Quake “Revitalized Edition” - id & MachineGames

layten

7 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Never got to play quake back in the day, bar a quick ten min go on a mates computer, damn excited. I’m guessing the true way to play this is setting the Rez to low? 

Absolutely. I'm looking forward to seeing what the closest equivalent ultrawide resolution is to 640x480 that the game supports — ideally 1120 x 480 :D

(I'm here assuming that the game runs in/emulates software rendering, rather than any of the ugly hardware-accelerated versions; none of this glide rubbish for me!)

7 minutes ago, PK said:

Blimey!

Have they disabled the console?

Are there servers, or is it matchmaking for multiplayer?

Have they fucked about with the game at all?

This had to come out when I'm literally 100 miles away from my PC until tomorrow 😡

There are matchmaking servers and peer to peer for private/custom deathmatch and co-op. 

I wasn't ready for how nostalgic I was going to be for how this game sounds.

*chunk* *huh* *chunk* *whaa*

I might be playing on on console on a controller but since I first played the game with only a keyboard I think I'm in a better position than then.

I'm not entirely sure what a next gen patch can do it's clearly running native 4k my tablet can run quake in 4k at > 200fps (might be >500fps I can't remember)

3 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

There are matchmaking servers and peer to peer for private/custom deathmatch and co-op. 

Ah, ok. Bit of a shame, but I suppose community-run servers would never work/be allowed by our corporate overlords these days.

34 minutes ago, Popo said:

Oh fuck, I feel seasick. 🤢 

It’s too fast!

19 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

It's so smooth! And fast! And all of the windowed and resolution options I could ask for are there!

I had to push the mouse sensitivity up to get comfortable, but everything else feels really nice. :) 

Just taken a look in options and it turns out that “Always Run” is set to ”On” by default!! :)

Hilariously this is the first game in gamepass since getting my x at launch that is a defacto gold standard top game for me. But I’ve already bought it again on switch cos I’m going away for the next few days. £8. Bargain! 

Honestly, between this, doom 1,2 and 64, Bethesda are absolutely knocking it out the park. No regrets. 

The new MachineGames campaign (Dimension of the Machine - not the new one from five years ago, an actual new one) is fucking amazing.

The default settings are tastefully chosen (no texture filtering) although there are some extra settings for motion blur, antialiasing and ambient occlusion which look nice.

Oh and make sure to turn view bob on, static weapon models look weird.

Enemy models have been slightly revamped and have smoother animation. It's basically a nice source port. I really hope they add Arcane Dimensions, Alkaline etc. to the officially sanctioned mods, but I can expect they'd make the Switch version shit the bed.

Oh my. I have to say it's been a bit disapointing in that the MP servers for Q1 are pretty dead - usually 1v1. On the flip side all the old shit I remember as a teenager has flooded back and (using a controller aside) it's been fun being the best in the room at an online game in 2021, for now at least.

Quake feels extremely weird with a controller; I think it’s a combination of the very fast character movement, being used to using mouse & keyboard, and the way that your aim moves relatively slowly under the default settings. This is a very nice port though - the campaign as a whole is a bit samey, but that first episode is absolutely burned into my memory. So many good bits, like the introduction of the zombies, and the bit where the levels start to become really vertical. 

The Quake 64 add-on is interesting - they seem to have put a fair bit of effort into it, there’s some kind of post-processing to replicate the classic N64 blur, the textures look suitably fuzzy, and the coloured lighting is in. All that looks very odd coupled with a 60fps frame rate. I’m not sure whether the add-on is purely cosmetic either, or whether it uses the simpler geometry of the N64 game. 

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

uh, guys?

Wait what!?!

Ah PC only. 

Talking of platforms. This wasn’t announced before MS bought them right, and yet it’s multi platform. That’s interesting (and great). 

4 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Wait what!?!

Yeah. Just the PC versions, though. I'm surprised the XBLA version of Q3A or the 360 retail version of Q4 wasn't dredged back from the dead for a quick "hey here's another Quake, just have all the quake games".

I'd love to have Nightdive take a crack at porting 2 and 3 in exactly the same manner as this, though. Looks good, feels good, and lashings of content. The only negative thing I can say about the port thus far is that the controller just feels completely off at default - overly sensitive WASD, overly non-sensitive Mouselook. I could swear Darkplaces did this better.

All rectified once you go to KBM, mind, and I'd imagine it's not that big of a deal if you have a controller that deals with gyro.

1 hour ago, Siri said:

I'm surprised the XBLA version of Q3A or the 360 retail version of Q4 wasn't dredged back from the dead for a quick "hey here's another Quake, just have all the quake games".

Not to mention the Xbox 360 port of Quake II, that was only given away with Quake 4.

Quake was the first non-split screen multiplayer game I ever played, a bunch of us would grab the pcs at school at lunchtime and play it on the LAN back in 1997.

I remember some of the maps, amazingly.