Saints Row - Feb 22 2022 - Dialing back the madness

MDY

Hmm, weaker scores than expected. The Metro reviewer isn't very convincing though, he sounds like he's been paid off by Take Two given he brings up GTA approximately every three nanoseconds and seems curiously desperate to trash the series as a whole.

I know he hasn't because that doesn't really happen, but man.

However, the one concern I have here is that it seems really short. I'd hoped for an expansive, sprawling crime drama that I could get lost in. Not the story, necessarily, but taking over neighbourhoods, finding hidden stuff (remember the unmarked shopping mall in Saints Row 2 in... Nob Hill?) and generally feeling like it was a steep climb to the top.

The fact that reviews call it old fashioned as a negative is a positive to me. 

Sounds quite buggy though, happy to wait until its in a better state. Oh and the frame rate and tech analysis at digital foundry does not sound good. 

Yeah, given Crackdown 3 got slated for being old fashioned when that was the best open-world action game since, ooh, Saints Row 3 at least, that particular criticism doesn't particularly worry me.

Oh yeah. Modern sensibilities often seemingly equates to the Sony third person narrative model. While I don't necessarily dislike those if done well (though certain highly acclaimed ones I didn't like at all - it's telling that I much prefer Days Gone to Uncharted 4, for example) I'd rather have something I can boot up and be having some crazy nonsense I'm fully in control of happening within seconds.

Wiper likes Crackdown 3? I should give it a bash, I'd totally forgotten about it by the time I got my Series X.

Crackdown 3 is good! The vehicle physics are a bit of a damp squib, but it's a solid Crackdown 1.5 — just an enjoyable 15 hours or so of explosions and floaty platforming.

I'm going to be reviewing it and haven't finished it yet, but it doesn't seem short to me. There's certainly a ton of optional side stuff to unlock, plenty of vehicles and a decent variety of locations.

I'd agree that it feels old-fashioned though, and I don't see that as a positive. A lot of it feels like what GTA3 managed all those years ago, not in the sense of recreating its spirit while modernising it, but a sloppy rehash.

I've had some fun with it - the OTT driving physics and explosions often make being in a vehicle the highlight, plus a few of the bigger missions have some absurd set pieces that land - but there's also quite a lot there that's just kind of dull and messy and, yeah, old.

I don't think it's awful, but it's not very good either.

8 hours ago, Rayn said:

Review embargo is lifted 3pm UK time today. So what do we reckon? A hit? A bit shit? Somewhere in the middle?

My guess is a metascore of 83 by the end of the week. 

By 83 I meant 63 :unsure:

I’ve been playing this all day and I bloody love it. 

It’s great fun, a bit janky and extremely silly without being as insane as 3 or 4.

For me it’s a great follow up to SR 2 or even San Andreas. 

Also one of the emotes is Van Damme’s drunken dance from Kick-boxer so that’s worth an extra point on its own. 

I even like the Whedon-esque smart-arse script. Again it’s very silly but in a very fun way. 

Example: One character says he hates wasting money and another one points out he’s wearing a bow-tie.

YMMV obviously but if you were a fan of SR or early 3D GTAs I think you’ll like this, if you enjoy daft humour make that love. 

23 minutes ago, BabelRich said:

I’ve been playing this all day and I bloody love it. 

It’s great fun, a bit janky and extremely silly without being as insane as 3 or 4.

For me it’s a great follow up to SR 2 or even San Andreas. 

Also one of the emotes is Van Damme’s drunken dance from Kick-boxer so that’s worth an extra point on its own. 

I even like the Whedon-esque smart-arse script. Again it’s very silly but in a very fun way. 

Example: One character says he hates wasting money and another one points out he’s wearing a bow-tie.

YMMV obviously but if you were a fan of SR or early 3D GTAs I think you’ll like this, if you enjoy daft humour make that love. 

That sounds right up my street to be honest. My only hesitation is not being sure when I’d be able to drop a few hours on it, so might wait until I can book some time off next month and take the plunge.

Should also allow time for the most glaring jank to be sorted.

