Saints Row - Feb 22 2022 - Dialing back the madness

MDY

I definitely find the 'LOL ITS SHIT' crowd to be  a bit weird and sheeplike. It's a lot of fun - buggier than would be preferable and with a mediocre storyline, but plays well, looks nice and generally provides good vibes. Not a classic I'll remember being blindsided by like SR2, but just a damn enjoyable videogame with some rough spots.

I did have one annoying main storyline glitch where the cops show up and you have to wipe them out, but they're up on an overpass and you're not allowed to go too far outside of the mission zone to get up to them. Had to fire under the bridge to get them to back off towards a place where I could hit them, or they'd be hit by traffic.

Also, it's in the style of GTA rather than SR4 but has a lot of madness to it. Cartoon sandbox mayhem would be a decent way to put it.

20 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Anyone done the insurance venture?

How do you activate it? I’m meant to doing one in lakeshore but running into traffic just gets me hurt 

You find them on the map (a car running into a person).

I really enjoy the driving in this. The world is so dense and filled with breakable objects, the car chases are proper intense and amazing.

One side-gig had me driving an ice-cream van halfway across the map. The preceding firefight had left me with a flat tire which certainly added to the difficulty (I'm sure I could have restarted the checkpoint but decided to run with it.)

This chase is probably in the top 3 of gaming moments for me this year, due to all the wild stuff that happened, several crazy jumps, a body count easily in the hundreds, two wheels over the edge of a bridge at one moment.

28 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Anyone done the insurance venture?

How do you activate it? I’m meant to doing one in lakeshore but running into traffic just gets me hurt 

There’s a sign by the roadside to activate them usually. 

Just now, Mr.Crowley said:

I really enjoy the driving in this. The world is so dense and filled with breakable objects, the car chases are proper intense and amazing.

One side-gig had me driving an ice-cream van halfway across the map. The preceding firefight had left me with a flat tire which certainly added to the difficulty (I'm sure I could have restarted the checkpoint but decided to run with it.)

This chase is probably in the top 3 of gaming moments for me this year, due to all the wild stuff that happened, several crazy jumps, a body count easily in the hundreds, two wheels over the edge of a bridge at one moment.

I really hope more people give this a chance and don’t listen to the YouTube influencers and digital foundry nitpicking.  The moment to moment gameplay on this is fun and it looks fine for what it’s chucking around. 

Up to level 2 Empire. 

I think if you stuck to one thing (i.e. maxing a venture) you could possibly get bored, but as it stands I'm having a blast mixing leveling up with main missions.

Have I missed something obvious or is there no way to summon a car etc? (Might be something that unlocks later)

I actually really like the cast. There's not (too much) too them but I'm engaged with them.

Good question, I still haven't found a delivery service. Which is kinda weird. I often find myself fast traveling back to HQ to hit the garage.

Also it's weird how you can't fast travel in the initial stage of a mission before you get to the first waypoint. I'll often start one, notice it's on the other side of the map, abort the mission then fast travel closer before starting it again.

This is genuinely piss funny. I went on a 'bullpup' rampage last night, culminating with a vist from an airborne patrol and what appears to be an abrams tank. 

I also managed to knock a truck loaded with fireworks into a police road block. Absolute scenes, video to follow.

On 24/08/2022 at 17:00, Flub said:

Does anyone know where I can get the hotdog suit?

I found the hot dog suit. It’s in one of the last businesses you open up for the empire table. It should be pretty obvious which one. 

Spoiler

0675E6D1-9E77-4626-A77B-B1F1F7A2086F.png.2c751bc7f19d89ba429de0c9484564db.png

Saw credits last night. Had a total blast despite the bugs. Will still play on and do some more ventures. 

Really hope it’s not the end of the series because of the (mostly) unwarranted internet pile-on.  

35 minutes ago, BabelRich said:

Really hope it’s not the end of the series because of the (mostly) unwarranted internet pile-on.  

Is that a thing? Genuine question as I exist in a sphere where I just avoid that kind of bullshittery.

8 minutes ago, marsh said:

Is that a thing? Genuine question as I exist in a sphere where I just avoid that kind of bullshittery.

100%. Any buggy game you can meme videos of will instantly attract it regardless of whether it's fun or not, and the decidedly non-gangster design of the main cast doomed it online from its reveal. 

Fanbases can kinda suck at times. See also: The Devil May Cry fanbase around the time of DmC.

40 minutes ago, Hexx said:

8AD1BD07-6D0D-4718-BA2B-5C54FD5D2682.thumb.jpeg.30a26229072352472a642ce0c51ed369.jpeg

The cutting edge materials are great (that pattern moves in game)0

Indeed. I spent the last part of the game in a snazzy mirror shirt. 

