Saints Row - Feb 22 2022 - Dialing back the madness

MDY

I think you could still easily make an open world crime game that's more in line with the actual criminal businesses and gang coverage of an area etc without it being like gta or as silly as the latter saints row games. 

We've not actually had a "new" gta for about 10 years now of course but they're a lot more linear than you necessarily have to be within that very general "criminal gang" starting point. 

A lot of the appeal of those early 3D GTAs was the whole 'playing that bit from that movie' rather than even the premise of the title of the game (although even in gta 2 the actual control of zones with different gangs etc was a big part of it, which came back for Los santos and then vanished again). So I think they could conceivably make a very good open world crime game that was a little bit more serious than saints row and it not really be in much competition with gta aside from it being a 3rd person open world crime game. 

Strangely enough, the fact that 3rd person open world game is so many different genres these days does almost make some of the earlier comparisons between the two seem a little bit unfair to a certain degree. After saints row 2 they have never really been that similar. 

(As an aside, I also think the sleeping dogs way of doing things - undercover cop - is actually strangely underused in the open world crime game genre as it lends itself to the possibility of the player not behaving exactly the way the story has been written, which has been a problem with almost all open world games since their inception)

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:

True Crime Streets of LA and 50 Cent Blood in the Sand were also early 3d shit gta clones. 

Oh yeah, there was a time when it felt that "gta clone" was going to be as ubiquitous as "doom clone" was but it didn't really pan out like that to the same extent.

Although it did end up being that gta so outsold any of the other games, there has been a total lack of any variation within what is technically a huge genre of game. 

I have never understood peoples attachment to the story elements of Saints Row 2 in particular. At one point you have to shoot one of your little buddies after Michael Dorns character decides to mess him up. Its absolutely naff but somehow people have convinced themselves it is a big totes emotes moment. Maybe it'd work if the game had a more serious tone throughout but the mission starts with your character getting bothered by a flasher. 

5 hours ago, Scruff said:

"Get up"

Never had shivers like that in a GTA.

And just those two words had the whole moment playing in my mind immediately. Some genuinely great writing, and a bite that disappeared from the zanier sequels. 

'I'm assuming I get the eighty'.

The shit GTA 50 Cent game you're thinking of is Bulletproof, I believe. IIRC, it was rightfully slated as such.

Blood in the Sand, conversely, is an absolute gem, even when held up against other TPSes of the era like Lost Planet and The Club. They're two very different games, and now I'm going to put BitS on my Steam Deck because now I'm craving the fucking thing oh god why

The 360 version is backwards compatible on the Xbox Series X by the way! But it's disc only due to obvious licensing issues. I bought it immediately after the BC announcement for 5 euros. I can imagine it has since increased in value :lol:

Imma gonna play it this evening I think!

For a moment I was confused because those screenshots look nothing like Blood on the Sand. 

But yes, looks nice. I remember nothing about SR 2 but I remember that I finished it. I clearly remember 3, but at some point I got bored and stopped playing it.

10 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Sounds like a Switch port issue. I've played a lot of IV on PC and Xbox and it never crashed once.

You can create your character any time you like in-game, so maybe do it in stages. Get the hair looking good. Start. Save. Go to a surgeon, get that nose impeccable. Rinse, repeat until you have the abomination of your dreams.

I meant to say I couldn’t face doing the character creation again. On the plus side, the game was only £2.70 (or close) at the time so I managed to get over it.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

I meant to say I couldn’t face doing the character creation again. On the plus side, the game was only £2.70 (or close) at the time so I managed to get over it.

I just went mostly default, cockney voice ofc and played it to completion, 93% done in handheld on the Switch Lite. For less than £3 it was a bargain :)

9 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

For a moment I was confused because those screenshots look nothing like Blood on the Sand. 

But yes, looks nice. I remember nothing about SR 2 but I remember that I finished it. I clearly remember 3, but at some point I got bored and stopped playing it.

IV is amazing. I have to admit that a lot of the character interactions made no sense as I only started playing the series with 3, but fuck it, running up the sides of skyscrapers, jumping off and doing an earth-shattering ground pound never gets old.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...