IGNORED

Customised consoles - your thoughts?

JamesC

As a response to the de-yellowing thread I wondered what people's thoughts were on customised consoles? 
This seems to be the other route to take if you have a very yellowed console and wish to improve its appearance. But is it ever an improvement?

I had a very scuzzy SNES which I'd had since being a teenager. It had pretty bad yellowing and worse than that, had some horrible marks on the front where I'd tried to clean the console with nail varnish remover as a teenager(!). Plastic does not like nail varnish remover! There was really no way of repairing it so I thought I'd have a go at giving it a paint job. I knew I'd never be skillful enough to pull off a shiny box-fresh looking customisation so I decided to embrace the scuzziness, give it some heavy weathering and ended up with something that looks like Han Solo's Super Nintendo. I actually quite like it but I'd still prefer a nice clean original looking console any day. 

Even with some of the very fancy custom jobs, I'd prefer a clean original version 9 times out of 10. I like the authenticity.
The exception is handheld consoles. GBC and Gamegear customisation can be amazing - producing results which are far superior to the original products in every way.

Anyone here into the customisation scene? Would you prefer to customise over de-yellowing?

Here are a couple of pics of my effort.

DSC_0291.JPG

DSC_0289.JPG

I'm not sure how i feel about how your console looks. I think in the right setting it'd look really cool, like on the set of the Guardians of the Galaxy or something, so good job. But in a nice living room im not so sure. Time to get a grunged up CRT and some old furniture :D

As for the topic at hand i really like the Dreamcast artworks people did back and the day and now. Something about that console just suited large bits of colourful artwork.

I like them, add's some personality, though I imagine it detract's from the value.

I had a SNES done a while back in black and gold, Zelda themed, will sort out a photo later but yeah I like them though if you were to have it as part of a collection you would still want an original one too.

You see a lot of customised C64s and Spectrums on Facebook, with fancy colour cases, new keyboards, lots of LEDs and the like. Some are definitely better than others. I would prefer a well-done custom job to a failed attempt to de-yellow a machine. 

I bought a PS2 from a Cash Converters many years ago that had been painted white, but not very well, so it was a bit lumpy. It also had a window on the top where someone had cut out a big section and put perspex in, but it was a bit wonky. The pad was lumpy white too. Wish I had a picture now.

It came with HDD, Network adaptor and an HDAvance disc in case you’re wondering why I bought it.

Depends on the quality of the paint job and what kind of mod. If its simply changing the colour while maintaining the original look and shape then it can be an improvement. But the ones where people have painted character art or cut bits and pieces off just make it look really tacky.

Ive painted my N64 white and it looks so much better than the standard black, ive got to redo the controller though as the paint has started to rub off, will be using car paint this time as I heard thats the best to use for these kind of paint jobs . 

if its done nicely i see no problem with it, theres millions of cool gameboys on instagram.

I dont think i'd  trust myself to do it properly though, and i probably wouldn't even try unless i had to take the console to bits anyway. it's more likely i'd totally cock the whole thing up.

I'm not usually a fan of customising consoles but the new Dreamcast shells that have been coming out of China recently have been of excellent quality and the 3D printed parts the community have come up with have been really helpful.

I bought an absolute banger of a Dreamcast recently- grubby, completely yellowed case, knackered fan, noisy drive- and replaced the lot with a new case, Noctua fan and an ODE with a 3D printed mount for the SD card. I might try retrobriting the case with the UV immersion method to see if it can be saved too.

dc2.thumb.jpeg.25f83c715094fd4736490b1deedca501.jpeg

dc4.thumb.jpeg.4131c842a1165316627286b7ecbac0e5.jpeg