Vigil - new BBC Sunday night drama

memories

I was impressed to see that workstations on nuclear submarines have

Spoiler

vents to blast fire-retardant gas into the face of the crewmember working there when emergency reactor shutdowns occur.

Also...

Spoiler

Given the armed security at the nuclear submarine base, how did the protester manage to somehow get to the crew accommodation block before being aprehended?

Apart from my tedious internet nitpicking though, it's been entertaining so far.

I’ve been enjoying this (although the initial trawler incident did have me giggling a little). I could do without the detective’s family trauma thread though. So far it’s not added much that matters other than slowing down the bit I care about.

I can’t unsee Paterson Joseph as Johnson in Peepshow, and the show is fucking daft. Lots of nitpicks and the cgi is woeful compared to what a lot of TV shows can do now, but it is compelling, dammit.

Yeah it’s a compelling watch. Just like

Line if Duty,characters giving lots of looks so they’re all a bit sus. Interesting swerve though at the end of the second episode.  

They really should spend a bit more on CGI or just not rely on it as it takes you out of it. The trawler being pulled down was awful. I wondered if it was because I was watching UHD version on iPlayer. Apart from the CGI, UHD looked amazing. The scenes over the water were phenomenal. Some of the best I’ve seen.  

Big cast in this, quite fun trying to remember who I've seen people in. 

Very compelling TV, but you can see it's going to get dafter and dafter as it goes on. It's all well made though (CGI not included) so glad to be on for the ride. 

My word, this is good. Blitzed all three episodes in the oner tonight, gutted we have to wait for more. It’s got a bit of The Fall, a bit of The Killing, a bit of… Hunt for Red October?

Stretches credulity a bit a times, but it moves at such a clip you hardly have time to process. Johnson as a submarine commander is just Mark’s wet dream writ large. 

It’s brilliant. 

Yeah this is great, familiar stuff - far-fetched soapy bits and all - we just binged all four episodes currently available omg.  
The Beeb has a good formula now after Line of Duty and Bodyguard and I don’t blame them for sticking with it - though they need to commit more budget to CGI still, if they’re gonna try such opening sequences and sell the show well internationally.

Hmm. Found last night’s episode slightly disappointing. The flashbacks to the relationship are a bit cringey and I’m not entirely sure what the point is - I hope it’s not simply having to explain why Amy got involved in a gay relationship.  Maybe  they’re laying it on thick so Rose Leslie will do something highly risky when they don’t get a response from the sub?

The ‘let’s not tell her it’s a drill’ and that whole scene created zero tension. At one point I thought it was a dream sequence. Was that the the point - are we supposed to be thinking maybe the DCI has lost it for a few minutes?

Still decent though and interested to see who’s in on what. The Police ‘Boss’ can’t be so squeaky clean - something going on there. 

Yeah, last nights was kind of weak. The drill and the russian guy being released was a bit silly. 

The best bit of bad CGI was in the first episode when Suranne Jones was being lowered onto the submarine - it looked like something from a PS2 game. Still loving it though.

On 08/09/2021 at 22:52, Popo said:

Johnson as a submarine commander is just Mark’s wet dream writ large. 

"You get a Vanguard class nuclear sub patrolling those waters and you are seriously patrolling those waters."

12 hours ago, Chosty said:

"You get a Vanguard class nuclear sub patrolling those waters and you are seriously patrolling those waters."

Are there any genuine Johnson quotes that might fit?  I bet there’s loads, I just can’t think of any for now

13 hours ago, Triple A said:

Are there any genuine Johnson quotes that might fit?  I bet there’s loads, I just can’t think of any for now

What this department needs is a kick up the arse so hard, my foot'll go right up your digestive tract and wiggle out your mouth like a little leather tongue.

As expected, this show has become sillier and sillier. It's still watchable but the interesting premise setup in the first episode has become flattened by too many layers of conspiracy. They should have cut away most of the story and kept it to 2-3 tightly edited episodes.

The main detective, freaking out over the missile drill was ridiculous, like they'd stop a real launch cos she said so? The ending,

Spoiler

Where the cook is dead and the coxon runs at her with respirator on, is set up for a gas leak by the Russians. He didn't kill her.

The Russian spy still with a bleeding wound a few days after being superficially stabbed is just absurd. A guy like that surely would know basic wound care. I know I'm being picky but it's a bit much.

Back on form after the slight silliness of last week. They really know how to wring every ounce of tension out of each episode, and this was possibly the most tense yet. And how about that cliffhanger? 2 or 3 phobias being needled, there.