A general debate on Retro / Pixel / Voxel / Blocky Horror Show games

Hello Goaty ♥

16 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

I mean, what is it supposed to represent? Old games? They didn't look that pixelated though a CRT.

They didn't, and old games that were designed to run on a CRT tend to fare badly when presented on a modern display.

Pixel art that's intended for a modern display can and does look beautiful, however. It may not be to everyone's taste, but it really grates to see people dismiss it as something inherently bad. To bring up Cuphead again, I fucking hate that animation style. I appreciate what they went for, and they nailed it, and it's absolutely not to my taste at all so I haven't bothered with the game, but I recognise that a lot of people love it - I don't criticise them for a 1920s throwback, but it seems some find it fair game to rail against pixel art because it was used in 1990.

Not to say you're doing that here, that was more a general comment.

8 minutes ago, matt0 said:

But you didn't.

You played games that looked like them, but weren't in widescreen, had less sprites on screen, smaller bosses, smaller environments, less background detail because of memory limitations, less animations and spot details because of memory limitations, were riddled with sprite flicker and slow down, didn't have 30+ years of progressive game design to draw on, didn't have 30+ years of animation development to draw on, didn't have 30+ years of musical evolution to draw on, were full of compromises to fit in to cart sizes, would cut sound effects off when a new one played because all the other sound channels were playing the music etc. etc.

Yes i did though

And if you liked the Castlevania games, you're cutting your own nose off to spite your face by not playing some new metroidvania games which have that same style (but often look a lot better because of course they do).

There's single background layers in Huntdown or bosses in Axiom Verge that are about the size of the entire PC Engine sprite and tile size capacities, so you couldn't pick a better example to show how things have progressed. 

Seeing screenshots of Hotline Miami really put me off the game as the retro aesthetic didn’t appeal to me at all and then I played it and was blown away. Not sure what my point is but go and play Hotline Miami it’s ace. 

1 hour ago, matt0 said:

This is before I get on to my main gripe with Ori which is that everything is a fucking glowing orb. The enemies, the pick-ups, the enemy bullets, the upgrades. It's all fucking orbs.

This times a million. It's a triumph of art over all, especially gameplay considerations.

11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Seeing screenshots of Hotline Miami really put me off the game as the retro aesthetic didn’t appeal to me at all and then I played it and was blown away. Not sure what my point is but go and play Hotline Miami it’s ace. 

I can give it a go!