Quake “Revitalized Edition” - id & MachineGames

layten

We'll see. I definitely feel like the series struggled a bit with Q4 and ETQW (although I still liked those games! :blush: ) but if they can "DOOM (2016)" the series it could be ace.

Cautiously optimistic. 

I enjoyed the first two new Wolfensteins, although the second one more for the unhinged storytelling then the gameplay.

I hope they capture the exploratory feel of the best Quake 1+2 levels with more enemies physically in the level as you go around instead of all warping in. There was one level in Doom 2016 that worked that way (the foundry? I think it was the third one...) and it was magnificent.

So more of that.

Machinegames did a really good job with that Quake episode they made, but on the basis of the Wolfenstein games, I’m not sure they’re the right developer for the series. They’re great at story and narrative,  not so great at the actual level design / shooting things bit. 

31 minutes ago, K said:

Machinegames did a really good job with that Quake episode they made, but on the basis of the Wolfenstein games, I’m not sure they’re the right developer for the series. They’re great at story and narrative,  not so great at the actual level design / shooting things bit. 

Their first Wolfenstein had some clever immersive sim style level design (lots of vents) and a few non linear and open sections. Nothing like the weird, tangled exploration of 3D space you'd want in a Quake game, but enough to show some promise.

Nice to get a free upgrade on the Steam version, turning off the new enhancements and going low res thankfully gets the chunky look back but something like Quakespasm might still be the better option on PC for the retro look.

Tempted to get it on Switch for the gyro controls, has anyone bought it already and can vouch for those?

Just now, Popo said:

Guys, it’s on fucking Game Pass right fucking now. 

I was literally just browsing the GP app to register points for the day and this was RIGHT THERE. I actually squealed.

6 minutes ago, Popo said:

Guys, it’s on fucking Game Pass right fucking now. 

Just downloaded it (Series X) :).

How did this not leak out a while ago (unless it did and I missed it) through the usual ratings process or similar? 

It's so smooth! And fast! And all of the windowed and resolution options I could ask for are there!

I had to push the mouse sensitivity up to get comfortable, but everything else feels really nice. :) 

Blimey!

Have they disabled the console?

Are there servers, or is it matchmaking for multiplayer?

Have they fucked about with the game at all?

This had to come out when I'm literally 100 miles away from my PC until tomorrow 😡