Saints Row - Feb 22 2022 - Dialing back the madness

MDY

15 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

It looks great. I saw an early section that sold me immediately.

I'm pretty excited for this. It's been a while since we've had a GTA style open world full of nonsense. I'm glad they've ditched the OG characters to be honest, I was sick to death of them playing 4 and never finished it. That and it was just a bad game. The new city looks better too and that N3 video shows off the fuckery perfectly.

5 hours ago, Ry said:

Has there been any talk of graphics modes?

If there's no 60fps then I'm out. 

On Series X and PS5? Of course there will be. Every video shown's been 60fps, and even though they may all be the PC version it'd be insanity to release a bigger budget 30fps only game in the current landscape. Though at a push Series S might be 30fps, I guess. Even then, I'd assume they're pushing for 60 with lower fidelity and perhaps a less stable framerate.

@dave7g Character wise, I'm not a huge fan of the visual design of the new crew - but since I'm not insane, I'm not allowing that to colour my view of the entire game like some screaming lunatics online are. Pretty much every video I've checked shows that the gameplay is going to be a blast, and I'm generally on board with the writing as well.

And yeah, Santo Ileso looks like a good playground. Vibrant, has obvious districts that seemingly don't blend into each other, Apex Legends style wingsuit points that chuck you into the sky... yeah, this is looking good.

@BabelRich Nope. I thought I did, but I was thinking of Coolshop which usually had good prices but could show up a day or two late in my experience.

1 hour ago, dave7g said:

I'm pretty excited for this. It's been a while since we've had a GTA style open world full of nonsense. I'm glad they've ditched the OG characters to be honest, I was sick to death of them playing 4 and never finished it.

o/

Having only played 3 and 4, all but one of the callbacks in 4 were completely wasted on me, so I am happy that have decided to reboot with all new characters. Also, it's been five years since 4 so buggered if I can remember any of that shit now.

That and it was just a bad game.

:o

You look at this and think 'yeah, this could be a lot of fun' but then in the back of my mind I remind myself that the last three triple A titles that I should have bought on day one (gt7, fallout 76, farcry 6, and cyberpunk) were sent out as a completely buggy shambles. How bad could it be...?

I mean if you lower your expectations, and in this day and age, if a game actually loads on release day after a 50gb patch, that should be considered to be something of a result?

27 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just buy it on day two instead of day one surely?

Do I need to lower my expectations to 'definate day two purchase!!'

Love an open world romp, and the previews make it look it'll be fun, if a little mindless (not a major issue, switching off mentally and blowing stuff up in a game is absolutely fine with me) Saints needed a reboot because the series had pretty much painted itself into a corner in terms of ridiculousness. Actually hope this new one is akin to SR2, which had silliness but moments like Red Asphalt, and it's knock-ons.

If this scores 80+ tempted to 'day three' it, otherwise scores in the 70s and it'll be a... day ninety?

I've had some reservations for this release since it was announced but I must admit that I'm actually quite hopeful now that I've seen more from it. I'm actually a big fan of the visual direction and it seems they've gone for pure fun. Fingers crossed that it's a fun game that doesn't rely too much on earlier games but rather drives the IP forward. 

3 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I can’t be bothered to start a thread but I really don’t like it when games release on a Tuesday. I want that stuff for my weekend.

I know where you're coming from but at least you're less likely to experience server issues and major bugs if you can wait a few days. The last time I was pumped for a new release was Halo Infinite and that was a huge mess on release day. 

3 hours ago, glb said:

Saints needed a reboot because the series had pretty much painted itself into a corner in terms of ridiculousness.

I think they should continue the ramping insanity thing, but do a reset every three games. I want to be playing this game’s sequel’s sequel in ten years and I’m punching God while dressed as a chibi polar bear.

7 hours ago, Strafe said:

I can’t be bothered to start a thread but I really don’t like it when games release on a Tuesday. I want that stuff for my weekend.

What about the following weekend?

Er, this is kind of ok...

First mission is a bit shitty, but the drive home from that. Well, it's over the top shithousery, the level of character customisation is absurd, things explode far too easily, it's a very large world that's seemingly free of jankiness, and maybe because I'm on the ps5 beta test but it's running at 2160p uhd/4k and it looks amazing. It's like Michael Bay decided to direct gta 7.

My local indie went fuck the relase date and put it on the shelf. I happened to be there.

I'll do a vid tomorrow, bit of gameplay and suchlike. It did crash after about three hours, which given my level of expectation at t minus 4 days before purchase, I'm kind of ok with that.

Some of the executions are waaaaaaaaay over the top. But, you know, it's absolute nonsense.

There are some really weird, ‘anti-woke’ videos cropping up about this. And some about ‘why SR will fail’ or some such bullshit.

Clickbait really is a scourge. For what it’s worth I was seeking out further gameplay impressions as tempted to take a punt. Assume the current reasonable prices will stay that way, so will wait for the review embargo to lift before ordering.

22 hours ago, glb said:

Love an open world romp, and the previews make it look it'll be fun, if a little mindless (not a major issue, switching off mentally and blowing stuff up in a game is absolutely fine with me) Saints needed a reboot because the series had pretty much painted itself into a corner in terms of ridiculousness. Actually hope this new one is akin to SR2, which had silliness but moments like Red Asphalt, and it's knock-ons.

If this scores 80+ tempted to 'day three' it, otherwise scores in the 70s and it'll be a... day ninety?

I've never been able to understand how people can bring up stuff like Red Asphalt or Gats girlfriend dying and then talk about SR2 having real  emotional moments. None of it is earned. Little buddy that gets dragged behind the truck has been presented as an annoying milksop dullard up until the very moment you are suddenly expected to care that he's gone. Maybe the fact I'd given my character the cockney voice took away from the sombre tone and one of the other voice tracks would have been totes emotes but the whole thing was a cartoon to me. It was about as emotionally affecting and out of place as a ballad on a Five album. 

Just to be clear that wasn't intended as an attack on you.

It just feels like people started to retroactively try to big up the emotional stuff in SR2 after 3 came out and went full cartoon. 

40 minutes ago, bear said:

Just to be clear that wasn't intended as an attack on you.

It just feels like people started to retroactively try to big up the emotional stuff in SR2 after 3 came out and went full cartoon. 

Oh no worries, didn’t take it as such :)

Just replied as it was quoted. Saints 2 was hardly Dickens but in video game terms it did take me back a bit at the time.

Made me think of other emotional responses to games. The end of the first Walking Dead actually had me blubbing. And Last of Us II is a journey. SR2 doesn’t get close to those, but for an open world game, it’s decent.