Quake “Revitalized Edition” - id & MachineGames

layten

3 hours ago, 5R7 said:

HA, i just came to post that!

To those wondering about it being released for everything, its been in development for 18 months according to MVG in the vid above, so, likely was already agreed to be released for those systems.

It's also a good demonstration of MS's crossplay tech (playfab).

Ya gotta love that if you owned this on steam, you just got given the updated version...for free...like, hey guys, we've released Quake!!! :D... oh you're on Gamepass, yeah? its there! wait, you had it on steam? no worries, we got you covered to, its already updated! yeah thats right, an update to your 25 year old game! 👍

meanwhile at sony...what, you want the PS5 update to Ghosts!?!?! eugh 🥱, thats £15 then, "Playstaion - for the payers!"

5 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Well, of all the things I wasn't expecting to be playing Quake most of last night and this afternoon, but it happened. 

Anyone up for deathmatch, either on PC or crossplay with console on controllers (spit)?

I might be up for some of that. It seems you have to sign into a Bethesda account for it within the game or can you set up a P2P server?

11 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

Ya gotta love that if you owned this on steam, you just got given the updated version...for free...like, hey guys, we've released Quake!!! :D... oh you're on Gamepass, yeah? its there! wait, you had it on steam? no worries, we got you covered to, its already updated! yeah thats right, an update to your 25 year old game! 👍

meanwhile at sony...what, you want the PS5 update to Ghosts!?!?! eugh 🥱, thats £15 then, "Playstaion - for the payers!"

FWIW if you have Quake on the Bethesda launcher (and remember they gave all 3 games away free last Quakecon) you also get the remaster for free.

I means I’d already installed the Gamepass version but I was impressed when I opened the Bethesda launcher last night it just updated to the new version.

In other news Quake is still great and lovely to see it working perfectly with pad controls (which was a bit of an issue on PC previously).

Installing this right now. Amazed they're not taking the piss.

Edit: just fired this up and it's exactly what you want from a Quake update. I know there are source ports that do all sorts of funky stuff but this official one has a good balance between the old and the new, and it still plays beautifully. Steam still lets you get at the old version as well if you want to extract the WAD files to use elsewhere. 

45 minutes ago, Benny said:

I might be up for some of that. It seems you have to sign into a Bethesda account for it within the game or can you set up a P2P server?

You need a Bethesda account to set up a P2P server, yes. Not sure if you'd be able to join without one?

1 hour ago, Lyrical Donut said:

You need a Bethesda account to set up a P2P server, yes. Not sure if you'd be able to join without one?

I just realised I probably made one to play Doom Eternal so can probably use that.

Man alive, I am so rusty in MP on this it's not even funny. Despite concentrating super hard I couldn't hit the proverbial barn door with a banjo. But it feels to good to play. I just need to find some equally shit players to enjoy this with. I know that it just takes a shit ton of deaths to git gud. So yeah, if anyone want easy kills get on the server.

1 hour ago, Lyrical Donut said:

If you're around now, I've set up a private lobby for PC - FLDQ. Might have some others joining shortly.

I'm otherwise engaged tonight but I'd be up for some tomorrow if the server (or any server) is up again.

I did try some multiplayer last night, but I noticed most servers had a ping north of 150ms... Was like playing on a 56k modem all over again :lol:

Although, the MP maps did seem to have really awful frame rate compared to the buttery smooth single player, so not sure what's going on there. The actual control of your character seemed to be tied to how much network lag there was, so button click and shot were hugely delayed and it felt awful. It's not how the MP is supposed to work. It should have no actual control lag, but high latency should cause warping instead, and you compensate by prediction, otherwise it feels like arse.

17 hours ago, Simmy said:

Awww that's a blow, but only because I thought there was a new Quake coming in the same vein / engine as the new Wolfenstein games.

Dunno why I got confused with that!

There's a brand new episode in this made by Machine Games, which is probably where you got that idea from.

I knew Half-Life ran on a modified version of the Quake engine, but playing this again really cements how similar they actually feel. The momentum of the movement and jumping, even shooting those leaping enemies out the air feels just like you’re popping head crabs.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I did try some multiplayer last night, but I noticed most servers had a ping north of 150ms... Was like playing on a 56k modem all over again :lol:

Noticed this too. Seemed quite strange and reminded me of HBP vs LBP when I was playing TFC.

It's honestly put me off playing the multiplayer as it's just a terrible way to do the netcode whatever it is. It makes actually playing matches a complete mess and never feels like you're fully in control.

Slow or laggy movement tied to quality of connection is just stupid and is why people gave up on so many fighting games that have bad netcode.

The single player is amazing though, and that's the main thing.

3 hours ago, Benny said:

The authentic 90's Quake experience! ;)

I hope they can add some region filtering somehow, because when you're in a lobby with people with decent pings, it feels great. When you're not, it gets very messy.

The games I had with @GokouDand @Vimsterlast night felt great, as did the matches I played with a friend. Pings were in the 30-50 range and it didn't skip a beat.

I'll probably be playing again mid evening tonight if you (or anyone else) fancy giving it another go.

14 hours ago, GokouD said:

Christ that was intense! Time for this old timer to go to bed haha.

Yeah, I felt a bit frazzled too :lol:

I had a keyboard Macro for a sort of zoom that emulated aiming down the sights on the original PC version at one point. Quake 1 always had wildly over the top auto aim by default anyway though making zooming in a bit redundant.