GTA Remastered Trilogy (GTA3/San Andreas/Vice City) - ah sh*t, here we go again

SMD

14 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

I get that people have issues with the technical aspects or the price but is it actually fun? I know that's not really the point but I'd like to know.

I've played about half an hour, and it's alright I suppose. It's nice playing San Andreas with mega draw-distance and comparing it to the version in GTA V, and there's a certain nostalgic element to playing it. It just seems so primitive compared to GTA V (which is itself 8 years old). The car handling, the animation, the sparse, empty streets, the slightly embarrassing pound shop Ice Cube album skit cutscenes... it all seems pretty of its time. It has that annoying early 3D GTA thing of gating off most of the map until you get to a certain point in the story, so you can't really do much sightseeing.

I'm all for running through fondly remembered older games once in a while, but can't see me spending much time in this.

7 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Many years ago you visited a beautiful tropical beach with the prettiest woman you ever did see. You spent the day swapping your time between drinking delicious cocktails on your sun lounger and cooling off in the crystal blue waters. When the sun goes down you both go back to your luxurious beach cabin and make love all night before passing into a blissful sleep hearing the waves gently hit the shoreline.

It is 2021. Nostalgia overtaking your better senses, you contact the beautiful lady from years back and decide to revisit the beach. It’s off season and raining hard, the skies grey and the water muddy from what looks like a recent oil spill. There’s a guy pacing up and down the beach in a dirty cagoule, stabbing at used condoms with a litter picker. The lady turns up, she’s 20 stone now. You go and find the beach cabin and discover it’s a crack den. You’re hit over the head and realise you are being mugged just before you pass out.

This concludes my review of Grand Theft Auto: Sam Andreas remastered, out today.

Who's this Sam Andreas character?

I can overlook other issues like fog and what not, but the performance stuff is unacceptable.

Apparently VC and SA are not terrible (still bad for a PS2 remaster) but III is a joke. 

Playing VC tonight so will feedback. The intro was fantastic but I like the toy box feel in regards to modern lighting over low poly geo, and I don't care about secondary characters (have you seen none main NPCs in any open world game? Yikes) 

36 minutes ago, K said:

It's always nice to play older games and be reminded of a time when I wasn't […] living through a period of mass death, catastrophic climate change, and economic armageddon.

My memory’s not great but I’m pretty sure we had all those things in the 2000s.

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

I get that people have issues with the technical aspects or the price but is it actually fun? I know that's not really the point but I'd like to know.

Played a couple of hours of 3 and enjoyed just as much as I did originally. The nostalgia definitely helps.

Cruising Liberty City listening to Game Radio doesn't get old. Hearing Guru and Sean Price was bittersweet.

This seems to be an absolute farce. Watched some videos of the PS5 version and performance was all over the place, glitches the lot. I'm not even going to try San Andreas on gamepass. 

What were Rockstar thinking?

Imagine being one of the guys who were hard at work putting together the originals in unreal engine out of pure unabashed fan service and then finding out that the reason you had to stop was so that take2 could shovel out this shit show instead.

About an hour into Vice City and enjoying it thoroughly. It is absolutely retro and just fun to be daft with. 

Performance has been fine so far on PS5, but would have liked to see more Atmospherics for the occasional stutters that do occur. Make no sense. 

Still fun, but no doubt the whole thing needs to be patched big style by Rockstar. I dairnt even sniff III never mind play it. 

Like, this is the fundamental proof that microtransactions are the worst thing in the world. If they hadn't got so addicted to shark cards they would have seen this project as a fundamentally worthy thing. With no long term revenue stream - they don't give a shit (it would seem).