IGNORED

Lego Star Wars - Skywalker Saga - Spring 2022

gospvg

Enjoying this so far. With this and Kirby, it’s great having games which are not afraid to just be a fun experience. It’s like having a dopamine hit every minute and the best Lego since Undercover. 

My only gripe so far having played a few more hours is how short the actual "main levels" are. Only done Ep1 so dno if they get longer but they've all been around the 10 min mark at absolute maximum. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the way they flow from the hub telling the story to the compact levels, the complete trilogy was known for having badly designed levels or levels that were overly long with tedious puzzles, they just seem to have gone to the extreme other end. 

It looks like Achievements only unlock for the ‘main’ logged in account as well - when we played through the Batman and Marvel games on PS all the logged in accounts would get the trophy if one was unlocked. So for example the achievement for completing A New Hope only unlocked for him although we played through it together. 

Just fired it up in Remote play and it insisted on playing in split screen although it was only my son playing.

The  character select screens are really fussy too. this one is probably me being too used to how earlier games did it though - tap Y and choose from big list of characters. This splits them out into sub-menus of different classes by pressing down on the D pad and we haven’t figured out a quicker way (if there is one) yet. The menus generally are quite bewildering. 

There's just so much on them. As a result I mash buttons until I find the right one and then squint a bit because the amount of content means the text is smaller than I'd like (on my smaller TV - it's fine on the larger one).

Finished Episode 5 and got the first stud multiplier. Should make True Jedi scores and unlocking other elements a much more relaxing process. My OCD doing it so far meant needing to destroy everything I saw in a level and sometimes I'd end up a few studs short as a the final cut scene played and I sighed 😂

7 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

There's just so much on them. As a result I mash buttons until I find the right one and then squint a bit because the amount of content means the text is smaller than I'd like (on my smaller TV - it's fine on the larger one).

Finished Episode 5 and got the first stud multiplier. Should make True Jedi scores and unlocking other elements a much more relaxing process. My OCD doing it so far meant needing to destroy everything I saw in a level and sometimes I'd end up a few studs short as a the final cut scene played and I sighed 😂

Getting temporary multipliers from combat helps a lot too.

I had a good (bad) minute of being confused by the swap character function. Does feel overly complicated versus the older method.

Put another few hours in last night, and while I’m enjoying it, the game does feel fussy in places.

As for the menus, would love an AC Valhalla ‘press L3 to mark all as seen’ function.

55 minutes ago, glb said:

I had a good (bad) minute of being confused by the swap character function. Does feel overly complicated versus the older method.

If you mean choosing them from the menu, it really is, but if you mean changing them on the fly then you can use the shoulder buttons.

11 minutes ago, Darren said:

If you mean choosing them from the menu, it really is, but if you mean changing them on the fly then you can use the shoulder buttons.

That seems to work in levels but not hub/free play areas? That seemed the way yesterday evening, we were forever digging into menus to change characters while playing in the Jundland Wastes in free play, it was very fiddly and was really getting in the way of the fun.

4 minutes ago, lankysanchez said:

That seems to work in levels but not hub/free play areas? That seemed the way yesterday evening, we were forever digging into menus to change characters while playing in the Jundland Wastes in free play, it was very fiddly and was really getting in the way of the fun.

Oh right, I've not used it much so didn't realise it only works sometimes! That seems like a bug that needs patching to me.

41 minutes ago, lankysanchez said:

The shoulder buttons do work in the hub areas but only for the characters actually wandering the world with you (which is a variable number, maybe even just one in some places meaning there is no-one to switch to and they appear not to work).

If you use the left and right arrows you'll see the display is laid out like this:

(1) (2) (...) | (3) (4)

• (1) and (2) and (...) are active characters on the map you can switch between on shoulder buttons.

• (3) and (4) are other characters you can replace your current character with. I think they're recently used ones, like favourites. Basically a shortcut to avoid opening the full character select (down arrow after pressing left or right arrow).

Simple right?

1 minute ago, thesnwmn said:

Simple right?

For a game ostensibly aimed at kids (and ageing geeks like me) there is a lot of very obtuse UI stuff in here! It just took us a couple of minutes to figure out how to get from a story mission to a different hub area 😂 

We had spotted that menu thing, but even though we had slotted characters in the second bit we were limited to our 2 characters- L-R switching didn’t do anything and we had to dig into the menus. 

