Quake “Revitalized Edition” - id & MachineGames

layten

8 hours ago, K said:

Quake feels extremely weird with a controller; I think it’s a combination of the very fast character movement, being used to using mouse & keyboard, and the way that your aim moves relatively slowly under the default settings. This is a very nice port though - the campaign as a whole is a bit samey, but that first episode is absolutely burned into my memory. So many good bits, like the introduction of the zombies, and the bit where the levels start to become really vertical. 

The Quake 64 add-on is interesting - they seem to have put a fair bit of effort into it, there’s some kind of post-processing to replicate the classic N64 blur, the textures look suitably fuzzy, and the coloured lighting is in. All that looks very odd coupled with a 60fps frame rate. I’m not sure whether the add-on is purely cosmetic either, or whether it uses the simpler geometry of the N64 game. 

After seeing this post I just tried the add on with the Xbox version and unless it's my imagination the aiming and movement with a controller seems a lot better than the default game and I may have noticed a tiny little auto aim snap at some point? I was messing about with my sensitivity late last night so it might just be that I fixed it last night and this is all a placebo.

I wish it didn't have such an aggressive blur but with the coloured lighting back in the game already looks a lot better to my eyes.

The console controls are well set up LT also being jump is good. RB bringing up a modern doom weapon wheel along with slow motion and a depth of field is a great touch. 

Quick save and quick load being the bumpers when paused is good. 

On a series X I couldn't find a point where I could tell if anti aliasing was doing anything as at native 4k it was so sharp...

1 minute ago, Dave White said:

we should play mp. at least there won't be a £600 phone bill.

How our partners must have loved us back in the day, £1800 on a PC, a phone bill that required repayment instalments on the arrears, and being greeted with an earful of modem squawk every time they tried to call their friends :lol:

Yeah, Quake was the one for me. Doom was a bit too early in my gaming life - and either way my parents would never have allowed it - but Quake and to a lesser extent Duke 3D came at just the right time. I was old enough to be trusted with my choices and multiplayer gaming was something a bit more magical than today to me, dialling into the Wireplay system at god knows what per minute and playing against actual people felt like being part of a community. Until the obligatory phone bill hundreds of pounds more than usual.

45 minutes ago, Stanley said:

How our partners must have loved us back in the day, £1800 on a PC, a phone bill that required repayment instalments on the arrears, and being greeted with an earful of modem squawk every time they tried to call their friends :lol:

ah the good old days.

9 hours ago, Siri said:

I'm surprised the XBLA version of Q3A or the 360 retail version of Q4 wasn't dredged back from the dead for a quick "hey here's another Quake, just have all the quake games"

Or a Quake 3 collection with emulations of the DC and PS2 and XBLA games. And Team Arena :P 

Wait....have all the quake games been dropped on Gamepass? Last night it was just the first game. 

Please tell me Quake 3 Arena has online play!?

1 minute ago, Ry said:

Wait....have all the quake games been dropped on Gamepass? Last night it was just the first game. 

Please tell me Quake 3 Arena has online play!?

Only on PC Game Pass.

Consoles it's just the original Quake for now.

4 hours ago, PyramidFace said:

It was on the Nintendo 64.

I know! But I only ever played the PC version.

edit: to be fair, Quake is almost certainly the most modern game I’ve played on a PC as well.

Edited by Protocol Penguin

I’ve been saying for a couple of years I really really want Quake 3 Arena back.

can’t be long but it needs tweaking for controllers.

Happy with quake. I remember playing it on a Pentium 133 with 16 meg ram like it was yesterday.

I was intimately familiar with the shareware version, but now I'm actually discovering a whole 75% worth of Quake for the first time and with excellent visuals. It's great.

I can't have played quake since probably stopping for quake 2 but it's certainly not one I've been back to for ages and the memory of levels and secrets is fascinating. 

I played the first 4 or so levels and not only was it surprising how well designed some of the levels are (considering the amount of FPS games just do "very tarted up corridor") but also how I felt compelled to just shoot a wall or drop down somewhere because I knew there was something there. 

It's a good game and it's not just the rose tints.

HA, i just came to post that!

To those wondering about it being released for everything, its been in development for 18 months according to MVG in the vid above, so, likely was already agreed to be released for those systems.

I genuinely jumped for joy when I saw this on Twitter! I got my first job so I could afford the phone bills playing this on dial up back in the day, and me and my friend from school used to lug our PC's to eachother's houses to spend all night playing lan matches. It's crazy to think how complicated and expensive it was to build a PC and get it online in those days, and now 5 minutes after seeing the announcement I can be lying on my sofa gibbing it up online on a handheld the size of a DVD case (and even DVD cases didn't exist back then!).

I love that you can turn off the fancy effects and play it all pixelly and jagged just as god intended. 

Not played original Quake, only ever played the PlayStation release or Quake 2 in multiplayer (with a multitap!). I was woefully bad at that but would like to be able to do something similar again.

1 hour ago, Simmy said:

Nice surprise!!

Am I wrong in thinking there's a modern Quake in development too? Was that confirmed? Or was this it?

This is it.

It's not actually running on the Quake engine, they've ported it into KEX.

46 minutes ago, PK said:

This is it.

It's not actually running on the Quake engine, they've ported it into KEX.

Awww that's a blow, but only because I thought there was a new Quake coming in the same vein / engine as the new Wolfenstein games.

Dunno why I got confused with that!