Games with little or story or tutorial. Pick up and play.

dizogg

Super Hexagon immediately sticks out in my mind. Literally two button presses to get into a game - three if you include starting the game from whatever platform you're running it on.

And it runs on a mobile phone whenever the soundtrack worms its way back into your conscience, too.

5 hours ago, dizogg said:

Trying to find something to play that you basically switch on and get right into from

the first moment. No intro cutscenes, no long tutorial portion, just straight enjoyable gameplay. 

Get a MiSTer.

Strongly disagree with people suggesting Doom Eternal. Several levels in and it's still throwing different upgrade systems at me to work out, there are entire panels in the UI I don't understand, and I know if I leave it for more than a few days I'll forget the controls and the general flow of the game. Also it keeps chucking plot at me and I don't care (luckily it can mostly be ignored).

It's a good game but it's not pick-up-and-play. Go for the original Doom or Doom 64 instead.

14 hours ago, Thor said:

Destiny 2.

You're shooting guns within minutes and it's still the best fps combat out there, because it's Bungie. And I mean proper Bungie, not that skimmed UHT milk version that calls themselves 343i.

You can ignore all the story. There are simple daily bounties and patrols you can do.

This is the funniest recommendation so far! Well done :) Trying to wrap your mind around the structure of the game, its tangled web of systems and upgrades, and where the fuck to go and what the hell to do is something that I still didn't quite get even after tagging along with a friend all through the """campaign""" part. Good combat tho

I am increasingly the same. With most triple-A stuff these days I’ve got my phone out within a couple of minutes. Some of my favourite games that just get on with it:

Streets Of Rage 4

Slay The Spire

Tetris Effect

Lonely Mountains Downhill

Celeste 

I don’t think Hades quite fits because there’s a lot of story stuff and there’s so much to unlock. After 30 hours it’s very pick up and play, sure. 

Whoever suggested Destiny 2 has to be taking the piss surely.

Streets of Rage 4 is the best modern example of this, as everyone else has already suggested.

Lonely Mountains Downhill is brilliant too.

If you have Game Pass then download Lumines too, fantastic puzzle game with a great sound track that just came onto it.

14 hours ago, Timmo said:

Would Noita run on a non-gaming laptop?

Possibly on the newest, most powerful integrated graphics but it stuggles on mine with an older discrete GPU (Nvidia K1100M).

Traditional roguelikes are perfect for this on potato PCs, especially if you have a number pad. Brogue, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Caves of Qud, Rift Wizard, Cogmind etc. Also most retro stuff via emulation of course.

Monster Train is also a great alternative to Slay the Spire, it's just as much a pick-up-and-play game but with a faster pace and more variety. I think it might be my favourite of the two.

16 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Monster Train is also a great alternative to Slay the Spire, it's just as much a pick-up-and-play game but with a faster pace and more variety. I think it might be my favourite of the two.

It's honestly turned into one of my favourite games ever. Easy to learn, but even now I'm still finding new tactics. 

On 05/08/2021 at 18:26, Timmo said:

Destiny 2 might be the most impenetrable mainstream game of the last 20 years. I don't think you can recommend it to someone looking for something easy to get into.

It's not even that quick to start, either. 

13 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

This is the funniest recommendation so far! Well done :) Trying to wrap your mind around the structure of the game, its tangled web of systems and upgrades, and where the fuck to go and what the hell to do is something that I still didn't quite get even after tagging along with a friend all through the """campaign""" part. Good combat tho

But you don't have to wrap your head around the structure of the game. You can skip all cut scenes and the character creation. And as per my video below, starting from the title screen, you are armed and shooting bad guys after 2m30s. And if shooting bad guys is all you want to do to pass the odd half-hour to an hour here and there, you can, with no fuss.

49 minutes ago, Thor said:

But you don't have to wrap your head around the structure of the game. You can skip all cut scenes and the character creation. And as per my video below, starting from the title screen, you are armed and shooting bad guys after 2m30s. And if shooting bad guys is all you want to do to pass the odd half-hour to an hour here and there, you can, with no fuss.

I think games with no story or tutorial are very different from games with a ton of story and tutorial and convoluted systems that you can skip and ignore.

Destiny is very much designed to be engaged with on a far deeper level than pick up and play.

It's a ludicrous suggestion for this criteria. 

Might as well suggest MGS2 but if you skip all the codecs and cut scenes.

ER, MGS (2 or any other) is nothing like Destiny. That's a massive false equivalence. I suppose MGS5 would come closest but that game takes a lot longer before you get to the single missions you can choose to do.

The fact remains you can turn the game on, and be shooting withing two and half minutes. After about 30 minutes you have a game that you can switch on, do a patrol and get some XP progress or a slightly better gun, and then turn off. 

Also, the base Destiny 2 game is free to play on PS5, and the full fat version with all the expansions is free on Xbox gamepass.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

ER, MGS (2 or any other) is nothing like Destiny. That's a massive false equivalence. I suppose MGS5 would come closest but that game takes a lot longer before you get to the single missions you can choose to do.

The fact remains you can turn the game on, and be shooting withing two and half minutes. After about 30 minutes you have a game that you can switch on, do a patrol and get some XP progress or a slightly better gun, and then turn off. 

Also, the base Destiny 2 game is free to play on PS5, and the full fat version with all the expansions is free on Xbox gamepass.

You  can't just start shooting and ignore everything else. You have to at least figure out where to go and what to do, and that's very unclear in Destiny. You yourself say: you can do a patrol. Yes, but what is a patrol? How do you start it? what do you use that XP for?

"Get a better gun" dude, trying to understand which gun is better and what does what and how the equipment screen works is convoluted as shit in Destiny. It's extremely impenetrable for new players that don't want to pay attention to how everything works 

Destiny 2 is nice for having a quick game if you’ve spent sixty hours learning the game’s various systems, mechanics, consumables, upgrade mats, currencies, season artefact mods and other impenetrable jargon. And also if you make sure you’ve bought all the right expansion packs. For complete newcomers, it’s a chaotic mess. You’d need someone on hand to explain everything. 

You may as well recommend Bridge or Dwarf Fortress to someone looking for something that they can pick up and play. 

“What do I do now?”

”Well, obviously you hold down L2 to view your overall objectives from the director. Your current mission objectives can be seen from the quests screen, which you need to tab left to view. In-game objectives are viewed by holding the touchpad.”

”But what do I DO now?”

”Clearly, you need to boost your light by infusing purple/blue items. This is simply a matter of acquiring engram drops from world events, and going to your gear screen by pressing options (not the touchpad!). Examine your gear to check if any items have a higher light than your current equipped set. If so, you need to intuitively press triangle to access the gear screen, move your cursor over the gear list on the left, hover over the infuse icon, and select the item you want to infuse. This requires glimmer and upgrade modules. Upgrade modules can be purchased from Banshee-44 or rarely drop from public events and world patrols.”

[1/890]

After playing it for the first time last night, I would second the recommendations of Lonely Mountains: Downhill. The controls click almost instantly, and it’s very streamlined. 

A whole two and a half minutes before you are shooting bad guys from the title screen? That's aaaaaaaaages.

You'd have killed loads of baddies in Prodeus or Ultrakill already by then.

Oh also: Devil Daggers.

In a few minutes you'd already have fought and died multiple times.