Rate the last series you completed out of 5 - No spoilers!

Rayn

Spoilers from series are often far worse than having a 90m film spoiled so keep it short. 

I'll start with a new one I just finished. 

Clickbait - Netflix

A beloved and on the surface perfect family father disappears and shortly after pops up in a video on the internet where, while physically bruised/hurt, he flicks through cue cards which states he abuses women, he's killed a woman and as soon as the video hits 5 million views he'll be killed. 

This is a strange one to review because it's kinda all over the place. It has some really solid actors and some really shit ones. At times it's very dark and believable but in the next moment it's just a load of BS. 

Overall, though, the missus and I were entertained and it was hard to stop watching as we were always intrigued by the mystery and where it would go in the next episode. If you're going to watch it, don't expect a realistic portrait of how stuff actually works in the real world, especially how the police does their business. 

Binge worthy, good while it lasts but ultimately forgettable. 

7/10

15 Storeys High - both series (rewatch) *****
House of Fools - both series (rewatch) *****
Can't Get You Out of My Head *****
I think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson - (series 2) ***

edit: Thought I'd misread the title since even the OP is rating out of ten :D

David Milch's Deadwood - 9.75 Cocksuckers/10

This deserves all the praise it rightfully gets, top tier classic HBO, the biggest negative being it was cancelled before its natural conclusion. I'd never have thought I would ever watch something with quite so much use of the word

Spoiler

cunt

Only HBO would ever attempt it, as I've certainly not seen or heard of anything which has come out since then that would even dare attempt such a thing.

I'm going through Justified at the moment, and you can tell what a difference the broadcaster makes to the tone and general ambitions of an idea. And the primary reason I'm even watching it is for the tangential relationship it holds with Deadwood.

17 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I got three episodes into S2 and gave up after loving s1. 

Amazingly we persevered until the end, desperately trying to find when it got good. It never did.

It was as if the story writers took a holiday and drafted in some work experience to write it. 4/10 is being generous. Watched the Trailer for S3 and it doesn't look like it gets any better. Officially binned off now. 

1 hour ago, Jamin said:

Amazingly we persevered until the end, desperately trying to find when it got good. It never did.

It was as if the story writers took a holiday and drafted in some work experience to write it. 4/10 is being generous. Watched the Trailer for S3 and it doesn't look like it gets any better. Officially binned off now. 

It turns into almost a completely different show in season 3, it's worth checking an episode or two to see if you like it. It's better than season 2 and some of the stuff in it is reasonably interesting.  It's still nowhere near as good as season 1 though.

I recently watched Snowfall after putting it off for ages. 5/5, it's amazing.

The Sopranos S1/S2 - Never seen this before as I was 12 when it first came out, but it's very good. There's some slightly dated things (like the writers tendency to grab some unrelated symptom from an extreme psychiatric condition to write an episode around, which makes me think by the end of the series Tony will have some mash-up version of narcolepsy, schizophrenia and hysterical blindness) but overall it's aged surprisingly well - I don't know why series ever moved away from the format of a small self-contained episode plot that also ties into a larger whole, because it's the best. 5/5

Just watched the last episode of Sweet Tooth, based on the premise and the trailer I didn’t think I’d like it very much but I found it very entertaining. A bit predictable at times but beautifully shot and generally very well acted. 8/10

Patriot - Amazon Prime

I’m not sure how this managed to slip past me as the pilot was first released 6 years ago, but I hoovered up both seasons in a few days. I can quite comfortably say without any sense of hyperbole that this is the best tv show I’ve ever seen.

It follows John Tavner, an intelligence officer, who goes undercover at an industrial piping firm to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear capabilities. 

Brilliantly written, darkly comic, an amazing ensemble of characters played by a stellar cast. Slick, funny, heartbreaking, tense, inventive and interspersed with a selection of off-the-wall narrative folk songs.

Overall it feels like Barry or Fargo if they’d been directed by Wes Anderson.

Unfortunately cancelled by Amazon after its second season, but tied up nicely regardless.

5/5

Cool. Very cool.

