds like it wasn’t all that great to begin with. 

Never said it was an improvement (I don’t think it is), but just to show they have, previously, responded to feedback about these sort of things. As you might expect, a number of the fan base were outraged at these changes thinking it was Blizzard capitulating to political correctness. 

5 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Media Molecule

I mean…fair enough. But if everyone stops buying Acti-Blizzard games, do you really think it’s going to be the multi-millionaire senior people who will suffer? Or will it be the thousands of other employees who have had to work in these conditions? Not buying their stuff won’t fix anything. They need to be taken out of the organisation completely and for new people to take over who actually do live by and espouse the values of the organisation. 

22 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I mean…fair enough. But if everyone stops buying Acti-Blizzard games, do you really think it’s going to be the multi-millionaire senior people who will suffer? Or will it be the thousands of other employees who have had to work in these conditions? Not buying their stuff won’t fix anything. They need to be taken out of the organisation completely and for new people to take over who actually do live by and espouse the values of the organisation. 

So what do you propose your average person does do? Signal boosting this stuff via social media and voting with your wallet are the only real powers consumers have.

6 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Colossal Order (the developer of Cities Skylines). Female CEO and strict no crunch policy.