Got stuck 2 mins into the character creator. Not a good look.

Outside of that seemed like a higher res SR3 aesthetic which is fine with me. Not beautiful but not taking itself seriously

Just now, Uzi said:

Got stuck 2 mins into the character creator. Not a good look.

Outside of that seemed like a higher res SR3 aesthetic which is fine with me. Not beautiful but not taking itself seriously

Its already downloading a 6GB patch when I restarted. Must be a day one patch hopefully helps

So I’ve never played one of these games, but I did remember buying Saints Row IV on Switch a while back for pennies, so booted it up to see if it’s my cup of tea. 

Now, bearing in mind I haven’t played 1 through 3. What the fuck is this shit?

7 hours ago, Ry said:

The fact that reviews call it old fashioned as a negative is a positive to me. 

I think there’s a difference between retro and old fashioned, and it’s not in the latter’s favour.

Played the first hour or so. It's fine. It is completely Saints Row. I think classic (as in Saints Row 3 ish gameplay) Saints Row in 2022 is probably poo poo in a post rockstar world where the alternative wacky goofy fun budget esque feeling romp isn't really what gamers in a slow summer want. People were probably hoping for a juiced up modern reinvented SR2 type affair but thats sadly not what it is. I'll definitely have my fun with it once, uninstall and forget about it. The level of customisation is there but man the other downside is they picked such a drab fucking location. Only Fallout New Vegas has made a nevada style desert location interesting. For every other kinda game its boring as shit.

3 hours ago, Popo said:

So I’ve never played one of these games, but I did remember buying Saints Row IV on Switch a while back for pennies, so booted it up to see if it’s my cup of tea. 

Now, bearing in mind I haven’t played 1 through 3. What the fuck is this shit?

SR4 is basically a very very good Crackdown. Also Fuck Cancer.

5 hours ago, Flub said:

SR4 is basically a very very good Crackdown. Also Fuck Cancer.

I fucked cancer, but I do think the Switch port is a shadow of what this game is supposed to be, as the textures are incredibly grainy and low-res, and the frame rate is appalling, and as such probably not a great way to judge the series. 

Don't worry, I'm not going to become this threads apologist, but I really like the setting.

I don't know how much exploration @Uzi has done but it's more than just the desert town. That's where you start but you're soon travelling around the actual desert with its abandoned mine and little backwater tourist trap. There's a cowboy town, a Vegas analogue, the big city, a modern, gentrified town. Plus there is loads of detail for those that want to slow down and take it all in.

There's even a tourist side mission where you activate tourist boards that give you info about art installations and local points of interest.

Bought! Was almost swayed into waiting on a price drop, but many of the people hating on it have acted like bellends since it was first announced so I'm feeling rebellious.

I'm sure some of the criticism is deserved, but it still looks like a damn fun game.

As others have said I quite like the idea of an old-fashioned, no nonsense open world game, the sort you'd get from the early 2010s. Sounds a tad bland but once they've sorted the bugs out I'd give it a go for some decent enough fun. It's either that or I find someone to play 3 in co-op with.

Downloading a patch right now which I hope will squish some bugs, the worst of which being my Subtitle options no longer work, but still having loads of fun. 

There’s a LARP storyline which is just genius. 

Also, if the lack of cockney voice gets you down, I recommend voice #2. It may sound like generic American girl in the setup but makes a lot of the boss’s lines sound like Bean from Disenchantment. 

2 minutes ago, Vimster said:

As others have said I quite like the idea of an old-fashioned, no nonsense open world game, the sort you'd get from the early 2010s. Sounds a tad bland but once they've sorted the bugs out I'd give it a go for some decent enough fun. It's either that or I find someone to play 3 in co-op with.

I realise I’ve turned into the cheerleader here and apologies, but it’s absolutely not bland. 

4 minutes ago, BabelRich said:

I realise I’ve turned into the cheerleader here and apologies, but it’s absolutely not bland. 

What he said, and I'd be quick to put the boot right in if I thought otherwise. For a recent release that actually works, it's a hell of an achievement.