IGNORED

Rate the last series you completed out of 5 - No spoilers!

Rayn

9 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Mark Cunliffe on Letterboxd wrote some good reviews of all the Cracker episodes (though Letterboxd/The Movie Database have since removed some of them, because of their inconsistent criteria about what qualifies as a film). You might be interested in reading them:

https://boxd.it/15ymU

Direct links to his third series reviews - he's a bit more critical of the third series than you are:

Brotherly Love: https://boxd.it/htZFF

Best Boys: https://boxd.it/hvgsZ

True Romance: https://boxd.it/hyoDx

To be honest I've never been an in-depth critic, a lot of my reviews are written as soon as I've watched them and my feelings are still fresh. So it's always interesting to read these sort of reviews that are a bit more forensic. Cheers.

Watched Wet Hot American Summer : First Day at Camp and Ten Years Later, after having watched the 2001 film for the first time last week. 5/5, the whole saga is very silly genius. There's a joke in the last episode which they waited 16 years to make, which is simply glorious commitment to a bit.

Kin

A crime drama about an Irish gangster family locked in a feud with other gangsters. This was an Irish TV/AMC co-production with a decent cast - Aidan Gillen, Ciaran Hinds, Charlies Cox. But it went nowhere and was kind of boring by the end. Some nice shots of Dublin though and Charlies Cox's Irish accent was perfect. 

3/5

The Sopranos S2 - The most interesting thing this does is break with the format of the first season, the every-episode conceit of the psychological sessions are gone, the two characters kept apart, it's bold because you want the comfort of the familiar, and they just don't let you have it. And just generally it's a series filled with great stuff: the trip to Italy, one of Tony's crew being an informer, him butting heads with an older mafioso out of prison, Christopher's fuckups, etc. Plots from the first season that weren't really great, like all the stuff with the priest, is dropped. And best of all, the shit Season 1 "Tony gets bizarre symptoms like narcolepsy or hallucinating people because all mental illness is interchangeable if you're a hack writer" episodes have died forever. 5/5

The Sopranos S3 - Similarly strong, especially with the first half of the season continuing most of the plot points, there's a lot more of a focus on Tony's family and his relationships here, it's almost shifting into a soap especially with the improved cameras or whatever they introduced this season that leads to a glossier image. Not to say the crime stuff is gone, Christopher and Paulie butting heads now he's a made man is great stuff (this is the season with the Pine Barrens episode), and new arrival Joe Pantoliano is as entertaining a scumbag character here as in Memento. 5/5

I Know Whst You Did Last Summer - Pretty terrible TV version of the book that the film with the same name was based on. Annoying characters and a story dragged out over 8 episodes that could have been told in 2. Not sure why I watched it all but the last episode did have some good shocks and twists.

2/5

State Of Play (2003)

Generally enjoyable political thriller, if a touch soapy in places. John Simm and his team of journalists including Benedict Wong, Kelly Macdonald and James McAvoy investigate the mysterious death of MP David Morrissey's researcher. The final of the six episodes let it down a bit as it was frankly a bit messy, but I won't say any more in case anyone checks it out, and it's worth watching. It does feel very BBC-circa-2003, and so by law Bill Nighy has to feature.

3.5/5

19 hours ago, joemul said:

I've got one episode of Justified left to watch and the entire show is absolute garbage. Genuinely terrible. They even waste Walton Goggins somehow.

0.5/5

I can't tell if this is some kind of joke... If not, why the hell did you watch so much of it? 

Also, you are wrong. 

Battle Star Galactica - 4.5/5

First time I have rewatched it since the original airing & it held up brilliantly.  I even enjoyed the second half of season 4 more this time around now I knew what was coming & developed a new appreciation for the final episode that I had largely overlooked first time out. 

Overall a brilliant series particularly if like me you were old enough to grow up with the original BSG in the 80's.

1 hour ago, Percy Filth said:

I can't tell if this is some kind of joke... If not, why the hell did you watch so much of it? 

Also, you are wrong. 

once I’ve started a book/film/show/game I find it difficult to not finish. 

And yes, it was bad. Real bad. It was final-season-of-The-Mentalist bad

1 hour ago, joemul said:

once I’ve started a book/film/show/game I find it difficult to not finish. 

And yes, it was bad. Real bad. It was final-season-of-The-Mentalist bad

I'm glad you mentioned the Mentalist! 

But Justified (even if you didn't like it) sets out it's stall within the first 2 episodes. I always thought it was divisive enough to make you a devotee or just... Not bothered?

As a series I'd give it a 5 (or 4.5 as it did go a bit formulaic for a bit) 

On 18/11/2021 at 21:56, joemul said:

I've got one episode of Justified left to watch and the entire show is absolute garbage. Genuinely terrible. They even waste Walton Goggins somehow.

0.5/5

Hmmm, interesting. Did you find it bad from the very start or did it get worse over time?

I've seen some of it, but like most other acclaimed shows, it lacks the real killer edge to keep me interested enough to blaze through it so it's on the ever increasing partially digested list discarded in the quest to find some more actual GOAT-worthy TV.

Ted Lasso S1 (Apple+)

I don't know why I've not seen this before but started on this a couple of days ago and finished the first season last night. It's actually the best new comedy show I've seen in years and I really don't have any critique. Flawless entertainment with great performances all round. Can't wait to start watching S2. 

5/5

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/11/2021 at 12:18, mushashi said:

Since you mention Walton Goggins, I assume you have seen The Shield?

What's your opinion of that one? as it has an even more acclaimed reputation than Justified.

Yeah. The Shield is sensational, and Walton is as good as anyone in the show. High praise indeed. 

Dopesick 4/5

Excellent dramatisation of the Oxycontin epidemic in the USA.

Hits some familiar beats but does it very well. It's also a limited series which is a bonus in my experience.

It really crams a lot of detail into the eight episodes, as well as building up believable and flawed characters. 

Really recommended.

On 11/10/2021 at 07:30, Festoon said:

Maid

Really excellent drama. Star turn from Margaret Qually making good on the promise shown in Once Upon A Time In America. Depressing and frustrating but compelling. Really well written and structured.

Ocassionally, amid all the dross, Netflix get something like this made for actual adults.

5/5

Just started watching this last night, seems excellent so far (wasn't sure about it from the first episode though, but it really settles into itself.

The Queen's Gambit 5/5

Haven't just watched this, so I guess I am cheating but I have never seen a more beautifully shot, written and directed series.

Brilliant performances throughout make this fictional tale of a troubled woman conquering a mens' world.

If you haven't seen this yet, put it next on your list.

50 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Just started watching this last night, seems excellent so far (wasn't sure about it from the first episode though, but it really settles into itself.

It maintains it all the way through. Career-making performance, in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

The Queen's Gambit 5/5

Haven't just watched this, so I guess I am cheating but I have never seen a more beautifully shot, written and directed series.

Brilliant performances throughout make this fictional tale of a troubled woman conquering a mens' world.

If you haven't seen this yet, put it next on your list.

I turned this off about 20 minutes in. Does it improve?