Britannia S1 & S2 - 8/10

I watched the first episode of this when it first came out, and wrote it off as being a bit naff. Decided to give it another go though, as I loved the druid imagery that I kept seeing from it. So glad I did. Takes a while to find its feet, but its just pure brutal bonkers fun once it does.

Onto season 3 now.

Clickbait - Netflix

A very modern take on the thriller, exploring interesting themes around identity, social media and general use of everyday technology can influence events. 

Clickbait starts with a good and interesting premise, and it cleverly weaves it's tale around a different character each episode. 

The problems are plentiful, however. The series (like so much on Netflix) is about three episodes too long, we were longing for it to finish and then discovered there was another few episodes to go. I recon two episode could have been entirely cut without editing almost anything else. 

It's utterly ridiculous at times, with some crazy character decisions and reveals that clearly would never happen, and there is one incredible sequence involving a reporter that has the most insane run of dumb luck I may have ever seen on screen.  

The acting is all over the shop. The wife of the story is actually quite good, the sister on the other hand can only wish she had the intensity and unhinged brilliance of Michaela Cole. 

The final episode is the most disconnected from the rest of the run, almost to annoyance following the build-up, but it actually worked surprisingly well. I was impressed they managed to answer all of questions, as crazy as some of them seemed. 

Clickbait felt like an overly extended Black Mirror episode by a less talented writer. I was relieved it was over, but it did enough to pull me through to the end. 

2/5

The Shield - all of it!  10/10 Top Tier TV!

fucking superb!  i watched some of it back in the day, but didnt finish. So went through it on Prime. its still so fucking good, but more than that, it makes more modern shows look absolute shite with its use of BEING ON LOCATION!!!!! and not being a fucking CG fest!

The acting, the writing, and most importantly , the cinematography to get it!

The HD treatment well and truly works (apart from a few early blunders in the first couple seasons where you can see crew now and again)

4 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

The Shield - all of it!  10/10 Top Tier TV!

fucking superb!  i watched some of it back in the day, but didnt finish. So went through it on Prime. its still so fucking good, but more than that, it makes more modern shows look absolute shite with its use of BEING ON LOCATION!!!!! and not being a fucking CG fest!

The acting, the writing, and most importantly , the cinematography to get it!

The HD treatment well and truly works (apart from a few early blunders in the first couple seasons where you can see crew now and again)

The greatest. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling - ***½

I had trouble reading Garry's writing and there were a lot of snippets from his journals shown and it may as well have been written in Russian! Would have been nice to have someone reading that out. Gilbert Gottfried would have been a good choice, he has a lightness of touch that would have suited the tone well.

On 16/09/2021 at 08:31, Mystacon said:

Patriot - Amazon Prime

I’m not sure how this managed to slip past me as the pilot was first released 6 years ago, but I hoovered up both seasons in a few days. I can quite comfortably say without any sense of hyperbole that this is the best tv show I’ve ever seen.

It follows John Tavner, an intelligence officer, who goes undercover at an industrial piping firm to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear capabilities. 

Brilliantly written, darkly comic, an amazing ensemble of characters played by a stellar cast. Slick, funny, heartbreaking, tense, inventive and interspersed with a selection of off-the-wall narrative folk songs.

Overall it feels like Barry or Fargo if they’d been directed by Wes Anderson.

Unfortunately cancelled by Amazon after its second season, but tied up nicely regardless.

5/5

Cool. Very cool.

Watched the first two and really liked them. V different. Unfortunately, didn’t pass the ‘watch with the kids test’ or the very high bar that meets the ‘just my wife and I test’ (her high bar anyway as we wasted 6 good hours on Vigil). 

Reservation Dogs - FX

Comedy/drama following a bunch of teenagers on a Native American reservation as they get into scrapes and try to get money together to leave for California. Taika Waititi is one of the creators and it has that slightly skewed humour he does. 

Loved this. A new setting, all native cast, funny and sad. My favourite TV of the year probably along with Mare of Easttown and Its a Sin. 

3 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

Reservation Dogs - FX

Yes!! I adored everything about this show, especially the Dogs themselves, all new faces, but by the end, it felt like we were part of their gang.

Beautiful, considered and poignant television.