Jump to content
IGNORED

GTA Remastered Trilogy (GTA3/San Andreas/Vice City) - ah sh*t, here we go again


SMD
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

IV was hot garbage and that's a hill I'll die on. I have issues with V and the GTA template but that's a conversation for another thread.

 

I played III on a pc before I had a PS2 and modding the shit out of it was loads of fun. Dropping KITT from Knightrider into it and the A Team van and all that kind of dumb shit. You could mess with the density values too so you could make cars that would plough through everything. Long before Steam and Steam workshop. I wouldn't have the patience these days.


What didn’t you like about IV? The story? The gameplay? The controls? I’d argue the gameplay and controls haven’t really changed since 3. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a lot about IV which felt like Rockstar constantly getting in the way of what you wanted to do - rigid adherence to the way they want a mission to play out, strategically parked vehicles disappearing, Roman constantly badgering you to play minigames - but by fuck it was a tremendously fun game to play with friends passing the controller around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Fry Crayola said:

There's a lot about IV which felt like Rockstar constantly getting in the way of what you wanted to do - rigid adherence to the way they want a mission to play out, strategically parked vehicles disappearing, Roman constantly badgering you to play minigames - but by fuck it was a tremendously fun game to play with friends passing the controller around.

Right, it felt like I was being punished for trying interesting ways of completing a mission, the antithesis of emergent open-world fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

13 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:


What didn’t you like about IV? The story? The gameplay? The controls? I’d argue the gameplay and controls haven’t really changed since 3. 

 

 

Precisely. That and it was boring as hell, and the usual narrative dissonance of being an ex soldier who was done with all the killing except when he's running people over and shooting people just because as that's what the framework allows. Funnily enough I didn't bump up against that in Red Dead Redemption. But then Marston was a much more likeable psychopath than Niko.

 

I played and loved III, Vice City and San Andreas but I've tried to go back and you can't. IV was probably where I started to see Dan Houser can't write for shit and I got bored of the lazy tropes, jokes and obvious real world parallels played for laughs. I played through V even though all those things were still present so more fool me. I don't think I'll bother with 6

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

There's a lot about IV which felt like Rockstar constantly getting in the way of what you wanted to do - rigid adherence to the way they want a mission to play out, strategically parked vehicles disappearing, Roman constantly badgering you to play minigames - but by fuck it was a tremendously fun game to play with friends passing the controller around.


IV was brilliant, and even better online with free mode and ranked racing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah. RLLMUK GTA IV race nights were amongst the most fun gaming experiences I’ve ever had. The time I blew almost everyone’s ice cream van up at the airport from a single grenade drop will stay with me forever. 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4’s the only one I did finish. And that was accidental, and a damp squib, an anticlimax that petered out.

 

to this day I can’t be sure I didn’t finish it, maybe it’s a just a bug that means there are no mission icons anywhere on the map?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 is also the one I didn't finish. I remember completing a mission where I owned some fancy penthouse or something and there was a big assault on it where I had to try to defend it and then escape. That was the last mission I did for some reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've forgotten I think literally everything about it except for "Cousin! Come do something pointless!".

 

Which does mean I could possibly give it another punt, maybe on PC, although like all the older GTAs they've changed all the music for cheaper stuff now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

4 is also the one I didn't finish. I remember completing a mission where I owned some fancy penthouse or something and there was a big assault on it where I had to try to defend it and then escape. That was the last mission I did for some reason.


I think that IS the last mission, other than the old man on the bench.

 

at least that’s how I remember it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fused gamer said:

The cars were off centre in 4 and always bugged the crap out of me.

 

That didn't bug me at all - I don't even remember it being a thing for me.  What did bug me was that for 99.9% of the cars, they all handled like the titanic.  After it had hit the iceberg.

 

I can't see me playing any of these remasters at all.  I've bought them all once, played them all at least twice, and for Vice City put well over 300 hours in it just dicking about listening to the soundtrack.

A shamelss cash grab with, I strongly suspect, very little in the way of upgrades to any part of the games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dudley said:

Which does mean I could possibly give it another punt, maybe on PC, although like all the older GTAs they've changed all the music for cheaper stuff now.

 

The benefit of a system not locked down to fuck and back, you can ignore the legal requirements of the music copyright holders and mod back in the original soundtracks on the games:

 

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV#Restore_removed_music

 

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto:_San_Andreas

 

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto:_Vice_City

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah. These are simply remasters. Of ancient PS2 games. And I don't expect them to add a lot of QOL features or improvements, if any, but rather take stuff out - like the music. Asking full price for a collection of upscaled PS2 games seems ridiculous to me.

 

It will probably sell like crazy though.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played like the first two thirds of Vice City again earlier in the year and really enjoyed it. Plenty of mods out there to tighten things up and restore removed effects, songs, etc. Pretty sure this was the guide / mod pack I used.

 

I'm very sceptical about these. R* have really mis-treated the games over the years. Just stop fucking with them!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mushashi said:

 

The benefit of a system not locked down to fuck and back, you can ignore the legal requirements of the music copyright holders and mod back in the original soundtracks on the games:

 

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV#Restore_removed_music

 

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto:_San_Andreas

 

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto:_Vice_City

 

 

Yeah that thought had occurred. I bet full no effort patches will be very common almost instantly for the remaster too.

 

Assuming that's coming to PC anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Pinch of salt required as they're probably placeholder

 

 
Maybe 

 

 

They've got the release date down as 31st December 2021, so I'd say it's definitely a placeholder. They've gone in high to try and cover themselves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

£70, lol.

 

This is one of those things where no good can come of remastering them. No-one is going to be that bothered by whatever little work they actually do to them, and then to basically use that as an excuse to, at least, double the price, can't fail to leave a sour taste.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.