Hopefully we will get the hang of it soon as one of my son’s mates is coming round during the Easter holiday and they will want to play this a lot!

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Yep, via the menus when in a hub area. Couldn’t get a Christmas Special 3PO to appear for ages, then did but then swapped him back before knowing what I’d done.

Have now completed Episode I and IV, with about 55 of about one million Kyber bricks collected. Was going to polish off the original trilogy but think I’ll save V (and VI) until last, just because Lego AT-ATs.

Got my x2 stud multiplier too. But only after finally finding a datacard. Another collectible to unlock collectibles. Honestly, Ubisoft will look at this game and just think they’re not trying hard enough with the icons.

Just played through 'A New Hope' & it's great.

Had to laugh at the grunting noises Obi Wan makes every time he uses either his lightsabre or the force.  He sounds like he is trying to do a constipated turd.🤣🤣

Janko Fett!

I’m about halfway through episode 2, went into space to chase Jango Fett from Kamino, and the game froze when I tried to start the next bit of the story. And I think it must have corrupted my save because having restarted I can’t get back there anymore. I’m on Kamino but when I take off I just have the free play objectives in space to choose from, nothing about chasing Jango any more.

I think I might have to start the whole thing again…

edit: according to Reddit it’s a known bug apparently:

1E9F2489-651C-4120-896A-FC1A1193E84A.thumb.jpeg.326bb73e9e1d06e9d63efacc56f311ce.jpeg

edit edit: and there is an update available now (I had to tell the Xbox to check for it and then it found it). Fingers crossed this fixes it.

edit edit edit: It worked! Thank the maker…

Had a bit where you stand on a button which reveals a bar for player 2 to grab. Only they couldn’t grab it, and stepping off the button didn’t do anything. Save and reload!

Also had a bit where P2 couldn’t move.  They could rotate on the spot but not move, jump or shoot. Save and reload!

And a timed event where you shoot 4 targets in so many seconds which then opens a crate with a brick in it. Only the crate didn’t open, but it says I’ve finished the event, so I can’t repeat it, but I also didn’t get the brick. Delete save and start the whole game again!

It also crashed twice on loading screens (loading screens! On a PS5!), and twice all the voices went really tinny and broken.

Oh, and Yoda was invisible for a while.

anyone looking the best way to farm some stud's quickly the best way is to keep replaying the first mission of rise of skywalker - instead of shooting the ties - keep shooting the pipes the level will keep going indefinitly until you shoot down the 10 ties - so dont shoot them and you can continue shooting the pipes for studs - its slow until you unlock the first stud multiplier - but then goes up quickly (spent this afternoon doing it and unlocking all the mulitiplier and now a 3 min run is ranking me on average 500 million studs). 

have to admit after a slow start with this finished the main story campaigns and really loved it - and now just having fun exploring the various worlds (have unlocked the capital ships and the super star destroyer is prob my fav)

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Janko Fett!

I’m about halfway through episode 2, went into space to chase Jango Fett from Kamino, and the game froze when I tried to start the next bit of the story. And I think it must have corrupted my save because having restarted I can’t get back there anymore. I’m on Kamino but when I take off I just have the free play objectives in space to choose from, nothing about chasing Jango any more.

I think I might have to start the whole thing again…

edit: according to Reddit it’s a known bug apparently:

1E9F2489-651C-4120-896A-FC1A1193E84A.thumb.jpeg.326bb73e9e1d06e9d63efacc56f311ce.jpeg

edit edit: and there is an update available now (I had to tell the Xbox to check for it and then it found it). Fingers crossed this fixes it.

edit edit edit: It worked! Thank the maker…

I'd not seen about this but but I had seen discussion about how some of the story parts in hub areas can only be played once. So something like the Jango encounter is once per save. Seems like a shame that you cannot redo story events that happen in hubs.

It's a buggy game. When starting I find you have to skip the cut scene at very specific points. Either during the first logo or two or you have to wait until after the first Rey solo scene. The prompt comes up but the game won't skip (in addition the main title screen takes far too long to fade in all the characters). Then about 4 or 5 times I've had hangs loading levels or even the main episode select screen.

And god the loading times. It's not that they're probably that bad compared to previous generations but on the Series consoles they stand out as horrendous.

Still, it is a lot of low effort fun so it's not damping the experience really.

9 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Amazon still have the PS5 Deluxe version with the mini-fig at rrp.

Probably as hardly anyone’s got a PS5.

All the other console versions are overpriced re-sellers.

