Dead Space Remake: Isaac is back, in Pog form!

Fargo

Odd choice of game to remake, I'm not convinced it would have aged much at all and a remaster would make more sense. Should just make a sequel going back to the roots if they're spending new game money on it. 

Making a new game is much more expensive than a remake so more financial risk.  

you consider a new game after the remaster does really well.

If EA made new stuff they could have new franchises that people look back on as fondly as Mass Effect or Dead Space.

It's weird they just want to do them again with inevitably far less impact the second time around.

Fair points by Steph. Right now, I have little interest in a remake because EA has nothing to show for. ME Trilogy is decent enough but a very dull remaster especially compared to for example Capcom’s output.

I for one need more than just 60 fps and better lighting. Give it a full on remake with new areas, enemy types, remixed enemy placement.

A sequel to what version of Dead Space? Event Horizon, Aliens or Gears of War? EA has no clue and I like to believe they’re testing the waters with this re-make/-master.

One of the thing I think people forget about Dead Space 3 is how badly it fucked up the story/setting. Understandable, people mainly remember all the focus group bullshit it was infested with. The first game had some quite intriguing lore under the basic shoot monsters in the face main story (written by Warren Ellis, who unfortunately later turned out to be a sex creep). The second game chiselled away a lot of that interesting cosmic horror stuff and just turned the artifact into plain old monster generators, but it was still a good game. But the third devolved into nonsense about moon eggs and fighting giant SNES shoot em' up bosses in space.

7 minutes ago, Harsin said:

The first game had some quite intriguing lore under the basic shoot monsters in the arms, then legs, then face main story

Fixed that for you. 

That’s what irritated me about DS2: the Marker is a monster printer and there’s thousands of Markers! And of course the military is somehow involved.

😒

Great, that pillar of the story is now reduced to a plot device ready to be abused.

I'm surprised people are citing the first game's story as being a high point of the series - it was pretty bad, I thought. Most of it is Doctore from Spartacus screaming at you to go and fix something on the other side of the ship with you meekly and silently complying every time, and the big twist at the end is so obvious that Isaac literally does a facepalm when it's revealed. There's another twist where the marker on the planet turns out to be a man-made copy of another marker they found somewhere else. It was all pretty underwhelming.

The production design and environments told a better story than the actual plot, and DS2 excelled on that point. The bit where you go through the Unitologist church was really well executed, and managed to show a completely different flavour of creepiness than the rest of the game. Plus, there was the skin-crawlingly horrible school/nursery bit which post-parenthood I almost couldn't bring myself to finish; there was the trip to the sun-collector thing, with that weird loner's aviary; there was the hospital with its restrained, locally-anaesthetised patients with no idea what the fuck was going on; there was Isaac doing eye surgery on himself; there was the return to the Ishimura with it all done up in clean-room quarantine sheets; there was the "clever girls" bit in the cargo hold.

The first game, while a great game, was pretty one-note in comparison. The plots of both were absolute bobbins, but the environments told a fantastic story, and the second game really pushed it in terms of variety and imagination.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man playing Dead Space brings back so many memories. Don't want to get sentimental but I remember playing this when looking after mom, while looking back it was a dark time but Dead Space was just an escape I lost myself into. Always wanted to see a live action, as the first animated movie and subsequent comics showed so much potential in world building. Just loved the idea of the markers and the creature designs.

Those sound effects, though.

I suspect playing this with headphones and 3D audio will be magnificently sphincter-clenching :sherlock:

Not so hot on the breathy Twinkle Twinkle Little Star cover, though.

Don't want to be a downer on this, but I'm really not seeing the need for a remake of the first game. It still holds up very well. I watched people streaming it recently and it still looks and plays great. 

Having said that I'm never going to crap on Dead Space especially if they can reach a wider audience and retain the quality, I'd rather see a new game in the series though.

The only real change I'd make to the excellent design of the first game is to vary the objectives and locales a bit. Isaac constantly fixing things around the ship gets pretty silly, pretty fast.