GTA Remastered Trilogy (GTA3/San Andreas/Vice City) - ah sh*t, here we go again

SMD

Exactly. They can easily afford to but maximizing profits goes before everyone else. They have a research chart somewhere that shows acquiring those licenses would cost more money than they would gain in extra sales by putting all the songs in, so that's that.

I admit I have never played a GTA in my life, had access to it since my brother played them all the time. Have fond memories of him playing Vice City, woudn't mind playing this if it came out on the Switch.

1 minute ago, yakumo said:

I admit I have never played a GTA in my life, had access to it since my brother played them all the time. Have fond memories of him playing Vice City, woudn't mind playing this if it came out on the Switch.

Good news - it's coming to Switch. :D

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

I guess if you've played absolutely no GTA ever there are worse places to start than Vice City (cough IV). It'll be interesting to see what modernisations they've implemented.

I watched my brother play them so didn't really have the urge to play it myself since I knew the beats of the story and where to go. But its been years now and wouldn't mind playing it regardless to at least scratch that off my list.

Who can be arsed going back to either 3 of these outside of a ROM loaded in to an emulator?

Genuine question by the way - anyone here wanting to pay again for these games? 

They were great achievements at the time but I have absolutely no interest in replaying any of these in 2021. Things have moved on so much, I can't imagine them feeling anything other than shockingly dated. They were ropey as fuck  even at the time and mainly got by on sheer ambition, atmosphere and and scale. Problem is that the scale and ambition of those games is nothing special these days.

Honestly, who is going to want to play GTA3 in particular for more than about 10 minutes?

12 hours ago, Cheyenne said:

In order to claim being anywhere near Definitive they need to maintain the radio station playlists. No exaggeration, there's absolutely no chance of a buy from me if that's been meddled with.

I still haven't forgiven them for removing the songs from the versions of the games that were bought before the licences reverted. I've never seen that happen before or since.

6 hours ago, Majora said:

They were great achievements at the time but I have absolutely no interest in replaying any of these in 2021. Things have moved on so much, I can't imagine them feeling anything other than shockingly dated. They were ropey as fuck  even at the time and mainly got by on sheer ambition, atmosphere and and scale. Problem is that the scale and ambition of those games is nothing special these days.

Honestly, who is going to want to play GTA3 in particular for more than about 10 minutes?

GTA 3 and Vice City are still absolutely amazing. I completed both on the iPad, of all things, about a year ago. Had a great time with both. 

Very much down for this. 

21 minutes ago, ChristopherBloodAxe said:

San Andreas, properly modernised, could be better than GTA 5. Probably won't be though 

If it were a proper remake, as in Bluepoint style, it would easily surpass 5. San Andreas was the last proper sandbox GTA before they started sacrificing freedom and emergent fun at the alter of superficial cinematic pretentions. Scripting the fuck out everything and restricting the player at every opportunity.

But this is just a remaster, so while it could be a decent port and polish job, it will probably always look and feel like a PS2 game no matter how good it is.

14 hours ago, yakumo said:

If you've never played any before, I'd suggest that you are better off going with GTA V. The entire 3D series has been mechanically woeful since inception, but at least the most recent one is finally semi-competent. The actual content appeal of each major entry depends on personal taste.

21 hours ago, Cheyenne said:

In order to claim being anywhere near Definitive they need to maintain the radio station playlists. No exaggeration, there's absolutely no chance of a buy from me if that's been meddled with.

I haven't checked the soundtracks for each game but is there anyone on there who has been outed as the sort of person you wouldn't want to hear from any more? 

I'm not sure how well all the radio station content will have aged so I wouldn't be against them changing some of that content if necessary. 

For what it's worth I think Rockstar will do a good job with these. They want something they can continue to sell for the next ten years, not just something to make a quick buck on. 

I'm most interested in seeing what they do with GTA3. I think Liberty City was the most interesting playground from that trilogy of games. Vice City had more style but the islands were basically two long strips. There was more to do in San Andreas but I felt like I ended up looking at the mini map too much while driving. Between GTA3 and then LCS I learned how to navigate that city in a way I haven't with almost any other GTA style game. 

15 minutes ago, mushashi said:

If you've never played any before, I'd suggest that you are better off going with GTA V. The entire 3D series has been mechanically woeful since inception, but at least the most recent one is finally semi-competent. The actual content appeal of each major entry depends on personal taste.

I agree, but I wouldn't mind just playing Vice City and see if I get along with it for nostalgia reasons, alongside San Andreas.