Retailers have pulled the deluxe edition because the codes for the dlc are borked. Still waiting for PSN or WB support to sort it out. I’ve had to send lots of details and photos via email, but it’s going to take a while by the looks of things.

Yet another update today, and a game ending bug. On Episode VIII, when Rey and Ren are off to see Snoke, you have to manoeuvre a big device thing into a hole. Only you can’t turn it round to go in straight, and it explodes if you try without turning it round. And doesn’t regenerate. So you have to quit the level.

I can’t progress. Game is screwed.

I'm not sure I'm enjoying this game. I want to. I've had my issues with Lego games in the past and them never quite fixing them issues. I was hoping for better here with a ground up rebuilding (and in theory a better camera) ... but in being bigger and better it also seems messier and less polished. It's just winding me up having to faff about working out what I have to do, and initially having to keep on a tight line in what is clearly built to be open levels. 

How much better is this going to get once I've raced through the story? Anyone at the point of trying to rinse this in free play yet?

I think I'm giving up on this in co-op. Despite the Lego games' reputation, I think this is a pretty poor co-op experience. The FOV is way too low for playing in half a screen (it's too tight, really, even in single-player) so it's like playing with horse blinkers on, it's actually really hard to get your bearings sometimes. In the open areas the two players usually wander off in different directions and do completely different stuff, which means that you're just missing out on bits of the game - my son found four kyber bricks while I was trying to figure out just one, and I barely saw what he was doing, so that was just stuff I'm never going to get to experience. And - most fatally of all - you can't set separate invert settings for each player, and I invert while he does not, so one of us always has to play with the controls the "wrong" way round.

By way of contrast we stuck on It Takes Two, which uses the same vertical split screen layout, and while I have reservations about that game in terms of its characterisation and writing, it's clearly designed as a co-op game from the ground up and it really shows. The FOV never feels constricted, the characters co-operate on the same puzzles (in different ways) throughout, and we each have our own control settings.

As a single-player game I think Skywalker Saga is really good, and will be even better after a couple of patches, so I think I'm going to just treat it as such.

45 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

I'm not sure I'm enjoying this game. I want to. I've had my issues with Lego games in the past and them never quite fixing them issues. I was hoping for better here with a ground up rebuilding (and in theory a better camera) ... but in being bigger and better it also seems messier and less polished. It's just winding me up having to faff about working out what I have to do, and initially having to keep on a tight line in what is clearly built to be open levels. 

How much better is this going to get once I've raced through the story? Anyone at the point of trying to rinse this in free play yet?

I think the way to think about this is that those aren't levels In the open world hubs. Those are just pathing through open world hubs to get to the next level entrance.

The actual levels are not open world at all. They're all narrow corridors funnelling you along (with some alternative routes occasionally).

It's been interesting having played episodes 1, 3, 4 and 5 now. Episode 1 has a lot more time doing story stuff in the hubs than any of the original trilogy. And I didn't enjoy it as much. At one point I arrived in a hub. Got slow walked to a taxi. Got out, went to an office. Did a cut scene and walked back via the taxi to my ship. That was not really fun. I just had to do it to open the next big level.

Having said that, when I ignore the story for a bit and actually explore the hubs (which there is nothing stopping you from doing) I enjoy it. Looking for Kyber Bricks and Datacards, solving puzzles and doing side quests.

I don't see why it would get better after racing through the story. I mean every area will be open to you but if you want you can jump around places you've been pretty freely. Particularly once you've finished one film and the galaxy map opens up properly.

Personally I sort of skim the story. Pay it a passing interest whilst just smashing things to pieces.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Yet another update today, and a game ending bug. On Episode VIII, when Rey and Ren are off to see Snoke, you have to manoeuvre a big device thing into a hole. Only you can’t turn it round to go in straight, and it explodes if you try without turning it round. And doesn’t regenerate. So you have to quit the level.

I can’t progress. Game is screwed.

If this is  the power battery thing for the door - have you removed the old battery  from the hole after you cut the panel - then tried to put the new one in (sorry if this is. Stupid question as I was stuck here until i realised  you have to remove the old battery from the home first) 

15 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

If this is  the power battery thing for the door - have you removed the old battery  from the hole after you cut the panel - then tried to put the new one in (sorry if this is. Stupid question as I was stuck here until i realised  you have to remove the old battery from the home first) 

Yes, have done all that. Replacement just won’t go in.