GTA Remastered Trilogy (GTA3/San Andreas/Vice City) - ah sh*t, here we go again

SMD

3 hours ago, FishyFish said:

Despite my memory being shit for important stuff I need to remember, I can still recall that Gary Numan's Cars was on the radio the first time I got in a car in Vice City.

Gary Numan's Cars will proabbly be missing from the soundtrack in the new versions but I still have my Vice City CD boxset If I want the nostalgia hit.

Tangentially from this, wasn’t Vice City’s scenario remarkably novel back in 2002, daring even? Rather different to now, given that the whole ‘80s throwback theme has since become a stale cliché in this post Stranger Things world.

4 hours ago, Harsin said:

The fact they haven't even shown a pixels worth of a game that's coming out in the next two months certainly screams quality product.

Well Nintendo got away with only showing off 3D All-Stars two weeks before it came out so maybe Rockstar think they can do the same? 

I just hope that this release is a bit better than that turned out. Banjo Kazooie getting a better update than Mario 64 still feels wrong. 

9 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Tangentially from this, wasn’t Vice City’s scenario remarkably novel back in 2002, daring even? Rather different to now, given that the whole ‘80s throwback theme has since become a stale cliché in this post Stranger Things world.

i was thinking this the other day. 70s or 60s GTA would be vastly superior because that’s when all the best cars were made. Almost all the cars I own in GTA: O are muscle cars. I probably put 100,000 miles on my gold Phoenix and half as many on my Dukes. They’re the most fun, demanding, and rewarding to drive.

The only 70s GTA-esque games I think of are Driver and the first half of Driver: Parallel Lines. Parallel Lines was an absolute banger. Loved it. 

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:

i was thinking this the other day. 70s or 60s GTA would be vastly superior because that’s when all the best cars were made. Almost all the cars I own in GTA: O are muscle cars. I probably put 100,000 miles on my gold Phoenix and half as many on my Dukes. They’re the most fun, demanding, and rewarding to drive.

The only 70s GTA-esque games I think of are Driver and the first half of Driver: Parallel Lines. Parallel Lines was an absolute banger. Loved it. 

Mafia 3

22 hours ago, bear said:

I'm sure the multi-billion dollar corporation doesn't particularly need me to stand up for them but we haven't seen anything beyond a logo and most people seem certain that Take 2 are going to do a piss poor job with this whole project. I'm don't know why that seems to be the case. 

I imagine it's because the last time they did GTA : SA they released a mobile port on a home console.

If Rockstar had been proud and/or confident with this release, we'd see a lot more marketing for it, even gameplay footage. We'd have tag lines like "Go back to the roots", "Where the legend started", "Revisit the classics or discover them for the first time" and "Three EPIC games for the price of one!". 

All we get is the sweet sound of silence. Nothing. Nada. 

I suspect Rockstar isn't really proud nor confident with this release but hey, please prove me wrong. 

The thing is they don't need to. Why waste time and money promoting the shit out of something that's going to sell like fuckery anyway? It's pointless at this time of year and especially pointless for anything that has GTA on the label. I'd be surprised if the biggest outcry wasn't all the people who jumped on at GTA V going "Wot?! No online lol?!"

I’m really keen to see GTA3, it remains my favourite GTA game, I played it so much back in the day that the city feels like a second home. 
If they’ve added the ability to swim, that would be a bonus, however I’ll just take some spit and polish and be happy!

7 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I’d have liked them at least to bung in the 2D games as well. 

They don't acknowledge them any more, which is frustrating cos GTA2 and Chinatown Wars are amazing.

12 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

yeah but that was shit

It takes a little while to get going, but it's fucking great overall and had a terrific story. You should give it another shot.

44 minutes ago, Thor said:

It takes a little while to get going, but it's fucking great overall and had a terrific story. You should give it another shot.

I finished it having done most of the content. It’s perfectly competent in a ropey, glitchy kind of way but it reminded me of a PS2 game and also I can’t stand this Shadow of Mordor approach to open world games - make sure enough base are belong to you before unlocking the next story mission etc. 90% of the game felt like busywork filler. Also the driving is terrible. 

Great setting, that in and of itself was a triumph. 

I was sort of interested, but then I saw the price. Full price!!! I can only hope they want that much because they bought all the music again.

The Xbox port (that's original Xbox, 2003-ish) of GTA3 and VC had updated car and character models, individual fingers instead of box hands, light relections on cars and updated rain effects. That version disappeared off the face of the Earth - they went with the iOS ports ever since.

9 hours ago, Rayn said:

If Rockstar had been proud and/or confident with this release, we'd see a lot more marketing for it, even gameplay footage. We'd have tag lines like "Go back to the roots", "Where the legend started", "Revisit the classics or discover them for the first time" and "Three EPIC games for the price of one!". 

All we get is the sweet sound of silence. Nothing. Nada. 

I suspect Rockstar isn't really proud nor confident with this release but hey, please prove me wrong. 

