IGNORED

Lego Star Wars - Skywalker Saga

gospvg

@Garwoofoo Can you adjust settings for the split screen to a dynamic split like in the earlier Lego games? That wasn’t frustration-free either but might help with about 10% of your (valid) concerns. 

Re inverting: on Xbox I definitely had to set it on a per-player basis so I’m pretty sure you can have one player inverted and the other not on that console anyway. My son constantly wants to swap controllers if the game assigns me the story character he wants to play though so I just set everything to inverted pretty quickly. He’s not bothered either way but I’m training him with inverted as is good and proper. 

1 hour ago, lankysanchez said:

@Garwoofoo Can you adjust settings for the split screen to a dynamic split like in the earlier Lego games? That wasn’t frustration-free either but might help with about 10% of your (valid) concerns. 

Re inverting: on Xbox I definitely had to set it on a per-player basis so I’m pretty sure you can have one player inverted and the other not on that console anyway. My son constantly wants to swap controllers if the game assigns me the story character he wants to play though so I just set everything to inverted pretty quickly. He’s not bothered either way but I’m training him with inverted as is good and proper. 

It's "proper" split screen only in this one - although given the behind-the-shoulder viewpoint and the close camera I think that makes sense. Any kind of dynamic split-screen would hardly ever be triggered.

With regards to the inverting, I couldn't find anything that was per-player. Setting the invert option in the options menu as player 1 also changed it for player 2. However the menus are confusing as shit so it's possible there's a separate per-player option in there too that I've missed, I'll go back and have another look if you think it's definitely in there.

So if you play this in co-op, you've got split screen on all the time? The more I hear about this game, the less interested I am.

2 hours ago, K said:

So if you play this in co-op, you've got split screen on all the time? The more I hear about this game, the less interested I am.

Yes, because the player perspective is now always over the shoulder, more third person action/adventure style. So non-split screen doesn't work conceptually. It's probably an improvement from a 'serious' game perspective but to its detriment in terms of just fun, particularly in co-op (although that's not from personal experience).

Note: Whether it's good or bad generally is a bit tricky. I think I overall preferred the old perspective. But just that coop wouldn't work without it as the game levels and gameplay are designed around that perspective I think.

4 hours ago, K said:

Yes. And it means that when you force lift stuff, it appears off the screen so you can't aim it to put it down properly.

5 hours ago, deKay said:

Yes, have done all that. Replacement just won’t go in.

And after 283642867386 tries, it eventually worked.

Found another bug today too - sometimes when player 2 presses d-pad left/right to bring up the character selector, it also brings it up for player 1.

But! We've finished the story and spent a merry hour mopping up bricks in Naboo and Jar Jar Lightbulb Land (whatever it's called - I've no idea).

Typically with Lego games I’ll play through the story, with only a few diversions into free play to get enough studs for the first few multipliers, then do the full mop up. Another few hours today and while I like the sprawling size of the game, at times I’m missing the longer levels of the previous games. 

However, I do think that will change for me once the free play in this begins in earnest. Found in the past when replaying the longer levels there was always a couple that were a slog. With the levels in this being so short (only five minikits!), and a lot more focus on the hubs instead, think free play will be even more fun than usual and much less repetitive. I’ve barely taken in a lot of the detail while following the story path (bar a couple of Kyber missions)

Tempted to mix my usual pattern up a bit, namely finish Episodes I-III, then do all the free play stuff for them before moving on to the other two trilogies.

I've played an hour of the Switch version and I'm... nervous. I haven't bumped into any major issues yet but the framerate is a bit twitchy and I can see that I'm most likely going to bump into a fair few bugs. Really hope it doesn't spoil the enjoyment. 

Also the smaller levels are... weird. Hopefully I'll find it better once I start doing some of the side missions and stuff. 

Most of the way through the prequel trilogy now. It feels very different to the original trilogy. A lot more travelling through the hubs going back and forth. Many of the levels feel a little shorter. And the first one particularly is feels heavy on vehicle levels early on. Feels a lot more bloated than the originals which I'd say seem tighter and more full of good scenes.

Tbh it's a pretty good reflection of the actual films. The originals are much more to the point with a lot less padding.

First bug this morning.  Jango’s Ship level, took 4 attempts as it just disappeared the first time and then stopped taking damage during the other two. Finally worked on the 4th try.

Still love this though, it’s just great fun and there is soooooo much to do.

Prequel trilogy complete now, just the sequel one to go.

This one was much much worse than the original trilogy imo. Too many boss battles (rinse repeat 'fights' with little puzzles between each health bar). Too much running from A to B around Coruscant (particulatly because you have to use taxis between sub areas to it feel less connected and alive than say Mo's Eisley).

Hopefully the final trilogy will go back to a better balance.

Still, having lots of fun generally (I think I have to keep saying this because I am but I realise my posts don't sound like it 🤣)

Yeah the boss battles are the biggest annoyance in the first trilogy.

Fortunately spamming melee seems to take care of things which I imagine is pretty much what Elden Ring is like albeit with worse graphics :coffee:

I'm lucky enough to have not encountered any bugs yet.

Still in the prequels and enjoying the exploring more than the actual story levels. 

I think this will be at it's best once I'm playing in Free Play after completing all the levels.

7 hours ago, Jg15 said:

It wouldn't be a Lego game if it wasn't buggy!

Thing is, it’s supposed to be an entirely new engine built from the ground up. And yet, it suffers from exactly the same bugs as previous Lego games.

Today I was doing a mission where you have to kill and collect 5 womp rats and it kept randomly forgetting how many I’d done so I had to keep going back to the places where I’d killed them to find corpses ready for collection.

So. many. bugs.

3 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I think this will be at it's best once I'm playing in Free Play after completing all the levels.

Thats certainly where most of the bugs are!

This always looked like it was coming in hot, after multiple delays and with reports of crunch at the studio.

Hopefully a couple of patches will sort it out. I think I'm going to give up buying games on release.

24 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

This always looked like it was coming in hot, after multiple delays and with reports of crunch at the studio.

Hopefully a couple of patches will sort it out. I think I'm going to give up buying games on release.

We’re on patch 4 or 5 now

On 09/04/2022 at 18:08, Garwoofoo said:

I think I'm going to give up buying games on release.

Is the correct answer. Buying shit day one is largely pointless these days as a) they drop so quick anyway and b) they're invariably busted to shit. There's no way of gauging how quickly they're going to get fixed so you may as well wait for a sale. At least that way if it STILL isn't fixed you've not spent 60 quid on it or some shit.

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Is the correct answer. Buying shit day one is largely pointless these days as a) they drop so quick anyway and b) they're invariably busted to shit. There's no way of gauging how quickly they're going to get fixed so you may as well wait for a sale. At least that way if it STILL isn't fixed you've not spent 60 quid on it or some shit.

Normally I am 100% this, I make the exception for Persona games, some Nintendo 1st party stuff, and for some weird reason, Skywalker Saga. I'm normally way behind the curve and playing games that I need to get pages and pages in on Muk to get impressions and advice.

I’m saving the original trilogy for last. Managed to break my progress in the prequel trilogy for daring to quit out of a story mission as it looked like the camera was knackered (really tight focus on my character with everything else blurred to incomprehension). Leaving it in the hope a patch will allow me to finish it. 

• gospvg changed the title to Lego Star Wars - Skywalker Saga