Jump to content
IGNORED

Moonfall: Roland Emmerich


monkeydog
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I love how America seems to be the only country in the world in that trailer.

 

That's also true in the whole movie I think. But then I'm not sure I remember any footage of them destroying anywhere other than the US either so what goes around comes around I guess.

 

The whole earth part of the film seems to take part within a very small area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw this at the weekend and it was just bad. Not entertaining bad, just boring bad. Characters made stupid decisions at every turn, it followed many of the same plot beats as 2012 (but not fun) and it lacked any excitement. I mean, the moon is crashing into the Earth and it manages to be dull!

 

I did quite like Patrick Wilson, but the cast had no chemistry and the son had no acting talent so I didn't care if they loved or died. 

 

It did surprise me with the actual central conceit (because I knew nothing about it before going in) but not in a good way. Much preferred The Day After Tomorrow and 2012 as proper disaster films - this was a disaster in a different way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

I saw this at the weekend and it was just bad. Not entertaining bad, just boring bad. Characters made stupid decisions at every turn, it followed many of the same plot beats as 2012 (but not fun) and it lacked any excitement. I mean, the moon is crashing into the Earth and it manages to be dull!

 

I did quite like Patrick Wilson, but the cast had no chemistry and the son had no acting talent so I didn't care if they loved or died. 

 

It did surprise me with the actual central conceit (because I knew nothing about it before going in) but not in a good way. Much preferred The Day After Tomorrow and 2012 as proper disaster films - this was a disaster in a different way.

That’s a shame. I love a bit of Emmerich disaster porn and his other films as well (ok, maybe not Anonymous). Nobody else seems to bother with disaster movies anymore and I love a bit of silly world in peril blockbuster. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, sandman said:

That’s a shame. I love a bit of Emmerich disaster porn and his other films as well (ok, maybe not Anonymous). Nobody else seems to bother with disaster movies anymore and I love a bit of silly world in peril blockbuster. 

Yeah, I really like TDAT and 2012 but this has none of the visual flair, destruction nor even characterisation of those films (and they are hardly big on making you care about the cast.) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched this last night with the missus in the cinema with the good seats.

 

Utterly amazing stuff. We laughed through most of it.

 

The cynic in me saw the obvious Chinese money influence in a lot of it. Related to that, an astonishing amount of studio logos at the beginning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was on at my local cinema at 1040am, by 1pm I had already ordered my new lexus SUV. If it can survive anti-gravity conditions like on Earth then should be okay with a bit of wind. 

 

Iain Banks nod too from Roland. Lots of patriotism towards the UK throughout as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oof!

 

Budget: $140m

Box Office : $31.4m

 

Then I saw this gem.

"Lionsgate spent approximately $35 million in promotions and advertisements"

So it's not even made the advertising back yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yikes. I think people are just going to the cinema really infrequently, for extra special occasions, and avoiding them otherwise. Which would explain Spidey doing well, everything else tanking. 

 

I have a Cineworld pass and most showings are pretty empty. And this is a Welsh cinema, so actually have the reassurance of enforcing masks, and gaps of 3 seats between each individual or group. If it was in England and didn't have those measures, I simply wouldn't go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Treble said:

Yikes. I think people are just going to the cinema really infrequently, for extra special occasions, and avoiding them otherwise. Which would explain Spidey doing well, everything else tanking. 

Same. I saw the Spider-Mans film as a calculated risk (and choose an early screening on a weekday, wore an FFP2 mask throughout), probably because of personal investiture in the MCU, but pretty much anything else, I won't risk going into a cinema. Certainly not if it's a weekend, and there's kids there, which will be most films seeing as releases are nearly all 12A certificate these days.

 

(Still annoyed that studios quickly ended their "stream at home" options for films, when the pandemic isn't objectively over.)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no problem with them but I don't think Spiderman or MCU are really 'movies' in the same way the latest one by the guy who did Independence Day is. A media/culture writer would probably call them 'Entertainment Systems' or something, like CoD or FIFA.

 

Has anything that isn't Spiderman or MCU made business since covid?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For 2021, Bond, F&F9, Godzilla vs Kong, Jungle Cruise, Free Guy, Quiet Place 2, Dune, Ghostbusters did over $100m in US alone. Go worldwide and there's a couple of Chinese moves you've maybe not heard of in the top 3!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, LeighCb said:

It's also one of the worst films ever made. 

 

Well... it's not great. But it's leagues ahead of his last film: Geostorm.

 

That was film that is practically unwatchable, but was released pre-Covid and made well over $200m. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Emmerich had nothing to do with Geostorm officially but it was directed by his long time production partner Dean Devlin who has worked with Emmerich on a lot of his films, co wrote and produced Universal Soldier, Stargate, Godzilla, Independence Day (and second unit director). Geostorm was Devlin's first proper film and with it being Emmerich-like disaster, presumably he and Emmerich talked about it and he gave ideas. (yes I went on imdb)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cinema is doing okay, it's not just Spiderman, which is like, the fourth highest grossing film of all time. There have been plently of hits since the pandemic.

 

This is just a bad movie, improved by watching it in the cinema with some cans. But no surprise it has tanked. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Yeah watched it last night.

 

It seemed to be a reskinned Day after tomorrow but with a twist.

 

Overall it was enjoyable but the entire premise it a bit dumb and lots of stupid stuff happened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

Think I'll wait for the 4k release. Should be tomorrow!

 

Nah, think it's the day after tomorrow. 

 

I quite enjoyed this in the cinema, despite it being preposterously bad. Patrick Wilson is happy adding the right dash of camp, but John Bradley absolutely saves it. 

 

That's not to say its in any way good. Halle Berry is a plank and the de-aging they used means she has to keep as still as possible in each shot, which is unintentionally hilarious. 

 

Also unintentionally hilarious is the Chinese exchange student. Truly the Poochie of 2022. In fact, the wider cast are completely flat and bland and you could (should) cut them entirely. The B plot about the kid finding safe shelter is practically unwatchable. 

 

The good stuff is Samwell Tarly, some decent VFX and a bonkers payoff, but I'd not try and convince people it's anything more than slightly tarted-up garbage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Treble said:

 

Nah, think it's the day after tomorrow. 

 

I quite enjoyed this in the cinema, despite it being preposterously bad. Patrick Wilson is happy adding the right dash of camp, but John Bradley absolutely saves it. 

 

That's not to say its in any way good. Halle Berry is a plank and the de-aging they used means she has to keep as still as possible in each shot, which is unintentionally hilarious. 

 

Also unintentionally hilarious is the Chinese exchange student. Truly the Poochie of 2022. In fact, the wider cast are completely flat and bland and you could (should) cut them entirely. The B plot about the kid finding safe shelter is practically unwatchable. 

 

The good stuff is Samwell Tarly, some decent VFX and a bonkers payoff, but I'd not try and convince people it's anything more than slightly tarted-up garbage. 

 

Apparently Josh Gad was supposed to be playing the part that John Bradley ended up playing. Happy that happened though tbh.

 

What was the deal with the son anyway? One of the directors kids or something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched this last night and was left feeling like that was pretty good fun but at the same time what a load of rubbish. In the end I found it a relatively enjoyable way to waste a few hours. Won't be watching it again though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.