They are saving that for the gta 3 anniversary in a couple of weeks I imagine.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

They are saving that for the gta 3 anniversary in a couple of weeks I imagine.

I was hoping they were saving it for a GTA IV remaster/remake. If there's a GTA I'd love to revisit with modern controls, physics and visuals, it's ironically the one before the last. There's just something about the NYC inspired map, the atmosphere, the characters and especially the DLC chapters that makes GTA IV something truly special and even original in the endless ocean of open world crime games. 

I would be intrigued to see a true remake of these games. 3, VC, SA done in V's engine (if not a further evolution). But obviously that's a big task, far more than just a job of taking the existing work and porting it, and as such won't happen.

On 10/10/2021 at 18:37, SeanR said:

4’s the only one I did finish. maybe it’s a just a bug that means there are no mission icons anywhere on the map?

That bug did happen to me, in 4. The ‘no missions’ bug got me when I was about half way through, I deleted it, returned it to the shop and have never played a GTA game since.

15 hours ago, Chindie said:

I would be intrigued to see a true remake of these games. 3, VC, SA done in V's engine (if not a further evolution). But obviously that's a big task, far more than just a job of taking the existing work and porting it, and as such won't happen.

So is it confirmed that these are basically just ports? On other words, the same versions that are already available on every platform under the sun including (I believe ) current gen consoles (definitely previous gen, at least). 

3 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

So is it confirmed that these are basically just ports? On other words, the same versions that are already available on every platform under the sun including (I believe ) current gen consoles (definitely previous gen, at least). 

The suggestion appears to be that they are porting them to Unreal, and making some minor tweaks (i.e. resolution boost, lighting updates) and possibly some tweaks to some gameplay mechanics, like aiming, and that's it. A remaster style release - bare minimum work, a touch more than a pure port but no more.

Leaked details:

Three iconic cities, three epic stories. Play the genre-defining classics of the original Grand Theft Auto Trilogy: Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas updated for a new generation, now with across-the-board enhancements including brilliant new lighting and environmental upgrades, high-resolution textures, increased draw distances, Grand Theft Auto V-style controls and targeting, and much more, bringing these beloved worlds to life with all new levels of detail.

The description above and the specs below were supposedly found on a page on Rockstar's site that has either been deleted or never existed in the first place.

The same user posted some background images for the games that they allegedly found in the Rockstar launcher.

I meant to post this earlier but I went to the loo and then forgot. 

Still skeptical.  I loved the first three games at release - they were incredible achievements for the hardware at the time in terms of the scale of what they did.  But I've played the PSN releases of all of them recently and while they are still enjoyable, there is a bunch of things that would need to be done to convince me to re-buy.  Though being honest if they do these, I possibly would.

First, the graphics need to be more than the same models uprezzed with some lighting effects.  Unless they can do some witchcraft that makes it look at least on par with GTA IV on the 360, then I dont think I'm that fussed over what I have.

Second is the controls.  They were servicable at the time but very much designed around not using the R stick to aim (SA did have this, but even that was clunky).  This meant the camera was often pretty bad and awkward to get where you wanted it, especially in enclosed environments.  Lock on was ok, but could be temperamental to get the target you wanted, so shootouts werent great and it was super easy to end up with a camera in pointing the wrong way while you're getting shot to shit by people you cant see while the lock on targets a random person.  Particularly in the first 2, some missions felt more about setting up to get around the controls, and in Vice City, i made a habit of using cars as weapons as much as possible, because it was often easier than a shootout.  Again, if they upgraded to IVs controls for on foot, that would be tempting.

If they came out saying they were doing a full on remaster with graphics on par with previous gen GTA V and using the same controls, I'd be in.  The settings themselves are great and while IIIs writing is a bit like someones first mob film, the second 2 step it up.  Certainly better that IVs story which starts fine, then feels like someone didnt know how to finish it.  I like 5s story, but I get the complaints about the protagonists, though I do like the 3 person mechanic, and from a point of "roleplay" when messing around in the world, it feels a bit like a reaction to complaints that Nico (or to some extents CJ) are written a specific way that makes going on a murder rampage out of character for them.

Also someone mentioned "problematic" content in the older games.  While replaying, I was kind of surprised by some of the stuff in there that I never really noticed or thought much of when I first played it.  GTA SA has an autoshop called "Transfenders", which has the byline of "Get the body you want".  There's a few times on the radio station (some of these may be in 4) where they play for laughs that a women is actually a man.  I'm pretty sure theres a Lazlow section in one where he is making excuses about something and blurts out "I didnt realise she had a dick!".  There's quite a lot of bits referencing closeted homosexuality, like the show "my 5 dads" where the child asks why she can never get in on the group hugs and a camp voice calls her a bitch.  Theres a few fudge packer references - one directly referencing a company, one with a football team called the Packers, who are sponsored by a fudge company.  IV has a mail company called "Post Op" which has the tagline "No longer just Mail".  Some of it comes across as harmless jokes or puns, but theres deffo a few instances where characters a kind of "eewww, homos/transgenders"