6 minutes ago, marsh said:

Yeah just going off a little bit I couldn’t help myself from reading on Reddit when looking for info. 

It’s just the usual bullshit. 

And done.

Very sorry the main story is over - I was remarkably attached to the characters given the limited time/back story. The story itself was by the numbers but I still enjoyed it loads because of characters. Given reception it's sad to think (DLC aside) their story is done.

It's very much a 6/7 game make no mistake, but I'm sad it's become the internets designated punching bag for a while. What is it is it does ok, not spectacular. And it's very clearly "old style" the even trying to move things forward. But because it tries, it doesn't fail. It's just solid at what it was and if you like this sort of game you'll like it.

Didn't get too many bugs. Many thing was my customisation of colours etc on clothing reset so had to reapply, but that's 2 secs of the menu. I had 2 mission restarts that froze, but mostly that was it.

There's some very odd choices e.g.

• you can't flip a car back over unless I missed, so if you flip, even on a mission you're done
  • you can't fast travel in missions, but there's no hint where the mission starts until you're underway.
  • XP curve is all over the place - I'd leveled to 20 very quickly, way before perk that increases XP
  • Money rewards are - you're earning 500k per hour, but a 30min mission will give you 4k

I'd guessed it was pushed out the door before they deemed it ready...

Not sure how much of content I'll mop up. It's fun enough but there's A LOT of it  (e.g. 14 missions to bring trucks back to base) even though I've done a fair amount inbetween missions and without the characters ongoing interaction I think it might stale fast.

Also at times it looks fucking glorious 

Spoiler

3495AB36-255F-4670-9D0A-A70312C982B7.thumb.jpeg.31dfc2170deea85dbb43a1028464fff5.jpeg

I just finished it as well, and I think your assessment's fair. It's super fun, pretty predictable and in my case fairly buggy as well.

That said... 'super fun' is the part I'll remember, as well as the desert looking jaw dropping - purple sky, lots of neon and fireworks going off in some dude's backyard are 'I gotta screenshot this right now' levels of visual beauty.

The crew are a likable bunch. They do look like they're in the wrong game, and occasionally say shit that'll make you roll your eyes, but in the main they can be pretty funny and do give off the vibe of a bunch of pals out for a good time. The jokes can certainly be pretty good throughout (the name the cops give the Saints got an audible laugh from me) though some of them fall flat - as can be expected when there's such a continuous stream of them throughout.

Story has some good beats, but it's not a strong narrative which is a real shame - it leads to the activities and even the missions feeling detached from what you're doing, unlike the pitch perfect territory war being waged in Saints Row 2. Still, some of those missions are a pretty great time. The crazier the better, so the Train, the Yacht and the riding shotgun sidequests stick out for me. Toxic delivery, on the other hand, was a complete dud and some of the others felt a little rote.

Biggest takeaway is that they pulled it out of the oven a bit early and opened themselves up to Cyberpunk style mockery due to the state of obvious and repeatable bugs in the game. I hard crashed several times, got stuck in the character creator, had it delete saved boss customizations and overwrite them with new saves despite having plenty of room, stopped my ability to fire during a gunfight, stuck me to a car where nothing I tried worked including quick travel... I've a lot of tolerance for bugs as they're usually either a slight inconvenience or amusing in twisted ways, but there's a lot of them.

Even so, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it and I'd probably give it a 7.5. However, I also enjoy supposedly mediocre games way more than what others consider masterpieces, so realistically it could be graded as A Damn Good Time / 10.

Incidentally, I had a look at the Reddit for it after completion and... we're all fucking doomed if that's the state of critical discourse these days. 

In summation... Snickerdoodle doesn't suffer fools gladly, and neither should you.

I guess the bugs are in the pc version? Aside from some roadside furniture appearing inside a car I was driving, the game crashing once, the ps5 version I've been playing seems to be ok.

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

Is there a horde mode in this one like with SR3?

Not from the menu, but at a certain point you can call out a showdown with any of the factions at pretty much any time - though it stops after you kill the 'boss' of the wave.

@marsh Nope, I was playing on Series X. Maybe PS5's more stable? I had a lot of stuff go wrong... though I think the PS5 got a hotfix earlier than the other platforms, so maybe that's straightened out some of the more glaring issues.

I'm losing the will to continue at the moment. To continue the main story I have to place 2 more ventures and finish 1 more. The only ones I have available to place cost 400k each (I make 90k an "hour") and to be honest the ventures I have placed that need finishing are all awful. I've done the less tedious ones. I also don't want to play for another 2 to 3 hours doing busy work just to get to a mission I want to play.