28 minutes ago, mushashi said:

I’d agree with this. Mechanics wise they’ve always been clunky or overly fiddly - Rockstar are not great at controls, just look at Red Dead 2! Go for whichever storyline appeals:

- 90s mobster story with silent protagonist, it’s basically Sopranos

- 80s rags to riches scarface ripoff 

- 90s black gangster story aka boys in the hood 

- 00s Slavic gangster story about immigrants trying to make it big

- 10s retired mobster, up and coming gang banger and psychotic nut job start robbing banks. 

Story wise I think San Andreas and V are probably the best. 

As good as Vice City was I really have no interest bin replaying any of these.

You couldn't even swim in GTA3 and  Vice City, I remember dieing many times trying to jump into a boat.

And the annoying train jump in San Andreas.

I'd rather they just concentrate on GTA  6.

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Its rockstar Dundee doing these apparently (formerly Ruffian). I think that's a good thing?

did ruffian have something to do with the first crackdown?

The criticism of 3 and VC is very harsh. These two games stand up because they were very much games with cinematic presentation,  rather than the bloated cinematic experiences with gaming bits that the later games became. You can dive in with either 3 or VC and start enjoying classic GTA shenanigans immediately which is what drew me back in with the iPad versions. Disclaimer - played them with a PS4 pad.

Okay, the shooting is absolute balls but the driving is geared towards having fun - have you forgotten how great the taxi, ambulance etc mini games were? And being able to chain massive vehicle explosions together without the cops turning up as soon as you even look at a grenade? Getting up on top of a tall building and firing rockets off at the streets below? The laugh out loud physics? In general there are so many more interesting and fun diversions that just have so much more spirit and grit than the later games.

I would choose 3 and VC over any of the other games, easily, and that is coming from relatively fresh playthroughs.

K-Jah!

I will recognise that it has been a number of years since I played it, but San Andreas has a surprising amount of freeform gameplay in its approach, particularly in exploring the world. Segments of the map are locked behind progress (enforced via immediate wanted levels) but the sheer amount of available content straight out of the gate is fantastic.

You can do a surprising amount of stuff before even returning to Grove Street. All of the gang tags/oysters/photography are available, you can do Taxi/Ambulance/Vigilante missions, properties are available to buy and a few other hidden side missions to build extra income are all accessible.

I would have a lot of fun seeing just how much of the game I could do and how successful I could make CJ before first returning to Grove Street. Wanted to rub it into Sweet's stupid fucking face.

Fancied having a go on Vice City recently and found a mod guide so it ran at 60fps, free camera, and a couple of other tweaks. Going to be honest and say it hasn't aged well gameplay wise especially using guns. The targeting is atrocious, maybe it was down to me using the mouse to aim but the game wanting to use the crappy cycle-through-targets system that probably made more sense on consoles. It felt really clunky generally, getting over low walls was a pain, the jump is useless. Have to come to the conclusion that it's not timeless, it came out on PC in 2003, things have moved on so much since then it's really difficult to deprogram.

I rinsed 3, because it was one of those "holy shit look what the PS2 can do" games but I'm not sure I finished Vice City, and I barely touched San Andreas. Will Vice City retain all/some of the old music? I'm not sure what made 5 bad because I enjoyed it immensely (never did the online stuff) but if it's those mechanics, but with these other settings, then this could be for me.

With apologies for being one of the players Rockstar are counting on, I think I could be persuaded to get this. Eventually. In a sale.

edit - read back a bit and I guess I have low hopes for the VC soundtrack, then.

12 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I rinsed 3, because it was one of those "holy shit look what the PS2 can do" games but I'm not sure I finished Vice City, and I barely touched San Andreas. Will Vice City retain all/some of the old music? I'm not sure what made 5 bad because I enjoyed it immensely (never did the online stuff) but if it's those mechanics, but with these other settings, then this could be for me.

With apologies for being one of the players Rockstar are counting on, I think I could be persuaded to get this. Eventually. In a sale.

edit - read back a bit and I guess I have low hopes for the VC soundtrack, then.

I don’t think anyone thinks V is bad. A lot of people whinge about IV, but that was pretty good, too (awful controls notwithstanding - but that’s a staple of the series). 

IV was hot garbage and that's a hill I'll die on. I have issues with V and the GTA template but that's a conversation for another thread.

I played III on a pc before I had a PS2 and modding the shit out of it was loads of fun. Dropping KITT from Knightrider into it and the A Team van and all that kind of dumb shit. You could mess with the density values too so you could make cars that would plough through everything. Long before Steam and Steam workshop. I wouldn't have the patience these days.